Bank of China in USA

Guest jin979

just the link

http://www.bocusa.com/portal/Info?id=236&lang=1&

Anyone have experience, use them ?

BOC America is no different than any other US bank. They have no direct ties to BOC China, meaning that you cannot link your accounts together and they have no special relationship with each other. They do have a department that deals with BOCA-BOCC business, it is fee based as if you were dealing with any bank and their is no discounts for "staying within the family". Federal and State laws govern BOCA which prohibit international account transfers.

I spoke to a BOCA account rep last year because I thought it might be an easier way to move funds back and forth at less cost and hassle.

What I just stated is in regard to personal accounts. Business and corporate accounts have different rules. This website outlines what is possible for business accounts only.

Edited by chengdu4me (see edit history)
Guest jin979

just the link

BOC America is no different than any other US bank. They have no direct ties to BOC China, meaning that you cannot link your accounts together and they have no special relationship with each other. They do have a department that deals with BOCA-BOCC business, it is fee based as if you were dealing with any bank and their is no discounts for "staying within the family". Federal and State laws govern BOCA which prohibit international account transfers.

I spoke to a BOCA account rep last year because I thought it might be an easier way to move funds back and forth at less cost and hassle.

What I just stated is in regard to personal accounts. Business and corporate accounts have different rules. This website outlines what is possible for business accounts only.

business account looks better- jin enterprises.yunnan.cn :angry:

Edited by jin979 (see edit history)

In the past, I have tried to send wire transfer money from three different banks to china; a local bank, a bank of america, and the bank of china in NY; each time to a bank of china in china.

Of the three. sending boc>>boc was far easier and much cheaper and less hassles.

Although at this point, I'd just use western union if possible.

just the link

business account looks better- jin enterprises.yunnan.cn :roller:

Jin i agree my husband has company.

Nuworld designs

• 2 weeks later...

This summer I needed to transfer some funds to China to cover my travel expenses. I decided to try Bank of China. I have a Bank of China account (±¾Íâ±ÒÒ»¿¨Í¨) which I opened a few years ago in China. Before departing US, I visited a Bank of China New York branch, wrote a check to cover the transferred funds and the $20 fee.

The process is quite simple and fast. You need to bring a valid ID, your social security card (for the first time) and a credit card (which is suggested but not used). You also need to know in which branch (address is requested but not required) the destination account is opened, the account number, the account owner's name, address and phone number etc.

I was told that if I only need to transfer $3000 or less, I could bring in cash and they would wire over right away. For anything over $3000, can't use cash, you would have to wait longer. For example, I went to the NY branch on the 17th of June, I had to wait till the beginning of July to get the money in China (I was told that they would wire on the 30th of June).

Though it took some time to have the money over, I found this process being easy and inexpensive. There were no additional cost when I withdrew from china side. I think I will use Bank of China again next time I need to transfer money.

If you want to try it, I suggest that you call your local branch before go there in person.

Edited by Joanne (see edit history)

BOC---- Security guard---motion with white gloved hand: "Take a number and SIT DOWN!" In my opinion, BOC is DOA in the USA.

:lol:

Sounds like the banks IN China! Seemed like every bank I visited in China did that, banking in China was like visiting the DMV, SLOW!

When paying the visa fee in Guangzhou, we visited the CITIC bank, waited 35-45 min to get to a teller just to pay the fee and get a recipt, only to find out that we needed Yu's passport which was left back in our room, so we had to walk back to our apartment to get it, I "Took an Number" before we left the bank, and by the time we were back to the bank they were just calling our number.

I remarked to Yu about this, must banks around Rochester I have ever dealt with tend to be a few minutes to get to see a teller.

BOC---- Security guard---motion with white gloved hand: "Take a number and SIT DOWN!" In my opinion, BOC is DOA in the USA.

:plane:

Sounds like the banks IN China! Seemed like every bank I visited in China did that, banking in China was like visiting the DMV, SLOW!

When paying the visa fee in Guangzhou, we visited the CITIC bank, waited 35-45 min to get to a teller just to pay the fee and get a recipt, only to find out that we needed Yu's passport which was left back in our room, so we had to walk back to our apartment to get it, I "Took an Number" before we left the bank, and by the time we were back to the bank they were just calling our number.

I remarked to Yu about this, must banks around Rochester I have ever dealt with tend to be a few minutes to get to see a teller.

It's unbelievable how there is absolutely no concern for the customer...We once spent an entire day in GZ trundling around to 2 BOC branches for some reason that escapes me...In the first one we got a number that was more than 100 away from the one they were servicing but there are only like 20 people in the place...Turns out they come in, get a number, GO OUT TO LUNCH, come back and that's just about right... :huh: It's the third world folks... :ph34r:

Guest jin979

This summer I needed to transfer some funds to China to cover my travel expenses. I decided to try Bank of China. I have a Bank of China account (±¾Íâ±ÒÒ»¿¨Í¨) which I opened a few years ago in China. Before departing US, I visited a Bank of China New York branch, wrote a check to cover the transferred funds and the $20 fee.

The process is quite simple and fast. You need to bring a valid ID, your social security card (for the first time) and a credit card (which is suggested but not used). You also need to know in which branch (address is requested but not required) the destination account is opened, the account number, the account owner's name, address and phone number etc.

I was told that if I only need to transfer $3000 or less, I could bring in cash and they would wire over right away. For anything over $3000, can't use cash, you would have to wait longer. For example, I went to the NY branch on the 17th of June, I had to wait till the beginning of July to get the money in China (I was told that they would wire on the 30th of June).

Though it took some time to have the money over, I found this process being easy and inexpensive. There were no additional cost when I withdrew from china side. I think I will use Bank of China again next time I need to transfer money.

If you want to try it, I suggest that you call your local branch before go there in person.

thank you good information.i already have my account in china.

You can wire money from most any USA bank to BOC or China Construction, etc. in China.

You can even perform a wire transfer over the phone after you make a one-time visit to the bank and set up a wire transfer account.

In most cases the wire transfers take 1-3 business days regardless of the amount.

Ask your local bank.

:lol:

It's unbelievable how there is absolutely no concern for the customer...We once spent an entire day in GZ trundling around to 2 BOC branches for some reason that escapes me...In the first one we got a number that was more than 100 away from the one they were servicing but there are only like 20 people in the place...Turns out they come in, get a number, GO OUT TO LUNCH, come back and that's just about right... :rolleyes: It's the third world folks... :D

In general they are slower than USA banks but depends on the city and branch you go to as to how busy they are. However it is not as if EVERY time they take all day to do something.

On the other hand they do some things must faster and quicker than in the USA. Our apartment loan interest was eligible (as part of the stimulus package) to have a reduced rate (down 1.5% points). We went to the bank, signed two forms, and got the new loan rate within 30 minutes. Try that the next time you refinance your loan in the USA.

There are things worse here and things better here in China. But third world .... WTF?