AOS Interviews Today...

My wife and daughter and I had our AOS interviews today at the USCIS Regional Center in Sacramento. It went very smooth and just as it was in GUZ, we were treated very well.

We arrived early and they took us about 10 minutes past our appointment time. Both wife and daughter had back to back time slots, and they took us all at the same time.

A female Chinese/American IO, fluent in Mandarin, had our case files. Her office was large and comfortable. She swore all of us in, and then picked up the files from a box on her floor. She commented that my files were very large and very complete. She added that she liked all the photos. She offered to me that the files were pre-reviewed by other staff in her office, and that she also had time to review it this morning. She again said that the case file was very complete.

She then said she had some standard questions to ask both wife and daughter (she offered that we must ask everyone the same questions) and went down a list of about 6 to 8 questions, e.g., member of CCP; ever been arrested/detained by the police; ever engage in prostitution; ever use or sell illegal drugs, etc, etc.

She had both of them sign the pages with the questions and then asked for their passports. She entered data into the file, from the K-visas and then detached the Form I-94’s. She did not ask for the EAD cards, although I had them with me if she did. She said if we wished to travel to China, before the GC’s arrived, to get an Info-Pass appointment and get the visa page stamped which had the same effect as the GC in possession.

She stated that it might be up to two months for the GC’s to arrive, as she had just this week, a notice that there are recent Green Card production backlogs/delays. I add again, we have been married well over two years, so these will be permanent, 10 year GC's.

She entered a lot of data into her computer and then asked if there were any other questions.

She was very professional but very cordial and friendly. She went back and forth between Mandarin and English when talking to my wife. She did not seem at all bothered when I assisted my wife with the translation of some of her questions/comments in English.

She offered to me something I was not aware of previously. She said that if I adopted my step-daughter, before she was age 16 (now just turned 13) she could use my derivative status for US Citizenship. She only needed to be under my roof, so to speak, for a total of two years. They have been here for one year now, so well before her 16th birthday I will file the paperwork for adoption through my local Superior Court and then file for her US Citizenship by next summer. Such a deal!!

She did not ask to see one single document, which I had with me, in an expandable file, nor any additional photos. Just as I had done with my visa filing, I think the fully front-loading of the case file, including the photos, was a big help with the processing and with the interview.

Again, this AOS process went much faster than I had expected. :cheering:

(About 74 days, from NOA-1 postmark, to Interview date and GC production order)

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)

Hi Roger,

Congradutions......... :huh: :o

Unfortunately, we will only get the two year GC since our two year anniversary will be March 6, 2010.

I had a choice of doing the AOS now (which I did) or waiting to apply for AOS after our two year anniversary.

Since if I had waited, Ling and the boys medical exams would have been over a year.....The medical exams would have cost about $600.00 so I opted for filling AOS early and than lifting conditional residence.

It was really six of one and a half dozen of the other...... :P :P

I am planning on adopting the boys after two years, since as you say your daughter will become a US Citizen, and so will the boys.

They are also 13 years old, but turning 14 in july.

Tom and Ling