change name on passport

Is it necessary for my wife to have her to have her name changed on her Chinese passport to her new married name her name on her change of status card is her married name . she is worried if we go back to visit in china she will have trouble getting back in the USA

Guest ShaQuaNew

Is it necessary for my wife to have her to have her name changed on her Chinese passport to her new married name her name on her change of status card is her married name . she is worried if we go back to visit in china she will have trouble getting back in the USA

You don't need to change the Chinese passport. If however your wife has taken your name, and you've completed all the required documentation in the US to make it legal, that name will appear on all of the travel documents; for example, green card, re-entry permit, advanced parole, and so on. I would think it prudent to travel with the name change documents though.

You can get a name change addendum placed in her passport at the Chinese consulate which will show her married name (similar to an alias).

This MAY save a little grief if you run into someone (usually airlines or Chinese immigration folks on the return trip) who are less familiar with these things, although like Jewsse says, you should be okay without it.