Question for you computer wizards

I am not a computer wiz, so I am sure this is a very stupid question to those of you who are. I just picked up a used laptop for my wife. The person who gave it to me cleaned out all of his programs and just left the windows xp which was great, so it's like starting with a new computer. I have just put in a few things that I know my wife has on her desk top. I just put in the Candle for Love web site. Each time I open it I get this pop up message:

Language Pack Installation

To display language characters correctly you need to install the following language pack

ChineseSimplified

There are three choices given

Never install any language pack

Install

Cancel

My question is.

I am not sure if I should install the language pack now or wait until I give it to . If I install the language pack will I no longer be able to view anything in English? Now I just click it off and continue reading Candle in English.

Thanks for any answers.

if this is indeed for your wife --

just remember that the EASIEST thing to do is to have a tech, in china, reinstall XP for chinese lanugage USAGE.

Otherwise, yer gonna have to suss it all out (foreign language support, which IME she knows, proper IME selection, almost total switch out to chinese language) - the once 'cool thing' in doing this, is that it doesn't invalidate the current xp license.

the 'stuff in china' usually won't be able to be 'properly licensed' - so if you're up to 'try' the changeover in the usa - I think it'd be worth it.

Since we are on this subject, I have a question about XP and/or Vista

When you get to the logon screen, as in, pick the user that you are to get "your" stuff, can you have one user as English and then when switched to another user it is Chinese?

Does it matter which language the Admin user is?

Can we have two Admin users..one in Chinese and one in English?

It wont matter what language the log in name is in, as long as you have installed the characters and the computer can display it, even if you haven't and the characters show up as blocks you know which account it is and simply type in the correct password.

When you get to the logon screen, as in, pick the user that you are to get "your" stuff, can you have one user as English and then when switched to another user it is Chinese?

It's unclear exactly what you want to do - if all you need to do is look at Chinese characters and go to Chinese websites, you don't need two accounts, although you can.

Jiaying just clicks on an icon with the name in Chinese characters, which takes her directly to people.com.cn. It doesn't interfere with anything I do on that computer.

If you want to have all the windows apps and pop-up screens, etc. in Chinese so she can understand what the operating system is doing, you may want to install the Chinese operating system, either in a dual boot configuration, or on a second computer.

It's unclear exactly what you want to do - if all you need to do is look at Chinese characters and go to Chinese websites, you don't need two accounts, although you can.

Jiaying just clicks on an icon with the name in Chinese characters, which takes her directly to people.com.cn. It doesn't interfere with anything I do on that computer.

If you want to have all the windows apps and pop-up screens, etc. in Chinese so she can understand what the operating system is doing, you may want to install the Chinese operating system, either in a dual boot configuration, or on a second computer.

Yea, Randy..that is closer to what I was thinking...I want to be able to do anything I want in English. I want to be able to change and manage the OS in English, but I also want the computer to display Chinese characters to me if they are there (as I learn Chinese, with the help of the computer)

I also want Yan and our son, to be able to use the computer as a Chinese language computer. Our son is very interested in computers, so, total access is also important for him. English should display properly when it is there.Their main functions and environment should be in Chinese as well as the ability to change and manage the OS in Chinese

Is this going to require dual boot?

Edited by chengdu4me (see edit history)

Yes, Very true.

This is what i did for Hong.

Running vista ultimate, I set up two different user accounts.

One for me in English and the other for Hong in Chinese.

With Vista you can set up two different user accounts with two different language set ups.

Yea, Randy..that is closer to what I was thinking...I want to be able to do anything I want in English. I want to be able to change and manage the OS in English, but I also want the computer to display Chinese characters to me if they are there (as I learn Chinese, with the help of the computer)

I also want Yan and our son, to be able to use the computer as a Chinese language computer. Our son is very interested in computers, so, total access is also important for him. English should display properly when it is there.Their main functions and environment should be in Chinese as well as the ability to change and manage the OS in Chinese

Is this going to require dual boot?

3 on 1 unit. Have fun going down that road!... :greenblob:

iirc - you can set up multiple user accounts, each with a different base language, without have dual or multiple boots. it's a bit tricky, but stable once done.

Good Luck !!! If you have a local computer fella close by, have a visit for a braindump? I can't tell you the steps (i do stuff, and forget).

you can try this from microsoft tech support, http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...urlanguage.mspx

i remember at work where we have 10 computers setup for our international intern doctors. the intern would choose the language of their choice prior to login the windows. instead of seeing different user names, you have icons with different languages, such as chinese, korea, japan, russia, france, polish, german, arabics and isales.

i will ask my tech guy how to do it, but anyway, i did the steps above for my wife and she has no problem switching from english to chinese when she needs to use the computer. :mbounce: