Haggle - American Style

whome?

When I was back in States recently I brought a Nikon P90 digital camera from Best Buy. I had not read this article at the time, but having lived in China and being taught by Lao Po to never pay asking price for anything I thought I would try to haggle over the price.

Much to my surprise, he laughed at my attempt of comedy and first price but after 10 minutes we came to a conclusion that saved me 15% over the advertisted price (and it was already cheaper than the best price we could get in HK) by using CASH.

Seems in the new economy we may have an advantage due to the training from our spouses ... :P

As a bonus I got a big brownie points with my Lao Po (but only after I showed her the receipt to prove I was not making it up).

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Smart...cid=RSKMoneyHUB

Edited by whome? (see edit history)

The "Low Price Guarantee" was in vogue for a while, because it allowed the merchant to charge a higher price, and then lower it to the competition for those who noticed

What I found out with this technique was that they would not honor internet prices

They are going to get their profit, especially if they are allowed to start out at a higher price, and leave you with a good feeling about your "haggling" prowess.

Nothing beats simply shopping for the best price. Once you find it, why would you go back to another merchant who might be willing to match it?

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
Guest Tony n Terrific

Simulated discounts are nothing new. The grocery stores are always advertising buy one get one free for their goods. Compare the price and it is usually more then double what you can purchase it for at another store at the regular price. Bottom line is you should get value for the dollar that you spend.

The "Low Price Guarantee" was in vogue for a while, because it allowed the merchant to charge a higher price, and then lower it to the competition for those who noticed

What I found out with this technique was that they would not honor internet prices

They are going to get their profit, especially if they are allowed to start out at a higher price, and leave you with a good feeling about your "haggling" prowess.

Nothing beats simply shopping for the best price. Once you find it, why would you go back to another merchant who might be willing to match it?

The price they offered was equal to lowest price on internet that I found and lower than any price in HK or China (internet or shop).

With the internet can avoid the state sales tax .. I got to buy it 5 min from my house and save the state sales tax plus another 6%. Did they still make money off of it ..sure ... but I got it cheaper than I would have this time last year ... the consumer has the upper hand (for now) in USA ..

I've really started haggling over just about anything. Got something the past week but it had a minor (cosmetic) defect. The sales clerk immediately offered 10% off, I countered with 20%... we split the difference.

With the economy in the poor shape it is in Now is the time to haggle. The most powerful weapon you have besides your cash are your feet... just walk away.

A lot of stores will haggle with you. 10% is usually doable. A lot of it depends on the profit margin. Power tools are a little more difficult because the margins are low. Just about anything else in a woodworking store is negotiable. We offer 10% off discounts to woodworking guild members, students and profesionals.

and get rid of the "mail in rebate" its a con :lol:

I'll drink to that! Mail In rebates, sux!

I bought a new monitor with a $60 mail in...took me 6 months, 2 nasty letters and a face to face, to get it.

When I bagan the "visa process" I had to get a new printer...Office Depot had an instant rebate/in store rebate on their HPs.

Li Yin is very good at getting "freebies" thrown in at the product counters of Macy's, SEPHORIA, Nordstrom's, etc... Besides knowing the bonus days for every brand, she is always getting demonstrations and samples.. What's great about her too, is she's a tough bargain, and she will walk away from deals and the pressure of sales people.