Looking to Invite Inlaws to USA for Visit

Hello everyone

Wow! I can't believe how fast time has flown. It seems as though as last week I was here looking for assistance on how to bring my (Now Wife) from China to the USA. And now, after being married for almost 5 years, we are looking to finally try and have her mother & sister come for a vist. But haven't a clue as to what all is involved nor the steps.

I've tried looking though as many posts here as well as on visajourny and hadn't really found much of anything. One stated that the Mrs must be a USC, another says no. One states we must use DS 156 Form etc but the forms are not only a mystery on their locations, but also, from what I understand, are for the actual inlaw to fill out. So Obviously, I am totally CONFUSED :unsure:

Anyone here gone through the process & have the actual LOW DOWN on this process?

Thanks

My wife's mother got a visa with no problem at all. She is here with us now. She came her March 3rd for a six month stay.

I don't know the details of how she got the visa or in getting one but I don't think it is hard to do. My wife's mother got her visa at the embassy in Beijing. My wife's sister filled out the paperwork. It's alot easier these days for them to get a visa then it was in the past.

Tine has a thread here that you can look at concerning this. It's full of information. Take a look at it. It is pinned in one of the rooms here.

Just fill out the necessary form(s) and submit them. Good Luck!

Pinned at the top of the Visa first step forum is a post, that is a very good start.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8469

They are coming to the USA as visitors so need a Non-immigrant visitor's visa, so need to file a DS-156 to the nearest US Consulate or Embassy.

Hello everyone

Wow! I can't believe how fast time has flown. It seems as though as last week I was here looking for assistance on how to bring my (Now Wife) from China to the USA. And now, after being married for almost 5 years, we are looking to finally try and have her mother & sister come for a vist. But haven't a clue as to what all is involved nor the steps.

I've tried looking though as many posts here as well as on visajourny and hadn't really found much of anything. One stated that the Mrs must be a USC, another says no. One states we must use DS 156 Form etc but the forms are not only a mystery on their locations, but also, from what I understand, are for the actual inlaw to fill out. So Obviously, I am totally CONFUSED :unsure:

Anyone here gone through the process & have the actual LOW DOWN on this process?

Thanks

Your inlaws are applying for the visa, not you. They will need a letter of invitation from you, and maybe an affidavit of support. It's all in Tine's thread, which Dan gave you a link to.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

This I kind of understand. What I am having problems with are:

Where to get the forms (Some places are wanting to charge for them, others are scam sites, and I could not find it on the uscis site)

from what I understand is, All I need to do is send (Post) them a invitation letter for vist, and explain as to when I would like for them to arrive, where they will stay & what and where will we all go during their stay.

Right?

Where to get the forms (Some places are wanting to charge for them, others are scam sites, and I could not find it on the uscis site)

from what I understand is, All I need to do is send (Post) them a invitation letter for vist, and explain as to when I would like for them to arrive, where they will stay & what and where will we all go during their stay.

Right?

DS-156 is an electronic form that is filled out online, and it generates a PDF with a bar-code.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/forms/forms_1342.html

I-134 is on USCIS.GOV

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Right?

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/forms/forms_1342.html

look here for the forms.

Preparing a letter of invitation is a good idea but one was never sent for my wife's mother's visit, therefore, it really isn't a requirement but it wouldn't hurt to do it, I guess.

Never, never pay for immigration forms. Not when they are available for free.

Right?

If your in-laws are still working now, they might want to include docs that show they have enough $$ to support their visit to US and their time here, otherwise you might want to include in your invitation that you will pay for their tickets, their living expenses and for the trips they will make while visiting you and your wife.

I am going to bring my hus's parents from China to US for a visit at the end of this year. They will be going to the Shengyang branch US Consulate. They had a tourist denial about 8 years ago, so hopefully with our situation changed and more Chinese citizen can acutally afford to travel and returning back to China afterward, I hope touist visa will be grant to them this time.

Right?

You can download forms from US consulate/embassy websites in China, they provided forms targeted at Chinese applicants:

http://shanghai.usembassy-china.org.cn/non...rant_visas.html

http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn/niv_info.html

http://chengdu.usembassy-china.org.cn/visas.html

For my parents' visa (they applied twice over the past few years, both granted the visa), I didn't supply any invitation letter. Instead, I wrote to the visa officer to explain the situation (purpose of visit, length of stay, etc.) A less-than-one page letter, easy to read, signed by both my husband and me.

If your wife has siblings, it is better to bring documents showing siblings secure job situation in China.

Basically, use all means to demonstrate parents' ties to China, to show that they will return. If they come and returned as planned, it will be a lot easier to apply next time.

We didn't provide sponsorship documents. In fact, for their first visit, our financial situation was not that great, and I explained that my parents would pay their own way. They did bring their bank info and property paper to the interview, but were not required to show. We supplied proof of employment, copies of passports and my green card, etc.

It is good to bring photos showing the parents and you together.

Good luck!

Edited by Joanne (see edit history)