Magic Jack

Guest Tony n Terrific

Guest Tony n Terrific

I have seen some ads on TV about Magic Jack that can replace your landline service for only $19.95 a year. Pretty cheap if it works if not, expensive.

Has anyone here used this device? If so what are the plus and minus of it. Or possibly is there something new out on the market.

My technical ability on electronics is slim to none and Slim left town.

I had a friend tried one, it requires the use of a PC that has high speed internet.

The device plugs into a USB port and you can then plug a phone like a cordless phone into the device.

I can be temperamental, and in the case of 911 service it may not work correctly in some areas.

Makes a good second line or can save you some $$ if you do a lot of long distance calls within the USA.

I had looked at this last year, thought to get two (one for me, one for her) - but - at the time, there were no call detail records (which I think is important for providing relationship evidence) so I didn't get them.

Things might have changed - perhaps they are supplying call detail records on their online web portal.

In Houston - is currently being sold at the Radio Shack and Walgreens - but the return policies (regardless of where you purchase) are very liberal - if you don't like it, you can return it.

Somehow, my regular VOIP service gives me free international calls - so I get the call detail records...

I do remember reading some technical bits about it, in several reviews, but the thing that stuck out, at least to me - if you buy two, one for USA, one for China - do NOT plug in the one you want to give her for China Usage, in the USA - the activation stuff 'pegs' it to 'that' computer and it's a nightmare to 'rehome it' to another computer.

I have it and it works, sounds just like a normal phoneline, i have it setup where the PC is not required, and also if you have a nokia cell phone you can set up the cell phone to use with Magicjack, kinda neat!! regarding the activation... if you have a cell phone then you can go ahead and replace your home phone service with Magicjack if no cell phone then don't replace homephone yet because it's still too soon to tell with this company... but it's a neat gadget to have. you can also setup a computer phone on your fiancee's computer and she can call your house or cell phone on her computer. I tried this on my finacee's computer and the sound was great, and she was on wireless connection at her house..

I have it and it works, sounds just like a normal phoneline, i have it setup where the PC is not required, and also if you have a nokia cell phone you can set up the cell phone to use with Magicjack, kinda neat!! regarding the activation... if you have a cell phone then you can go ahead and replace your home phone service with Magicjack if no cell phone then don't replace homephone yet because it's still too soon to tell with this company... but it's a neat gadget to have. you can also setup a computer phone on your fiancee's computer and she can call your house or cell phone on her computer. I tried this on my finacee's computer and the sound was great, and she was on wireless connection at her house..

I have a friend who installed one...he loves it and brags about it. :helpsmilie:

I'll chime in. It works great for a 2nd phone. The cons are as mentioned before, typically need your PC to be on in order to receive calls and 911 service can be sketchy. Other than that, it's a great way to give foreign relatives or friends a USA phone number so they can call you anytime free of charge, and vice-versa if you have free US long distance or are lucky enough to have a local number available. And at 19.95 per year, it's worth the price for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the phone lines in China use an RJ-11 connection, like American ones. I purchased a Magic Jack to send to my father-in-law (for the sole purpose if him calling here and not having to pay too much for it). He understands it's a USB device and the computer has to be on, with a phone plugged into the other end. I just want to know if I should send a cheap phone with it too...

I'd recommend Skype. It's not exactly the same as Magic Jack. You can't just plug a regular phone into it. There are some Skype-ready phones available, but I have no experience calling from anything other than my computer or my iPod Touch. I've grown to like the "hands-free" aspect of a headset and mic (though I hate being "tethered to my computer"), and the iPhone Skype application allows me to wander my house while talking with WeiLing. If you have an iPhone, you can use your Skype account with wifi internet. I don't know if Skype works over an iPhone data plan--I only have the non-phone iPod Touch.

Skype does maintain call records up to 6-months, including date and time, duration of call, and the number that you've called. These records can also be exported to a .CSV file, which any spreadsheet program (Microsoft Excel, for example) will open.

Pricing is very reasonable. Calls to China cost $0.021/min, and that includes mobile, landline, Beijing, Guangzhou, or any other phone in China. Calls to the USA are similarly priced, with the only exception being Alaska (at $0.056/min). Alternatively, you can pay a flat fee with a subscription. They advertise that it is unlimited, but tack on a "fair usage" policy that limits it to 10,000 minutes per month. Subscription options range from US/Canada at about $3/month to World for about $12/mo (discounted when 3mo or 12mo plan purchased).

It's pretty easy to setup and use, but I know that Skype isn't the answer for everyone. Hope this helps! :rolleyes:

We have used skype before, and have skype phones/handsets. We have a call asia plan with vonage, so we are able to get in touch with her parents.

What we want to do is provide this as a way for her mom/dad to call America. We registered the Magic Jack and have a USA number. Sending it to her parents in China, will provide them an opportunity to pick up the phone and call us fairly easily (ok, the computer has to be on, and the Magic Jack has to be plugged in).

Does anyone know though if Chinese land line phones use an RJ-11 connector or not?

We have used skype before, and have skype phones/handsets. We have a call asia plan with vonage, so we are able to get in touch with her parents.

What we want to do is provide this as a way for her mom/dad to call America. We registered the Magic Jack and have a USA number. Sending it to her parents in China, will provide them an opportunity to pick up the phone and call us fairly easily (ok, the computer has to be on, and the Magic Jack has to be plugged in).

Does anyone know though if Chinese land line phones use an RJ-11 connector or not?

i was in china last week and looking at the phone line it is RJ-11, but if you are sending the MJ anyawy why not just buy them a phone?

i was in china last week and looking at the phone line it is RJ-11, but if you are sending the MJ anyawy why not just buy them a phone?

I don't know my RJ connectors very well, but I can confirm that I have used my laptop modem for dialup access using an existing phone line, so I conclude that it is the same as it is in the US or at least close enough.

Sorry to bring this thread out of its grave but I've been looking for a good option to use when calling from China to the states. Because I'm unable to get a fast enough internet connection skype doesnt work properly when calling from my computer or my iphone. I tried buying an IP card but thats a hassle as I have to go find a public land line and stand out at 10 p.m. to make a personal call next to the hustling traffic.

Did this magic jack work at all for you in China? I know it runs off the net but maybe its actually clear? Yakun told me about a job interview she went on, an American man at the company was using a blue box type thing connected to the phone, said it was real cheap when calling to the U.S. and a clear signal but didnt get a name of the product.