I-485 A number for naturalized USC

Becoming a US citizen causes the alien registration number to expire; it no longer exist and over time, a number of years, the CIS will recycle the number and use it again.

However, you can list it on the form if you want. It shouldn't hurt anything since the number is expired. It really has no meaning for you anymore. You are a US citizen now!... :P

Becoming a US citizen causes the alien registration number to expire; it no longer exist and over time, a number of years, the CIS will recycle the number and use it again.

However, you can list it on the form if you want. It shouldn't hurt anything since the number is expired. It really has no meaning for you anymore. You are a US citizen now!... :P

I don't think this is correct. My wife's naturization certificate also has her A# on it. Your A# stays with you so the USCIS can retrieve your case history when you apply to sponsor an alien relative.

I don't think this is correct. My wife's naturization certificate also has her A# on it. Your A# stays with you so the USCIS can retrieve your case history when you apply to sponsor an alien relative.

Correct,

The A# is NOT recycled, these numbers just like SSN are assigned to a person for LIFE. This number should also be on the naturalization certificate.

Well, so much for USCIS representatives. I called the USCIS number to ask about this question and that's what I was told. I called them back and the rep said the number doesn't need to be on the I-485. The rep didn't say anything about recycling the number as the first one did. You got to watch those people!

BTW- currently the quickest way to get a "live person", or rep, is to dial the USCIS customer number and then hit 1-2-3.

1- for english and 2 and 3 will get you to a "live person" unless you enjoy that long, excruciating menu voice prompts!

I think that's how you do it but don't hold me to it. :P

Well, so much for USCIS representatives. I called the USCIS number to ask about this question and that's what I was told. I called them back and the rep said the number doesn't need to be on the I-485. The rep didn't say anything about recycling the number as the first one did. You got to watch those people!

BTW- currently the quickest way to get a "live person", or rep, is to dial the USCIS customer number and then hit 1-2-3.

1- for english and 2 and 3 will get you to a "live person" unless you enjoy that long, excruciating menu voice prompts!

I think that's how you do it but don't hold me to it. :ph34r:

The sad part is that this is a call center where they are trained to lookup case status on the web, the same as you can. They often give advice based on their level of expertise, which I assume has to do with how many times they ask "would you like fries with that" at their last job.

Missing You I hope you still have your Naturalization Certificate. This is an important document and the only proof you have other than your passport of being a US citizen. They are expensive to replace and should be kept in a safe place. The USCIS recomends keeping them in a safe deposit box or a fireproof safe. Your A# is on it.

When I first started the process I filled out everything that I thought should be on the form. My immigration lawyer after checking the forms asked me for my A#. I guess if you can get access to or know your A# then put it down.

Your Naturalization Certificate number never changes nor will your certificate itself.

I became a citizen when I was a little kid (through my mom). When I was a teenager and was applying for working papers someone told me at the school to update my picture on the Naturalization Certificate so that they know it's me. At that time IMS (USCIS) told me nothing can be change from the original Naturalization Certificate and it will stay the same even if I needed a duplicate in the future (thus my picture & A# when I was a wee tad stays as is).

A# = Naturalization Certificate #

Edited by amerchin (see edit history)