Anyone know of a quiet mountain resort area?

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone here can give me suggestions for a beautiful quiet high mountain resort area where my wife and I can spend a belated honeymoon. I'm looking for some place with beautiful scenery, large enough to have a decent assortment of restaurants and some nightlife as well as daytime sightseeing opportunities. We are willing to travel to any area in China to experience this, but hoping some one has been somewhere that they can recommend highly.

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Jeff

Guest ShaQuaNew

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone here can give me suggestions for a beautiful quiet high mountain resort area where my wife and I can spend a belated honeymoon. I'm looking for some place with beautiful scenery, large enough to have a decent assortment of restaurants and some nightlife as well as daytime sightseeing opportunities. We are willing to travel to any area in China to experience this, but hoping some one has been somewhere that they can recommend highly.

Thanks

Jeff

My wife and I really enjoyed Guizhou province. It's full of wonderful mountains and waterfalls, and set apart from the hustle bustle of the big cities. You can find several very reasonable tours and groups that travel from city to city, and location to location to take in some of the most majestic sites in China.

By the way, I see this is your first post. Welcome to Candle!

Please feel free to PM me. I have links to several photos, and can also hook you up with a good travel agent if you like.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Hi all,

Thanks

Jeff

My wife and I really enjoyed Guizhou province. It's full of wonderful mountains and waterfalls, and set apart from the hustle bustle of the big cities. You can find several very reasonable tours and groups that travel from city to city, and location to location to take in some of the most majestic sites in C

Thanks, for the welcome and the recommendation. It sounds great, I'll look into it. I'm also on VJ, my wife lives in Hong Kong. Hard to info about immigrating for HK and was referred to this sight from someone on VJ. Glad to be here.

Thanks again.

Hi all,

Thanks

Jeff

Lijiang, Yunnan province, is supposed to be very nice.

http://www.terragalleria.com/asia/china/lijiang/lijiang.html

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/lijiang.htm

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&...=4&ct=title

We were so close to traveling there in December - just so nervous about our upcoming interview that I don't think we would have had fun. It is on the list when we return!

We were so close to traveling there in December - just so nervous about our upcoming interview that I don't think we would have had fun. It is on the list when we return!

We were all set to spend a week there on my second trip until my wife's classmates talked her into taking me to Beijing to see the national treasures instead. I'm glad they did but hope to go to Lijiang some day as well.

Hi all,

Thanks

Jeff

I've been the Huangshan (Yellow Mountain). The mountains are very beautiful. There was white water rafting, if you are into that. Calling it white water rafting might be stretch, but it was fun. They do bus in a lot of tourist, but I am sure you could find a quiet hotel. I saw a few nice hotels; however, the one we spent the first night in could best be described as a hovel, despite being called a 3 star hotel (We were told that it was such a poor area that it was considered a 3 star there.) The people there are very gracious but dirt poor. They evidently don't benefit much from all the tourism. Our package included a stay in the mountain top. The big deal was to see the sun rise. The men sleep in one room and the women in another. We ended up not staying in the mountain top. We decided to do our own thing. We found this guy with a van that ferried us around to lesser known spots most of the day. He charged us 50 RMB. We ended up paying more. He went above the call of duty. The city itself is like most mountain cities, not that big, but it did have several restaurants. Nightlife was non-existent. My fiancee went back a second time with her parents and stuck with the tour guide and really had a great time and saw a lot more things. It's a popular place.

Guangxi province is nice.

Guilin is the big city there in the hilly region, Yangshuo is down river and is much quieter but still has a variety of restaurants an shops, we spent a few days in Yangshuo.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m246/midnitcafe/787px-YangshuoFromTvTower.jpg

Beautiful Yangshuo

Note: Guangxi Province is not to far from Hong Kong, and Guangzhou.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

>>>But none of these places is going to rate as "quiet"...There are afterall 1.3 billion people in China and everybody who can afford it loves to travel... :lol:<<<

Excellent point! I am still amazed when we shop at a mall on a week day afternoon and it is packed like the week before Christmas in the US...so many people.

Hi all,

Thanks

Jeff

My wife and I really enjoyed Guizhou province. It's full of wonderful mountains and waterfalls, and set apart from the hustle bustle of the big cities. You can find several very reasonable tours and groups that travel from city to city, and location to location to take in some of the most majestic sites in C

Thanks, for the welcome and the recommendation. It sounds great, I'll look into it. I'm also on VJ, my wife lives in Hong Kong. Hard to info about immigrating for HK and was referred to this sight from someone on VJ. Glad to be here.

Thanks again.

That will be me! :rolleyes: