New Ambassador to China

I'd like to not let this subject die on such a negative note--- The Ambassador to China should be a fundamentally important subject to the Candle membership.

Illinois Dave---the point I made was that PRC grooms its Ambassador to the US through a lengthy process similar to a US State Department career, while the US still considers it a political appointment. The up side is that apparently, the US now (finally) understands that an Ambassador to China must speak Mandarin, to in some way, be equal to his Chinese counterpart---its the Chinese expectation---that their Ambassador be culturally, and linguistically comfortable with US culture.

And since few (here) would dispute that we are in an ever increasing competition with PRC, why not offer an ABC, or Naturalized Chinese as the American face to China? Seems perfectly reasonable to me, as America the Melting Pot----except that of course, we all know----from our own personal experience that Chinese.....are still excluded, in that they don't have equal rights with other immigrants to come to America.

Exactly!!! Could not have said it better. This and prior comments have nothing to do with politics or trying to slam the current administration.

Based on how the Chinese appoint an ambassor to USA I would think we would be better off with some of the members from here. At least we have some insight to the culture and some love for the country and people (since our spouse is chinese), and some interest in the common issues and problems facing both countries.

That being said I do not think the choice is a bad one. He has the business and political background plus interest in the country and people. I think Mike summed his qualifications up well.

Interesting that every media report also makes lights that there is some political move behind this since he is frontrunner for 2012 GPO president nomination. I hope that is not the case and give the POTUS the benefit of the doubt on this one .... but the media have been making use of this dried dog turd.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jin979

The current US Ambassador to the People's Republic of China, is hardly chopped liver.

Clark Randt Jr. is the US's longest serving Ambassador to PRC, and is also fluent in Mandarin. As a corporate lawyer specializing in Chinese law, he lived 18 year in HK, and on different assignments, several in Beijing as well. He was also the first VP of the American Chamber of Commerce in HK, and has traveled to China for more than 30 years.

Meanwhile, on this side of the Pacific, PRC's Ambassador to the US, Zhou Wenzhong, has, perhaps, an even more impressive resume. As one might expect from the Chinese, their representatives must have not only an interest, but an education in the West. Mr. Zhou is rather old school, receiving an undergraduate degree from Bath University in England, and then on to the London School of Economics for an advanced degree. Apparently, in PRC, the role of Ambassador is a move up through their equivalent of the State Department-----not a political appointment. He has learned the ropes on assignments around the world, including the Consulate in San Francisco.

Fei and I have had correspondence with Ambassador Zhou, related to his visit to Portland, a couple of years ago, where the liberal City Government allowed him and his wife to be publicly embarrassed by Tibetan militant protesters----we apologized, and his response was quite gracious, as one expects from world class Ambassadors.

Previous posts----ShaQuaNew's point about the Chinese Exclusion act seems entirely appropriate to me---Why not a Chinese American? And does everyone here really think the effects of those acts (1880's and 1920's) ---are gone now? isn't that a large part of what the Candle is all about? Does anyone here really doubt that the hoops we jump through are the same as say, Mexican? (ie.: none),

Jin: Westerners stealing babies? I'm not shocked, and have heard that before, but what is your solution? Should all those girl orphans just be left in the orphanage? Shouldn't they have a chance to have a normal childhood and family? ---and Jin---I would ask you: If Chinese believe that Westerners have no right to these girls-----why don't they step up?? Why don't they adopt the daughters of China??

Do you really think----as a matter of national pride---its better to let the girls rot in orphanages so that China doesn't lose face to those in the West who will solve this problem? ....But---having said that, I do know that many more Chinese are stepping up to adopt Chinese orphans, and its a very good trend.

Another question Jin. isn't it also good that this man is teaching his adopted Chinese daughter----Chinese?? Doesn't that give her the ability to continue on as part of the Red Thread of China? ---

i did not say i hold that belief. i just said its there.

i agree a chinese USC would be a good choice to.