Looking for your cultural differences!

My fiancee's big theme is cleanliness, but her idea of it is different from mine. As someone posted earlier, my fiancee doesn't mind letting food set out overnight. That won't work around here. Also, she doesn't mind handling raw pork. In some of the markets, you can sift through the pork you want to buy, along with everyone else. And then there are the glasses. Sometimes, she just rinses them out. They can have so much milk residue on them sometimes you can't see through them. I was a little embarrassed when she gave a guest a glass like that. But, boy, if I touch something I shouldn't after taking a shower, it is back to showers, preceded by a whack to the back of the head. The same with slippers. And then there is the no heat policy in the winter. She says it is bad to go from a warm environment to a cold environment or visa versa. It can be in the 40s in the apartment in the winter. She unplugs the refrigerator in the winter. Might as well.

• 2 weeks later...

About us: She keeps a very clean home,me too.

Slippers are a must, ok,fine

When we are out,she will always wipe off a seat for both of us in a resturant or on the bus because they are dirty. I kind of like this one.

She washes dishes under cold ,running water. No soap. Not ok.

She hand washes most clothes,cold water,even though she has a washer. She only uses it to spin dry. Machine washing is too hard on the clothes. Everything I own goes in the washer.

She will leave food out all night. They must be accustom to the bacteria. I would guess they have not had refrigerators until more recently,but in the winter,those stone countertops are colder than hell.

( does that make sense?)

She always has an umbrella to protect herself (and me) from the sun,even while riding a bicycle. I swear,she looks like a cross between the wicked witch of the west and Mary Poppins when she does this. I honestly laughed out loud when I first saw this.

Oh yes,never laugh out loud.

No PDA (Public Display of Affection) allowed. Eventually,she would let me hold her hand,but if she saw someone she knew,she'd drop my hand like a hot potato. This will change. When we are talking on IM with an open phone line,she can not say"I love you" if her daughter is within ear shot.

She has plenty of money ,but she is very cheap,I mean frugal,unless she is buying shoes or bags,at a discount of course. ok. Frankly,she is very happy to buy me expensive things and insists on it.

She would not want me to buy her flowers. I agree

She will fart and accuse me. ok

When eating fast food,she (we) must hold a sandwich with the wrapper. ok

When out,I must wash my hands before eating. ok,tough to argue with this one.

If you are not in a room,the AC or heat is OFF !!! Ok in her apt. Not ok in my house.

We sold one apt. and kept one. We had it gutted and rebuilt for future use.She took me to the constuction co. office,I think to show them a man was involved so she would not be cheated. Later,she shouted at me saying I brought her much trouble and now they will charge her more for being with a "rich American". I said "but I.... ,but you.... I'm sorry honey". Same crap,different country. They are living in a temporary apt. with no heat,no AC,no hot water,no cable,conrete floors and drafty doors and windows. NEVER one complaint.

We have fought a couple of times and she would get angry and leave the apt. She expected me to go after her and bring her home,which I don't do. She is very puzzled by this. I have since learned a good way to handle this,but I can not say how, here.

She is amazed that I can repair most anything. She would have called the worker.

I will love her forever and I would not trade her for,well,all the tea in China !! Rod

I was very surprised about how @ss-paper is used whilst in the WC.

Not that I've taken a poll, but usually an American will wad it up, wipe a bit, and let it drop into the bowl - getting more if needed.

My chinese acquaitances all seem to wipe once, pull it UP and FOLD IT OVER, wipe again, PULL IT UP AND FOLD IT OVER again, and so on, till either all is clean or more paper is needed.

Now, how to work this into a sentence with structure and meaning? I've no clue - but perhaps given you something to think about.

Warmest Regards...

I am not that familiar with how ANY acquaintance of mine wipes their ass to that level of detail. Must say I'm more comfortable not knowing :cheering:

Not that I've taken a poll, but usually an American will wad it up, wipe a bit, and let it drop into the bowl - getting more if needed.

My chinese acquaitances all seem to wipe once, pull it UP and FOLD IT OVER, wipe again, PULL IT UP AND FOLD IT OVER again, and so on, till either all is clean or more paper is needed.

Now, how to work this into a sentence with structure and meaning? I've no clue - but perhaps given you something to think about.

Warmest Regards...

damn.. this may be my most compelling evidence to date as to why I am not western at heart... or in the southern cleanup :blink:

Ah - you've been trained to fold and re-use. Cool !

sorry... it's natural to do, IMO... wasteful otherwise. that's the 'way' I've always done it. No training needed to be natural. Read something about dao to understand more :P

Warmest Regards...

damn.. this may be my most compelling evidence to date as to why I am not western at heart... or in the southern cleanup :P

sorry... it's natural to do, IMO... wasteful otherwise. that's the 'way' I've always done it. No training needed to be natural. Read something about dao to understand more :P

dao dao wrote about do do? :blink:

Warmest Regards...

damn.. this may be my most compelling evidence to date as to why I am not western at heart... or in the southern cleanup :P

dao dao wrote about do do? :lol:

do do is as natural as it gets... no dao about it B)

but seems some are caught up in observing how others handle their do do... I'm a little more intrigued by sociological do do ideas like, chinese who do not use diapers... and the natural training that this results in... but, this is a thread about how you and I wipe; men watch men.. isn't that a lovely thought...

When we are out,she will always wipe off a seat for both of us in a resturant or on the bus because they are dirty. I kind of like this one.

She . . . . . . . . ............. . . . . . of times and she would get angry and leave the apt. She expected me to go after her and bring her home,which I don't do. She is very puzzled by this. I have since learned a good way to handle this,but I can not say how, here.

She is amazed that I can repair most anything. She would have called the worker.

I will love her forever and I would not trade her for,well,all the tea in China !! Rod

thanks for the cliff hanger!!!!

give it up - you know you want to!!!!!!

or at least PM me

PUUULEASE

:(

She . . . . . . . . ............. . . . . . of times and she would get angry and leave the apt. She expected me to go after her and bring her home,which I don't do. She is very puzzled by this. I have since learned a good way to handle this,but I can not say how, here.

thanks for the cliff hanger!!!!

give it up - you know you want to!!!!!!

or at least PM me

PUUULEASE

:P

I agree, we want to hear the whole story, pleez! :crazy:

Guest jin979

She washes dishes under cold ,running water. No soap. Not ok.

She hand washes most clothes,cold water,even though she has a washer. She only uses it to spin dry. Machine washing is too hard on the clothes. Everything I own goes in the washer.

She will leave food out all night. They must be accustom to the bacteria. I would guess they have not had refrigerators until more recently,but in the winter,those stone countertops are colder than hell.

( does that make sense?)

She always has an umbrella to protect herself (and me) from the sun,even while riding a bicycle. I swear,she looks like a cross between the wicked witch of the west and Mary Poppins when she does this. I honestly laughed out loud when I first saw this.

Oh yes,never laugh out loud.

No PDA (Public Display of Affection) allowed. Eventually,she would let me hold her hand,but if she saw someone she knew,she'd drop my hand like a hot potato. This will change. When we are talking on IM with an open phone line,she can not say"I love you" if her daughter is within ear shot.

She has plenty of money ,but she is very cheap,I mean frugal,unless she is buying shoes or bags,at a discount of course. ok. Frankly,she is very happy to buy me expensive things and insists on it.

She would not want me to buy her flowers. I agree

She will fart and accuse me. ok

When eating fast food,she (we) must hold a sandwich with the wrapper. ok

When out,I must wash my hands before eating. ok,tough to argue with this one.

If you are not in a room,the AC or heat is OFF !!! Ok in her apt. Not ok in my house.

We sold one apt. and kept one. We had it gutted and rebuilt for future use.She took me to the constuction co. office,I think to show them a man was involved so she would not be cheated. Later,she shouted at me saying I brought her much trouble and now they will charge her more for being with a "rich American". I said "but I.... ,but you.... I'm sorry honey". Same crap,different country. They are living in a temporary apt. with no heat,no AC,no hot water,no cable,conrete floors and drafty doors and windows. NEVER one complaint.

We have fought a couple of times and she would get angry and leave the apt. She expected me to go after her and bring her home,which I don't do. She is very puzzled by this. I have since learned a good way to handle this,but I can not say how, here.

you have a good wife :)

• 2 weeks later...

Flowers may not be well received - depends on the person. My tai tai sees them as a gross waste of money and has order me to never buy flowers ever again. Besides, they die.

Being separated is difficult. When we were on different sides of the planet, we both made damn sure we were online at the prescribed time. "It's important to me to spend time with you".

My Yan as even refused them once. I think the main reason is that the person had to take the bus all the way on the other side of town. I still don't know why the webpage I used needs to pick a flower shop on the wrong part of the city. She said next time I want to send flowers I can send her money. Not the same meaning here, but guess it's a cultural thing again.