Chinese birth certificate frustrations

I'm here in China with my lao po, and we're gathering all our documents for package 3. We just got our (expensive) official translations back today, and I was checking everything over, and found her "birth certificate" was lacking quite a bit of information. It's basically just a sheet of paper that says "[Mother's name] was in [name of hospital] on [range of dates] and gave birth to a live female baby on [her birthdate]." So now we have to go back to the hospital and try to get another one with all the information required (names, birthdates, and places of birth of BOTH her parents), and then have it translated again. Ugh. Something to watch out for, for those of you who haven't reached this point yet.

I'm here in China with my lao po, and we're gathering all our documents for package 3. We just got our (expensive) official translations back today, and I was checking everything over, and found her "birth certificate" was lacking quite a bit of information. It's basically just a sheet of paper that says "[Mother's name] was in [name of hospital] on [range of dates] and gave birth to a live female baby on [her birthdate]." So now we have to go back to the hospital and try to get another one with all the information required (names, birthdates, and places of birth of BOTH her parents), and then have it translated again. Ugh. Something to watch out for, for those of you who haven't reached this point yet.

packet 3 only requires 2 papers, OF-169 and DS230 part 1, there is this notary called Gong Zheng Chu, you can bring her family book there, police cert, and single cert, and they can help her generate a birth certificate and help you translate everything and put it in a whitebook for you.

Guest shutterbug

That is not the right one. It needs to be issued by a Gong Zheng Chu - unlike notary publics in the US these are government run agencies - it needs to be done in the city where her Hukou registration is. Generally the following two items are required: 1) her Hukou registration book; 2) a letter from the Dan Wei where she works, OR a letter from Jie Dao (or Pai Chu Suo) if she is unemployed. Confirm with the Gong Zheng Chu she will use though, some Gong Zheng Chu provide sample letters for applicants on their websites. Here is an example.

http://www.bnpo.gov.cn/upload/file/200872115331419.doc

http://www.bnpo.gov.cn/guide/detail1.asp

The date of birth as well as her parents' identities are extracted from these records.

Edited by shutterbug (see edit history)

Ok, You guys have me worried now... My Fiancee's and her Son's Birth Certificates do not have the city of Birth of the Mom's and Fathers of Said Child just there Names ..

It Says this exactly..

This is to certify that Wu Wei, female, was born on September 25,1965, at Huize City, Yunnan Province. Her father is Wu Wueqin and her mother is Ye Ping who was deceased.

Is all this is needed ????? OK ????

Thanks, Mark

Ok, You guys have me worried now... My Fiancee's and her Son's Birth Certificates do not have the city of Birth of the Mom's and Fathers of Said Child just there Names ..

It Says this exactly..

This is to certify that Wu Wei, female, was born on September 25,1965, at Huize City, Yunnan Province. Her father is Wu Wueqin and her mother is Ye Ping who was deceased.

Thanks, Mark

I'd like to know too, because the second birth certificate we just got back is in the same format. We showed them the instructions from Guangzhou, but that is what they gave us. No information about her parents' birthdates or places of birth.

Guest shutterbug

It Says this exactly..

Thanks, Mark

I'd like to know too, because the second birth certificate we just got back is in the same format. We showed them the instructions from Guangzhou, but that is what they gave us. No information about her parents' birthdates or places of birth.

Relax, guys :) You are in good shape. This is the standard format, the only variation I have seen among those issued in different cities at different times, is that some say "father's name is ***"/"mother's name is ***" rather than "father is ***"/"mother is ***". Both are perfectly fine.

Relax, guys :) You are in good shape. This is the standard format, the only variation I have seen among those issued in different cities at different times, is that some say "father's name is ***"/"mother's name is ***" rather than "father is ***"/"mother is ***". Both are perfectly fine.

Hello,

shutterbug is right ...Just looked at Ling and the boys birth certificates and they are as shutterbug says............ :D

They are written as""father's name is ***"/"mother's name is ***" ..

Tom and Ling