China orders officials to smoke

Guest Tony n Terrific

Well, if they had 630 officials smoking a pack a day they could do it. That would be a lot of officials for one county. Bob Dylan used to smoke 4 packs a day but that is the most I ever hear of anybody smoking. I hope they have got more than 157.5 officials.

Bob Seger used to smoke 5. ;)

holy crap. If you chain smoked for 16 hours straight, you would have to smoke more than 6 cigarettes per hour to get that. I mean, I'm sure he didn't always get 8 hours of shut-eye, but he pretty much had to be drawing in smoke for every waking breath. His lungs must have looked like dried up rat turds.

Not sure he meant it literally: :unsure:

http://www.metrolyrics.com/trying-to-live-...-bob-seger.html

James Brown in his autobiography said that he was told by the stagehands that Mick Jagger smoked an entire pack of cigarettes in one hour while standing on the stage in the wings watching him perform the first time Mick ever saw James' show.

Guest Tony n Terrific

IN 1946, THE RJ REYNOLDS Tobacco Company initiated a major new advertising campaign for Camels, one of the most popular brands in the United States. Working to establish dominance in a highly competitive market, Reynolds centered their new campaign on the memorable slogan, "More doctors smoke Camels than any other cigarette." This phrase would be the mainstay of their advertising for the next 6 years. Touting surveys conducted by "three leading independent research organizations," one typical advertisement proclaimed that according to "nationwide" surveys of 113597 doctors "from every branch of medicine," Camel was the brand smoked by most respondents. It also asserted that this statistic was an "actual fact," not a "casual claim."

IN 1946, THE RJ REYNOLDS Tobacco Company initiated a major new advertising campaign for Camels, one of the most popular brands in the United States. Working to establish dominance in a highly competitive market, Reynolds centered their new campaign on the memorable slogan, "More doctors smoke Camels than any other cigarette." This phrase would be the mainstay of their advertising for the next 6 years. Touting surveys conducted by "three leading independent research organizations," one typical advertisement proclaimed that according to "nationwide" surveys of 113597 doctors "from every branch of medicine," Camel was the brand smoked by most respondents. It also asserted that this statistic was an "actual fact," not a "casual claim."

Great stuff ..... :rolleyes:

I typed a report today on a 74 year old woman from South Carolina who had smoked 4 packs a day for 40 years, giving her a 160 pack-year smoking history - the most I have ever heard a doctor report about somebody.

She only had 40 days in year????

Tobacco is good for bee stings ... make it a little moist and place directly on the bee sting ...

I typed a report today on a 74 year old woman from South Carolina who had smoked 4 packs a day for 40 years, giving her a 160 pack-year smoking history - the most I have ever heard a doctor report about somebody.

Tobacco is good for bee stings ... make it a little moist and place directly on the bee sting ...

One pack a day for a year equals 1 pack-year.

Bee stings are not anything to me - I kinda like a sting from a honeybee, yes it hurts but it is good for you too.

I was so proud of my little boy when he got bitten by ants and I made a poultice out of tobacco and put on the places and told him to be still and let the "medicine" work. He was just a little 2 year old and he listened to me and waited and in a little while I asked him if he was better and he was. Then I took him outside and taught him about ant beds and not to go near them and I said "ants" and he said "ant-ze!"

One pack a day for a year equals 1 pack-year.

Bee stings are not anything to me - I kinda like a sting from a honeybee, yes it hurts but it is good for you too.

I was so proud of my little boy when he got bitten by ants and I made a poultice out of tobacco and put on the places and told him to be still and let the "medicine" work. He was just a little 2 year old and he listened to me and waited and in a little while I asked him if he was better and he was. Then I took him outside and taught him about ant beds and not to go near them and I said "ants" and he said "ant-ze!"

Ah a pack-yr ... I guess you need to be a smoker to know that .. I was thinking pack/yr

Yes .. ants can be mean ... interesting I rarely ever see ants, roaches, or waterbugs inside my apartment or hotels in China ... always have ants in my house in USA .. why is that?

In my opinion, this demand by the government was very reasonable. Chinese government officials almost all smoke cigarettes. When a government official smokes one cigarette, he gives one to each person his is talking to. Even those who don't smoke give out cigarettes.

So, the government wasn't demanding that anyone smoke cigarettes, they were just saying that their employees should support the local economy by using local cigarettes instead of the popular cigarettes from Hebei.

As smoking is a part of a government official's job, even if he does not smoke himself, in many ways this is just like telling office workers that they should all use standard size paper.

Guest ShaQuaNew

In my opinion, this demand by the government was very reasonable. Chinese government officials almost all smoke cigarettes. When a government official smokes one cigarette, he gives one to each person his is talking to. Even those who don't smoke give out cigarettes.

So, the government wasn't demanding that anyone smoke cigarettes, they were just saying that their employees should support the local economy by using local cigarettes instead of the popular cigarettes from Hebei.

As smoking is a part of a government official's job, even if he does not smoke himself, in many ways this is just like telling office workers that they should all use standard size paper.

Interesting Will. Welcome to Candle. I hope you continue to post.

:)