What's first??

Once Ling is here and we are married what is the first thing we should do. Is there a educational site where I can learn the next set of procedures to make everything legal? This is never ending,huh?? One door closes as another opens.. That's life, right.. I never realized immigration was such a ride.. Would appreciate a push in the right direction. Thank you, Jim

Once Ling is here and we are married what is the first thing we should do. Is there a educational site where I can learn the next set of procedures to make everything legal? This is never ending,huh?? One door closes as another opens.. That's life, right.. I never realized immigration was such a ride.. Would appreciate a push in the right direction. Thank you, Jim

Well, this is what we did Jim.

Three weeks after her arrival, we went to apply for her Social Security number. We were married shortly afterword. Add her to your bank account or open a joint one then.

After we married we began the AOS process. This is where I started Jim

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27124

I followed it exactly and we just finished this step without a hitch.

After some notices and an appointment to get fingerprinted (biometrics) the EAD card comes in the mail first. This is her work authorization. It's enough identification with the Social Security number to apply for a driver's licence. If she's so inclined it's a good distraction learning while she's waiting. Look into the local community college and library for free English classes as well.

The whole process is a bear, but well worth the effort.

Good luck. You'll get loads of help here.

Edited by Jay & Ping (see edit history)

If your sweet heart is going to take your family name then I would suggest the first thing you do is get married. Next go to the SSA and get her a social security card in her married name. Next to the DMV (if your state allows) and get her a state ID card. Next stop is the bank where you can put her on your bank accounts. Last file the I-485, I-765, G-325 A and I-864.

Guest Pommey

buy red sheets.

the rest is all in the FAQS section

good luck. :blink: