a cultural thing or just rudeness?

Very interesting thread. A lot of good sugestions here. But you will have to be the one to deal with it. This situation could happen to anyone, although not as pronounced maybe as your situation.

A person growing up in a small town and moving to the city and becoming successful might be rejected if they had to return to state one example.

Hang in there, I think it is great that you wanted to go back to see you culture and learn where you came from. China is the oldest cicilization on the planet, don't let someone with an attitude deter you from your goal. Maybe one day you can "bring her around", if not, oh well.

I wish you the best. I hope it is getting a little better for you.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are nervous though, because he is still part of the CCP.

Was or is? Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't he need to resign from the party and provide the resignation letter showing he did before the inteview?

Not neccesarily, Mama Bear didn't resign. She explained that if she were to resign she would lose her job. She couldn't afford to lose her job in case she didn't get a visa.

Was or is? Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't he need to resign from the party and provide the resignation letter showing he did before the inteview?

Not neccesarily, Mama Bear didn't resign. She explained that if she were to resign she would lose her job. She couldn't afford to lose her job in case she didn't get a visa.

for that matter, some don't resign.. they may not tell they are in the party, but they don't resign.

Your right Carl. I'd forgotten about Mama Bear. But you should definately supply a letter if you do resign.

for that matter, some don't resign.. they may not tell they are in the party, but they don't resign.

Which is a very risky thing to do and not recommended as you'll at least be asked on one form or another before you may or may not be asked at the interview.

oh, i meant he still is so he will provide a letter stating why he joined - for higher pay at his job. Originally, he thought he was out of the CCP cause he hadn't paid his dues in half a year , but his university told him they'd pay for it and he couldn't figure out a way to tell them not to because it would have made his job more difficult, and gossip runs rampant.

Guest shutterbug

Back to the original thread, I am sorry to read about your encounter. I think you have received some excellent feedback, but would like to add some of my observations.

There was a time when just about every Chinese had the unrealistic expectation that an ethnic Chinese must always remain Chinese, by being fluent in Chinese and retaining his/her allegance to China (whichever government may be in charge). If you ask me twenty years ago, I would have told you that was an absolutely reasonable expectation; I have a more nuanced view of things now - having lived away for over a decade changed a lot of my views - and I don't think I am the only one that has turned around. By the way, this reminds me of my visit to the Chinatown in San Francisco a few years ago. I was both amused and saddened by the sea of flags on rooftops: if you find a flag declaring allegance to the People's Republic of China, you will always find a flag declaring allegance to the old Republic of China on the opposite side of the street. Well, it's nice and easy to wave the flag when one lives thousands of miles away from the potential conflict and doesn't have to sacrifice a brother or a son for it. For the record, I haven't seen this in Chinatowns elsewhere.

When I lived in Guanghzou twenty years ago, I spoke Mandarin with my friends in school but often spoke Cantonese when I was out on the street - when buying something it always made the negotiation quicker if I showed I could speak the local dialect. There are narrow-minded people everywhere though, not just in China.

Some mentioned that pay grade could be the real reason behind the feeling of resentment. If there had been a substantial difference in pay for seemingly similar work, just shrug it off, after all you are getting a better deal; if it was all just perception, you should care even less about what this person thinks.

thx for ur advice. it's getting easier to shrug things like this off,

Back to the original thread, I am sorry to read about your encounter. I think you have received some excellent feedback, but would like to add some of my observations.

There was a time when just about every Chinese had the unrealistic expectation that an ethnic Chinese must always remain Chinese, by being fluent in Chinese and retaining his/her allegance to China (whichever government may be in charge). If you ask me twenty years ago, I would have told you that was an absolutely reasonable expectation; I have a more nuanced view of things now - having lived away for over a decade changed a lot of my views - and I don't think I am the only one that has turned around. By the way, this reminds me of my visit to the Chinatown in San Francisco a few years ago. I was both amused and saddened by the sea of flags on rooftops: if you find a flag declaring allegance to the People's Republic of China, you will always find a flag declaring allegance to the old Republic of China on the opposite side of the street. Well, it's nice and easy to wave the flag when one lives thousands of miles away from the potential conflict and doesn't have to sacrifice a brother or a son for it. For the record, I haven't seen this in Chinatowns elsewhere.

When I lived in Guanghzou twenty years ago, I spoke Mandarin with my friends in school but often spoke Cantonese when I was out on the street - when buying something it always made the negotiation quicker if I showed I could speak the local dialect. There are narrow-minded people everywhere though, not just in China.

Some mentioned that pay grade could be the real reason behind the feeling of resentment. If there had been a substantial difference in pay for seemingly similar work, just shrug it off, after all you are getting a better deal; if it was all just perception, you should care even less about what this person thinks.

Guest jin979

oh, i meant he still is so he will provide a letter stating why he joined - for higher pay at his job. Originally, he thought he was out of the CCP cause he hadn't paid his dues in half a year , but his university told him they'd pay for it and he couldn't figure out a way to tell them not to because it would have made his job more difficult, and gossip runs rampant.

be careful i was asked about CCP membership at AOS interview.lying could cause big problems

no worries there, we're going to check the yes box on the DS 230 part II and if he is asked, he has a letter prepared stating why he joined.

be careful i was asked about CCP membership at AOS interview.lying could cause big problems