Request for More Info

Hi Guys,

I have good and bad news. My wife got her 2 year green card today, no interview, but her son got a request for more information.

Before they left China, both of them had their medical exams, but they did not get their vaccinations. I took them to a Civil Surgeon here and got their vaccinations done. The Civil Surgeon filled out all the necessary sections of the I-693, sealed them, and then I sent in all their forms in three books each, AOS, EAD, and AP. All of my wife's stuff went through with no problem, but her son's did not. They are saying we did not complete all of the sections of I-693 properly, and not all of the necessary screenings were done. Not true, they had all except the immunizations done in China, and I have a little red book for each of them that had all the exam results in them. I am thinking they either lost his medical stuff from Guangzhou, or they did not realize it was there, since they saw an incomplete I-693.

So, now, what is the best way to overcome this? Do we go to a Civil Surgeon and have him do everything all over again? Do we go to the Civil Surgeon and see if he can transfer all the information from the little red book to the I-693 form?

I don't think I want to argue with USCIS about it. I just want to do what I must to quickly take care of the problem.

What do you think? :unsure: :ph34r: :blink:

is possible his records are crossed up somewhere. I would start with a coupla phone calls - then if you are unable to help them 'see' that the file is on someone's elses desk, then set up an info pass appointment to ask 'the man' to find the files.

Worst Case Scenario - when all fails, you'll have to redo his shots and civil surgeon records.. But I'm betting a coupla phone calls is gonna alleviate the 'lost ' condition.

Hi Guys,

I have good and bad news. My wife got her 2 year green card today, no interview, but her son got a request for more information.

Before they left China, both of them had their medical exams, but they did not get their vaccinations. I took them to a Civil Surgeon here and got their vaccinations done. The Civil Surgeon filled out all the necessary sections of the I-693, sealed them, and then I sent in all their forms in three books each, AOS, EAD, and AP. All of my wife's stuff went through with no problem, but her son's did not. They are saying we did not complete all of the sections of I-693 properly, and not all of the necessary screenings were done. Not true, they had all except the immunizations done in China, and I have a little red book for each of them that had all the exam results in them. I am thinking they either lost his medical stuff from Guangzhou, or they did not realize it was there, since they saw an incomplete I-693.

So, now, what is the best way to overcome this? Do we go to a Civil Surgeon and have him do everything all over again? Do we go to the Civil Surgeon and see if he can transfer all the information from the little red book to the I-693 form?

I don't think I want to argue with USCIS about it. I just want to do what I must to quickly take care of the problem.

The I-693 you sent in WAS incomplete, since it only had the vaccination section filled out. Yes, that's usually the way it's done. BUT, like you point out, "they lost his medical stuff from Guangzhou"

They screw up, you pay. That's usually the way it's done. You did nothing wrong.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Hi Guys,

You're story is identical to what happened to us for my wife and daughter's green cards. It was a huge hassle to get it corrected also. I ended up sending a letter that was titled: "MOTION TO REOPEN WITHOUT FEE." In the letter I explained that my wife and daughter were K1 and K2, respectively. I further explained that K1 and K2 always complete the medical exam before being granted a visa and leaving China. Two weeks later, my daughter received her green card.

Hi Guys,

What do you think? :angry: :Dah: ;)

The I-693 you sent in WAS incomplete, since it only had the vaccination section filled out. Yes, that's usually the way it's done. BUT, like you point out, "they lost his medical stuff from Guangzhou"

They screw up, you pay. That's usually the way it's done. You did nothing wrong.

randy is correct, as the same thing happened to us. after several phone calls and faxes to uscis, i discovered that the medical exam and i-129f were lost. so we had to redo the medical. grrrrr!

Guest ShaQuaNew

Hi Guys,

What do you think? :angry: :Dah: ;)

randy is correct, as the same thing happened to us. after several phone calls and faxes to uscis, i discovered that the medical exam and i-129f were lost. so we had to redo the medical. grrrrr!

Be careful with this. I doubt whether the medical was lost. As I mentioned, this is precisely what happened to us when we filed AOS. This is likely the same thing, which is a clerical error. Nothing is lost, it's just that the person viewing the documentation failed to notice that they were viewing K2 documentation. The K2 medical information is kept with the K1 paperwork, and somehow got separated. Calling on the telephone really won't do much for you. You'll only get frustrated, and be told things that are not true.

The fact is, a K2 CANNOT ENTER THE US UNLESS THEY COMPLETE THEIR MEDICAL. Don't forget that. What that is, is your ace in the hole. We even went so far as to schedule and info pass appointment, and got even more frustrated. Eventually, my daughter received a denial notice, and direction to leave the US within 30-days. I talked with several attorneys, before finding one with a simple suggestion.

They directed me to write a letter, to both the Ombudsman, which didn't help much, and also send a letter to a couple other addresses. I will have to dig, but I believe one of them was the same office as the RFE. Again, within two weeks after sending the letter, my daughter received her green card. No more medical. Further, I indicated in rather strong wording in the letter, that if they did in fact lose the medical folder, that I expected them to pay for a new medical examination, as the medical paperwork remained in their chain of custody.

I'm hearing something else from the OP, so need clarification.

They are saying we did not complete all of the sections of I-693 properly, and not all of the necessary screenings were done. Not true, they had all except the immunizations done in China, and I have a little red book for each of them that had all the exam results in them.

You cannot turn in the little red book; the I-693 has to reflect any immunizations in that book;

If the CS did not reflect in the I-693 the immunizations, bring the book to the CS and fill out more completely...

If I've misread/misunderstood, ignore all this.

"So, now, what is the best way to overcome this?" Give them what they ask for.

We had a similar problem. We only did the vaccinations. Had to do the medical examination and vaccinations again. We went back and it cost us $65 for the medical and they did not charge to fill out the vacinnations part.

They are saying we did not complete all of the sections of I-693 properly, and not all of the necessary screenings were done. Not true, they had all except the immunizations done in China, and I have a little red book for each of them that had all the exam results in them.

You cannot turn in the little red book; the I-693 has to reflect any immunizations in that book;

If the CS did not reflect in the I-693 the immunizations, bring the book to the CS and fill out more completely...

I was not considering turning in the little red book, but the book is proof that the exams and screenings were done in September 2008 in Guangzhou just before their interview. The information was in their file on the I-693 or they would not have been issued K1/K2 visas. I did the immunizations correctly here in America and had the Civil Surgeon fill out the I-693 properly, and sent the sealed information in with my paperwork to USCIS. So, now I am thinking I will try copying the red book, have it notarized and send it in along with all the information I have shared with you here and see if that will be enough to straighten this out. I am hoping they will find the documents in his or her files. If not, I guess we can redo the exams, but it really sucks because it is obvious that everything was done correctly the first time.

Guest ShaQuaNew

I was not considering turning in the little red book, but the book is proof that the exams and screenings were done in September 2008 in Guangzhou just before their interview. The information was in their file on the I-693 or they would not have been issued K1/K2 visas. I did the immunizations correctly here in America and had the Civil Surgeon fill out the I-693 properly, and sent the sealed information in with my paperwork to USCIS. So, now I am thinking I will try copying the red book, have it notarized and send it in along with all the information I have shared with you here and see if that will be enough to straighten this out. I am hoping they will find the documents in his or her files. If not, I guess we can redo the exams, but it really sucks because it is obvious that everything was done correctly the first time.

Try scheduling an info pass appointment first. At least see what they say there before you go to too much trouble...

Jesse here fought the battle and won.

Be careful with this. I doubt whether the medical was lost. As I mentioned, this is precisely what happened to us when we filed AOS. This is likely the same thing, which is a clerical error. Nothing is lost, it's just that the person viewing the documentation failed to notice that they were viewing K2 documentation. The K2 medical information is kept with the K1 paperwork, and somehow got separated. Calling on the telephone really won't do much for you. You'll only get frustrated, and be told things that are not true.

The fact is, a K2 CANNOT ENTER THE US UNLESS THEY COMPLETE THEIR MEDICAL. Don't forget that. What that is, is your ace in the hole. We even went so far as to schedule and info pass appointment, and got even more frustrated. Eventually, my daughter received a denial notice, and direction to leave the US within 30-days. I talked with several attorneys, before finding one with a simple suggestion.

They directed me to write a letter, to both the Ombudsman, which didn't help much, and also send a letter to a couple other addresses. I will have to dig, but I believe one of them was the same office as the RFE. Again, within two weeks after sending the letter, my daughter received her green card. No more medical. Further, I indicated in rather strong wording in the letter, that if they did in fact lose the medical folder, that I expected them to pay for a new medical examination, as the medical paperwork remained in their chain of custody.

It's your choice whether to follow his lead, or to turn in a new I-693. It seems like just proving it WAS done isn't enough, unless you get someone to TELL them it's enough.

Or you can hope the missing forms will show up - but I believe that for now, they want a complete I-693.

• 2 months later...

Jesse here fought the battle and won.

It's your choice whether to follow his lead, or to turn in a new I-693. It seems like just proving it WAS done isn't enough, unless you get someone to TELL them it's enough.

Or you can hope the missing forms will show up - but I believe that for now, they want a complete I-693.

Well, I did what I said I would do. I wrote a letter explaining everything and I copied and notarized the red examination/immunization book, and sent it to them. It took a while, but yesterday we got his 2 year green card. I don't know if they found the original lost documents or not, but it really doesn't matter.

Anyway, this approach worked for us.

Well, I did what I said I would do. I wrote a letter explaining everything and I copied and notarized the red examination/immunization book, and sent it to them. It took a while, but yesterday we got his 2 year green card. I don't know if they found the original lost documents or not, but it really doesn't matter.

Anyway, this approach worked for us.

Congrats! Good to hear!

ShaQuaNew had a good point, "Chain of Custody" is a serious term, accusing them of breaking the Chain of Custody and loosing something carries legal ramifications as in lawsuit. And suing them to pay for a new medical if they Broke the Chain of Custody is not an unreasonable request, because it was USCIS or DOS fault if they lost something that they had custody of, NOT the applicant's problem.