Chinese people need to be controlled

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. Crossing the border from Macau to the Mainland back in December I noticed he was in a "public service" video playing while waiting in line. He portrayed a Chinese customs agent busting a nervous American and either a Brit or Australian for buying fake watches, sunglasses and movies. :(

Sounds like prejudice (Jackie) against mainlanders.

In the context of the rest of the article, it doesn't seem that way. In fact, the title isn't necessarily a fair representation of the article itself.

In many ways, it sounds to me like Jackie was simply towing the line. Speaking to a Chinese audience, he basically said that he thinks the mainland way is better, not Taiwan or Hong Kong - giving the people what they wanted to hear, to an extent.

On the other hand, he DID have the guts to speak up about the quality of Chinese goods, even given the possibility that it might rub some people the wrong way.

Edited by jsa23 (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

He is just playing with the mainlanders. Saying good things in China will help his career there.

I really don't think he's being that shallow. He rarely speaks out about issues like this, and being a Chinese man, in his mid-fifties, likely holds the more conservative values of that generation. He's traveled enough to see just what too much freedom can cause for a nation.

Maybe he should buy some USA peanut butter to go with the Chinese TV... :rolleyes:

I really do not understand his comments, assuming they are not taken way out of context by the writer.

HK and Taiwan are chaotic? Maybe it is chaotic in HK because people were used to voting for their leaders and now they can't. Of course change like this causes some problems but all in all I would never think of HK (nor would my wife, her friends, family) as chaotic.

Taiwan...maybe but again only from the political standpoint. In regardless to everyday life and business I do not think this is true.

As someone working in Chinese manufacturing I really hate to hear all the slams to chinese quality. Their quality is almost as good as rest and still coming up fast. Of course some take shortcuts but so does people/business all over the world. The western press just loves to find stories and discuss them

I dont see them doing as a big a story on the PB as they did on the lead toys from China. In my mind this deal with the PB contamination is a big story .... how could this happen in the most developed and richest nation in the world?

This is one time we could take an example from the cruel chinese government .. execute a few PB executives and see if this happens again.

whome? - for the longest of time, items produced for export to USA had higher quality control than items built for the local china market.

This has been changing, slowly at first, and in the last 18 months has had a big turn-around.

Jackie Chan's comments are drawing criticism from Taiwan and Hong Kong lawmakers.

He's insulted the Chinese people. Chinese people aren't pets," Hong Kong pro-democracy legislator Leung Kwok-hung told The Associated Press. "Chinese society needs a democratic system to protect human rights and rule of law."

Another lawmaker, Albert Ho, called the comments "racist," adding: "People around the world are running their own countries. Why can't Chinese do the same?"

In the context of the rest of the article, it doesn't seem that way. In fact, the title isn't necessarily a fair representation of the article itself.

In many ways, it sounds to me like Jackie was simply towing the line. Speaking to a Chinese audience, he basically said that he thinks the mainland way is better, not Taiwan or Hong Kong - giving the people what they wanted to hear, to an extent.

On the other hand, he DID have the guts to speak up about the quality of Chinese goods, even given the possibility that it might rub some people the wrong way.

I essentially agree... but he had the guts to say something historically and philosophically profound.

We've gotten to a point in history where you cannot say anything without some group taking some offense... instead of seeing if there is something to learn from the comment.

Guest ShaQuaNew

I essentially agree... but he had the guts to say something historically and philosophically profound.

We've gotten to a point in history where you cannot say anything without some group taking some offense... instead of seeing if there is something to learn from the comment.

Jackie Chan is well-respected amongst the Chinese people. He's one that was actually born and raised in the East, and then grew to be a world traveler. During his travels, he's been fortunate enough to live and experience the differences between one culture and another. In my view, the US would do a lot better for itself by bringing back the controls exercised in schools and homes before 1960. Back in the days when a teacher could discipline a student for misbehaving and failing to do their assigned work.

Which do you agree to ... that the chinese people need to be controlled, that the quality of chinese goods is poor or that he was towing the line?

I really do not see anything of historic or philosophic nature inthe comments.

I am now sitting at home waiting for my chinese tv to explode wishing I had brought a japanese one :roller: