Question on EAD

Guest Dylan W

Guest Dylan W

How exactly does it work? Wendy is getting bored to tears here at home, on her extended vacation. We plan to mail off the AOS packet later this coming week. How long must we wait before Wendy can work? We have her SSN card and stuff, just wondering what others have experienced and what we might look to expect. Thanks! :lol:

How exactly does it work? Wendy is getting bored to tears here at home, on her extended vacation. We plan to mail off the AOS packet later this coming week. How long must we wait before Wendy can work? We have her SSN card and stuff, just wondering what others have experienced and what we might look to expect. Thanks! :lol:

Usually around 60, maybe 90 days for the card to come.

Some have found employers willing to accept the NOA1 as proof of eligibility, or even the K-1 visa itself

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
Guest Dylan W

Some have found employers willing to accept the NOA1 as proof of eligibility, or even the K-1 visa itself

How likely do you think someone would use her K-1 and her social security card to start employment?

How likely do you think someone would use her K-1 and her social security card to start employment?

It has happened - you might want to wait, at least for the NOA1.

Does she drive?

Does she drive?

Not legally. :)

I know you're probably kidding but be very careful about this sort of stuff. Any marks against her regarding the law, even traffic tickets, will not be looked upon favorably come time for AOS. You don't want to take any chances.

This is good advice Dave. Not only that, if she were in an accident, the insurance company would not have to cover her, as an 'unlicensed' driver. Therein is a tremendous liability factor.

In CA, an unlicensed driver cite is a mandatory appearance before a magistrate, in most jurisdictions, coupled with a stiff fine.

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)

How exactly does it work? Wendy is getting bored to tears here at home, on her extended vacation. We plan to mail off the AOS packet later this coming week. How long must we wait before Wendy can work? We have her SSN card and stuff, just wondering what others have experienced and what we might look to expect. Thanks! :D

Hi Dylan,

I don't know how you got Wendy's SS card before EAD.

In North Carolina they told Ling she would have to get EAD before

issuing the SS number, so I went a head and filed for EAD,,so that

Ling could get her SS number.

Other states seem to do it differently..... :ph34r:

I take it that an alien wife can not work with out both an EAD and a SS number??........ :ph34r:

Our Time line is as follows:

Dec 15 filed I-765 "Employment Authorization" Vermont Service Center

I-797C..For I-765 Rec. December 23, 2008

I-765 approved on Jan. 13, 2009

SS# applied for and received Jan.30...North Carolina SS deparment

So as you can see,,it only took 1 and a half months.

But I guess if you are going to get EAD through AOS than it will probably take longer.

I will be filing AOS for Ling and the boys during last part of April and all of May. I wanted to wait until my 2008 taxes were filed before I file for AOS. And I don't like to give Uncle Sam his money until the last possible moment.............. :P :P

Tom and Ling

How exactly does it work? Wendy is getting bored to tears here at home, on her extended vacation. We plan to mail off the AOS packet later this coming week. How long must we wait before Wendy can work? We have her SSN card and stuff, just wondering what others have experienced and what we might look to expect. Thanks! :D

Hi Dylan,

Other states seem to do it differently..... :ph34r:

I take it that an alien wife can not work with out both an EAD and a SS number??........ :ph34r:

But I guess if you are going to get EAD through AOS than it will probably take longer.

I will be filing AOS for Ling and the boys during last part of April and all of May. I wanted to wait until my 2008 taxes were filed before I file for AOS. And I don't like to give Uncle Sam his money until the last possible moment.............. :P :P

Tom and Ling

EAD and SS are Federal - governed by the same laws everywhere. K-1's are "work authorized" for the duration of their visa - long enough (90 days) to allow them to get an SSN and get married.

Guest Dylan W

Does she drive?

Not legally. :ph34r:

I know you're probably kidding but be very careful about this sort of stuff. Any marks against her regarding the law, even traffic tickets, will not be looked upon favorably come time for AOS. You don't want to take any chances.

I understand that. I was kidding.

Guest Dylan W

Does she drive?

Not legally. :ph34r:

This is good advice Dave. Not only that, if she were in an accident, the insurance company would not have to cover her, as an 'unlicensed' driver. Therein is a tremendous liability factor.

In CA, an unlicensed driver cite is a mandatory appearance before a magistrate, in most jurisdictions, coupled with a stiff fine.

We live in the countryside. Wendy is practicing driving in fields. Not the streets. One of the benefits of not being city folk. :ph34r:

She has an SSN? Can't work the same day?

Don't understand other answers. Got a SSN

gives you the right to work don't it? Please

correct me if wrong. We live in NC also.

Once deneid(spelled wrong) due to no approved

I-130 for K3, that was the only reason. If she has

a ssn go for it. She is legal to work .

We have been through heck and back over

this subject. Your state may not be Fed.

Just a sugestion, only a faq.

Best to contact the county you live in.

State and local they can give, we found

it not the same as federal level. Just what

we found, more or less. (not typ). Results

may vary....................

As far as FED law goes makes no sense why

she has not the right to work. SSN gives you

all the right you need, don't it?

Edited by ididntdoit (see edit history)

How exactly does it work? Wendy is getting bored to tears here at home, on her extended vacation. We plan to mail off the AOS packet later this coming week. How long must we wait before Wendy can work? We have her SSN card and stuff, just wondering what others have experienced and what we might look to expect. Thanks! :toot:

Hi Dylan,

Other states seem to do it differently..... :D

I take it that an alien wife can not work with out both an EAD and a SS number??........ :redblob:

I will be filing AOS for Ling and the boys during last part of April and all of May. I wanted to wait until my 2008 taxes were filed before I file for AOS. And I don't like to give Uncle Sam his money until the last possible moment.............. :hug: :P

Tom and Ling

EAD and SS are Federal - governed by the same laws everywhere. K-1's are "work authorized" for the duration of their visa - long enough (90 days) to allow them to get an SSN and get married.

Well Randy,

K3's are not "work authorized" at least in North Carolina ,,it may be different in other states.

North Carolina requires EAD before issuing SS#,,that is if you want SS# before AOS.

At least that is what we were told in Durham, NC

Tom and Ling