3g in China

He is probably better off buying a phone in China, unless he can't get what he wants. The phones are always unlocked in China.

Does China even have 3g? I know I can't get it anywhere in Shanghai. It has been in the news alot about developing 3g networks, but I am not sure that it exists in China.

He is probably better off buying a phone in China, unless he can't get what he wants. The phones are always unlocked in China.

Does China even have 3g? I know I can't get it anywhere in Shanghai. It has been in the news alot about developing 3g networks, but I am not sure that it exists in China.

My 3g phone always works in China for voice service.

The 3g/2g etc. are the advanced function (usually internet access) specification.

If all you want to do is talk on your phone, any quad band phone that uses a sim chip will work. Get quad, not tri band as I believe the additional band is the one used in China.

As for unlocking them, cell providers (at&t) have gotten very reasonable with this. I got 2 new phones with my service plan, called at&t support and told them I was going to china, and wanted them unlocked so I could use them there. The took a minute and gave me the unlock code and walked me through unlocking the phones.

I still wish I had a Chinese phone though, because my american phone wont allow me to input or receive Chinese characters.

My 3g phone always works in China for voice service.

The 3g/2g etc. are the advanced function (usually internet access) specification.

If all you want to do is talk on your phone, any quad band phone that uses a sim chip will work. Get quad, not tri band as I believe the additional band is the one used in China.

As for unlocking them, cell providers (at&t) have gotten very reasonable with this. I got 2 new phones with my service plan, called at&t support and told them I was going to china, and wanted them unlocked so I could use them there. The took a minute and gave me the unlock code and walked me through unlocking the phones.

I still wish I had a Chinese phone though, because my american phone wont allow me to input or receive Chinese characters.

I don't have any problem with voice over GSM, which is what AT&T uses. I can usually pick up the Edge network for data, but I have never been able to pick up 3g in Shanghai. I question whether 3g exists anywhere in China. I really don't know.

AT&T will sometimes unlock phones for long time customers. They did it with my Epix, but I made them agree to do it before I bought the phone. My colleagues have had varying degrees of success. If your phones is out of contract, no problem.

Take a look in ebay and craigslist for your area... lots of keywords can be used in combination:

- phone, iphone, 2g, 3g, quadband, GSM, P168, i9, etc.

The iphone does setup in chinese... so you can see menu in chinese, and send / receive in chinese... it allows a few input types.