tax question!

Hi, everyone

First of all, since my husband is so busy with his work so I am just searching around about tax filling and post this here myself, hope you guys can understand and ignore my poor English.

Here is my situation: I entered the U.S in Feb of 08 and was not an legal permanent residence until Jan 09. I did not make any money[what about the interest I made through our joint bank account] until now but my husband and I are think of filing tax jointly[what about the interest I made through our joint bank account]. But we, especially me have no clue what I should do and what forms will be involved. So hope I will get some help through candleforlove since there are so many intelligent people. Many thanks in advance!

Edited by bla (see edit history)

You made no money; you owe no taxes. But since you are filing jointly, your name will be on the return with your husband's. Where it says to enter income, you will enter his income only. Where it says enter interest income, you will enter the interest earned from your joint account. The only form you need is the 1040, which is a fairly simple one. You will attach a copy of your husbands W-2 (which his employer should have already sent to him), and a copy of your interest income. That's it! :ph34r:

From 1966-2005 I always did my own income taxes. For the last 3 years I have paid a tax service to do them, since with my business they are much more complicated and time consuming now.

If you have an income next year (2009) and still wish to file jointly, then you will add both of your income amounts together and enter on the form.

If you don't have a SSN, you should get one, and soon, at any SSA office in your town - bring your greencard.

The 'tax year' for 'benefits' has nothing to do with the date you received your green card, it has everything to do with the marriage date.

If you were overseas, I'd recommend getting an IRS form W-7, and submitting all of the tax forms, paper returns, to the special W-7 address in Austin - but- you don't need an ITIN, you have a social security number, right ?

Now, with all that in mind, you MIGHT be able to FILE electronically (on line filing) - but there is a chance the IRS doesn't know your SSN yet (SSA does, sure... ) so there might be some problem on the authentication checks that any software will perform. If that's the case - don't worry TOO much if you want to continue using Tax Prep software - just fill it all out, then PRINT IT, and mail it in to your IRS Service Center for your state - you can still receive any tax refund electronically through the Treasury Department (no worries there).

Tax a look at the 1040EZ first - then the 1040A, then the 1040. If you decide you need the schedule D form, (or was it schedule A?) then you can fill that out for the interest..

The IRS forms are up at http://www.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/formsInstructions.html

You want the 1040 series (1040ez, 1040A, 1040)

Good Luck !

Warmest Regards

Edited by Sebastian (see edit history)

Thanks sooooo much for all you guys! I actually called IRS yesterday after I post this and the service was amazing. My English level is limited especially when it comes with tax stuff through the phone. She was so patient and tried to explain to me every single question which I had trouble to understand. After I explained my situation to her she told me only Form 1040EZ and Form 1096 will be needed since we want file jointly and we have other income resources. Thanks again guys.