I-864 questions

hello all,

I'm back with more questions and just as confused as ever! Okay, some quick background info:

-I'm an American female married to a Chinese citizen.

-I'm the petitioner, and my mother will be the joint sponsor. We will petition for him only.

-She and I have both filled out the I-864 (she's filled this out cause I am still living in China, waiting for my husband to get his visa. We will live with her upon our arrival into the US.)

I'm having trouble understanding Part 3 #8:

Do I check the box: I am sponsoring the principal immigrant named in Part 2 above.

and: the "yes" box underneath? (didn't understand this cause i assumed checking the original question meant "yes." What is this "yes" for?"

Should my mother check both boxes too?

This is probably a question I have overthought too much and now I've been spinning around in circles way too long to be able to tell my right from left.

Also, I've heard it is better to mark ALL blank spaces with N/A in case some bad seed decided to use this application to help somebody else. What do you think about this?

Thank you guys a bunch!

Edited by cguo7 (see edit history)

I'm going to take a stab at this since no one else is awake lol. I would wait for someone else to verify this before proceding.

Since it is your husband you are the primary sponsor so you would check yes. Your mother I believe would check no. I found this in the instructions

A jointsponsor must be able to meet the income requirements for allthe persons he or she is sponsoring without combiningresources with the petitioning sponsor or a second jointsponsor. Any dependents applying for an immigrant visa oradjustment of status more than six months after immigration ofthe intending immigrants must be sponsored by the petitionerbut may be sponsored by an original joint sponsor or a differentjoint sponsor.

hello all,

I'm back with more questions and just as confused as ever! Okay, some quick background info:

-I'm the petitioner, and my mother will be the joint sponsor. We will petition for him only.

-She and I have both filled out the I-864 (she's filled this out cause I am still living in China, waiting for my husband to get his visa. We will live with her upon our arrival into the US.)

Do I check the box: I am sponsoring the principal immigrant named in Part 2 above.

and: the "yes" box underneath? (didn't understand this cause i assumed checking the original question meant "yes." What is this "yes" for?"

This is probably a question I have overthought too much and now I've been spinning around in circles way too long to be able to tell my right from left.

Also, I've heard it is better to mark ALL blank spaces with N/A in case some bad seed decided to use this application to help somebody else. What do you think about this?

Thank you guys a bunch!

your mother should also check yes to this. the only time no would be checked is if you have 2 joint sponsors and one of the joint sponsors is not sponsoring the principle immigrant listed in part 2 , but they are sponsoring family members from part 3, number 9.

its always best to mark blanks with none or n/a. good luck!

thanks and Congratulations!!!! You must be on cloud nine!!!!

cguo7,

in your case, you should only check "yes" to item 8 and check "yes" underneath item 8.

you are not sponsoring people listed in #9.

i checked both "yes" on my wife's form. she got her visa yesterday.

great, thanks so much Dale. You're awesome! CG

hello all,

Thank you guys a bunch!

your mother should also check yes to this. the only time no would be checked is if you have 2 joint sponsors and one of the joint sponsors is not sponsoring the principle immigrant listed in part 2 , but they are sponsoring family members from part 3, number 9.

its always best to mark blanks with none or n/a. good luck!

thanks and Congratulations!!!! You must be on cloud nine!!!!

cguo7,

in your case, you should only check "yes" to item 8 and check "yes" underneath item 8.

you are not sponsoring people listed in #9.

i checked both "yes" on my wife's form. she got her visa yesterday.

yes we are, cloud nine to the billionth power!!!