2 - 18387.50

3 - 23162.50

4 - 27937.50

5 - 32712.50

6 - 37487.50

7 - 42262.50

8 - 47037.50

Good post Kyle.

That is the 2011 guideline which just came out.

The change from 2010 is only around $275 or so for each classification. My wife told me about it from her studys on 001.

tsap seui

Here is the full table. This is NOT the 125%.

2011 HHS Poverty Guidelines

48 Contiguous States and D.C. Alaska Hawaii

Persons in Family

1 $10,890 $13,600 $12,540

2 14,710 18,380 16,930

3 18,530 23,160 21,320

4 22,350 27,940 25,710

5 26,170 32,720 30,100

6 29,990 37,500 34,490

7 33,810 42,280 38,880

8 37,630 47,060 43,270

For each additional person, add

3,820 4,780 4,390

SOURCE: Federal Register, Vol. 76, No. 13, January 20, 2011, pp. 3637-3638

• 1 year later...

My wife interviewed at the Guangzhou Consulate last week and we got the blue sheet because of lack of finances. I know that I don't meet the HHS standards but my assets are more than enough to cover. According to part 29 of the I-864 Step by Step Instructions (because I am a US citizen sponsoring my spouse), the total value of my assets must be at least 3 times the difference between our current household income and the current poverty guidelines for our household size. I meet this figure by a factor of many times. The Consular Officer we dealt with seemed to be quite inexperienced and unaware of this asset ratio and said we need a Joint Sponsor anyway. We have found a joint sponsor that meets the income requirement and can go that route BUT my questions is: Is there any point to argue our point in a letter? We are thinking we'll resubmit my I 864 and mention our points again and submit the Joint Sponsors as well. Does this make any sense? Any suggestions?

Yes - do as you're asked. they are REQUIRED to consider not only the I-864, but the "totality of circumstances" in determining whether your spouse might become a public charge.

It's best to have a job lined up in the U.S. or at least to submit evidence that you are seriously looking. For now, your co-sponsor is needed. It's unclear from your post what your job situation is, but that is important to determining your ability to support your wife in the future.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Another point about assets is they need to be easily converted to cash, and doing so would not pose a hardship to you. For example a second car such as a collector car not your daily driver, would need to have appraised, cash in the bank, a second home, etc...

Sometimes the consulate will simply request a joint sponsor anyway.

My wife interviewed at the Guangzhou Consulate last week and we got the blue sheet because of lack of finances. I know that I don't meet the HHS standards but my assets are more than enough to cover. According to part 29 of the I-864 Step by Step Instructions (because I am a US citizen sponsoring my spouse), the total value of my assets must be at least 3 times the difference between our current household income and the current poverty guidelines for our household size. I meet this figure by a factor of many times. The Consular Officer we dealt with seemed to be quite inexperienced and unaware of this asset ratio and said we need a Joint Sponsor anyway. We have found a joint sponsor that meets the income requirement and can go that route BUT my questions is: Is there any point to argue our point in a letter? We are thinking we'll resubmit my I 864 and mention our points again and submit the Joint Sponsors as well. Does this make any sense? Any suggestions?

I know the instructions talk about assets ratios, but, I also know you are dealing with the US State Department in Guangzhou, China. So yes, this makes sense.

Give them exactly what they ask for in the blue slip.

Knocking your head against the wall with what instruction sheets say and what a visa officer in the consulate in Guangzhou asks for will only give you a headache, and add additional time in the delay of your wife getting her visa. The visa officers don't care what the instruction sheets say, they have their "own" rule book.

Give them the joint sponsor info quickly and try to get your dear wife out of their hands as quickly as possible. Good luck.

tsap seui

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

Thank you for the responses! My wife and I are opening a startup so we are employed but do not have a steady stream of income at the moment. The reason for my frustration is that all of the assets I provided are liquid cash so I didn't get why they wouldn't think were usable.

Based on responses, I totally get that we should just follow the blue paper and provide a Joint Sponsor. Will do. However, in addition to our Joint Sponsor's I864 do you think resubmitting my documentation (I864 + asset proof) and explanation letter will help our chances or will the Officer just get confused?

Re-submitting your I-864 is probably wise. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't include a polite letter explaining your asset situation.

The thing to do initially would have been to include an explanation (hopefully from a CPA or equivalent) explaining your job and expected income situation. They are required to consider the "totality of circumstances" - NOT just the I-864 in making their decision. It's up to you to give the correct picture. And NOT just what the I-864 asks for.

Yep, signing the I-864 is a legal contract between sponsor or joint sponsor and the .GOV is so if immigrant uses a means tested benefit like welfare, if the primary sponsor is unable to repay the .GOV, then they expect repay to be handled by the joint sponsor.

Running thread about I-864

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44936-affidavit-of-support-how-long-am-i-liable/

• 3 years later...