hyphenate

Guest Se_Lang

Guest Se_Lang

OK folks what is your opinion or what is normal?

I asked my MM tonight what she will do, keep her name or take mine and she says both, well I don't like hyphenated names an had to disagree with her, I know this is a cross cultural relationship and I should be more open minded and if this is what she wants I wont fight it, but god I hate hyphenated last names.

Jingwen kept her family name when she was once married, so I do not expect her to change it now. The kids have their dad's family name, and I don't expect them to change either.

I'm like you. I don't particularly like hyphenated names. If someone can't pronounce Jingwen's or the kids' surnames, tough. Would I change my name if I resided in China? Highly unlikely.

As soon as the immigration mess is out of the way I plan on taking wo-de TT-de min-ze as my own..

Yes, I know I'm gonna get some looks:

Anyone looking at my ID: "You have a Chinese last name!?!? "

Me: "Yes, I do. What are you trying to say, a black man can't have a Chinese last name? So now the white man wants to prevent me from getting in touch with my Chinese heritage?? :wub:

No, the real reason is... it gives a bit of consolation to my father in law to know the family name is getting passed on.

Guest Se_Lang
No, the real reason is... it gives a bit of consolation to my father in law to know the family name is getting passed on.

That is cool, but what about your family name is it going to get passed on or do you already have children? I already have 2 boys that carry my name so I am not real worried about that, She and her sister are the only 2 kids from her father so he has no males to carry on his name and if we have kids I am not sure how that would work, can they carry the mothers surname or would it have to be mine, and if they was able to carry her surname would they feel like they were less of my children since they don't carry my name, Once you start to look at all the sides it gets the head spinning :wub: