Business Visa while K-1 is outstanding?

Like many of you, our wait for the K-1 is long and difficult. I understand that tourist visa's are almost never approved if you have a K-1 or K-3 outstanding so we aren't even going to go there.

However, my future wife has a chance to come to USA for a business project. Will this create any problems with our K-1 filing? It is optional for her to come, but is she did come, we would like to be able to see each other while she is here. Having said that we do not want to create problems or delays in our K-1 process.

This is a legitimate trip for business and would be made with an American co-worker in China and a Chinese national.

This would be a 4th meeting of us if we met after she came - would you document this to help the K-1 process? or remain silent about this meeting?

What do you think? The last thing we want to do is create problems with the K-1 as it takes forever and a day.

Like many of you, our wait for the K-1 is long and difficult. I understand that tourist visa's are almost never approved if you have a K-1 or K-3 outstanding so we aren't even going to go there.

However, my future wife has a chance to come to USA for a business project. Will this create any problems with our K-1 filing? It is optional for her to come, but is she did come, we would like to be able to see each other while she is here. Having said that we do not want to create problems or delays in our K-1 process.

This is a legitimate trip for business and would be made with an American co-worker in China and a Chinese national.

This would be a 4th meeting of us if we met after she came - would you document this to help the K-1 process? or remain silent about this meeting?

What do you think? The last thing we want to do is create problems with the K-1 as it takes forever and a day.

i dont see this causing any problems with the k1 visa provided she doesnt overstay her visa. also, you dont need to hide anything. good luck!

Edited by dale7570 (see edit history)

Interesting question.. I'm not sure what the outcome would be, but there shouldn't be any harm in applying.

My guess is that it might even help to show that she had been to the US and returned, if indeed the business visa is granted. I had a Chinese colleague, an unmarried female, apply recently for a visa to come to the US on business. The only question they asked her was, "How are you today?", then said, "Enjoy your trip to the US."

There's one gotcha, however. She hasn't come over yet, but I had another colleague come from China the year before last. In order to make sure that he returned, he had to sign an enforceable contract that said he would not leave the company for one year.

Definately try... I think we want to know the answer :roller:

I can't see why they would deny if she has a documented business purpose. If it was just a tourism visit I could see their concern. Make sure she has a letter from her work documenting the need, when she will go and when she will return.

My girlfriend was able to get a visitor visa but we are not engaged yet. She was able to get it no problem but stayed in the US for a year previously on a J-1 (coming and going an additional time during that year) and brought documentation of her professional employment showing the need to return. (Note that in the application they ask point blank if she is engaged to a USC which probably quashes many apps).

Please answer with the results when she does interview...

Edited by Lee VD (see edit history)

Definately try... I think we want to know the answer ;)

I can't see why they would deny if she has a documented business purpose. If it was just a tourism visit I could see their concern. Make sure she has a letter from her work documenting the need, when she will go and when she will return.

My girlfriend was able to get a visitor visa but we are not engaged yet. She was able to get it no problem but stayed in the US for a year previously on a J-1 (coming and going an additional time during that year) and brought documentation of her professional employment showing the need to return. (Note that in the application they ask point blank if she is engaged to a USC which probably quashes many apps).

Please answer with the results when she does interview...

We have checked many places. I don't know. Some think this will create additional problems and delay in our K-1 and while I don't see how it could, I really don't want to risk that so we will not even try.

The longer we look and the more we read both here and at other sites about some people having to wait much longer than average, about inordinately long security clearances, about people being denied based on "lack of bonafide relationship" when the poster tells us what he/she submitted and it seems fine to me and finally the dreaded "denied but no reason given" has taken it's toll.

We feel beaten down by the system and we are both very discouraged.

It seems like many feel this way. How do you keep your spirits up during this long waiting period? Especially when there is no apparent sign of progress.

I just can't see it harming your K visa process as long as she answers honestly on the application. If she has a legitimate business reason she should be allowed to go. People who have jobs that require international travel can't be cut off just because they get engaged. The biggest risk is that at POE they deny her but I wouldn't imagine that happening with a business reason, especially since she has a track record of travelling to the U.S. and returning.

Also, you are only 3 months past your NOA1. I think NOA2's have been running 4 months recently at best so your current timeline is on track and most recently we have been hearing more good news than bad news stories and some backlogs finally getting addressed to some degree.

Edited by Lee VD (see edit history)

I think yer forgetting one thing: she's been to the usa before, and has successfully received visas to come. She even has a visa stamp for UK.

I sense if this was just her first time, then she'd have a snowball's chance in h3ll to come in.

But since the US Consulate already knows of her because of her prior visas, they should be easy for 'yet another visa', regardless of the k-1 status. that's my 2 jiao, YMMV.

Edited by Sebastian (see edit history)

Since it appears she had a visitor visa just last year she should be able to just mail-in a renewal and not even have to interview. I suggest she send in supporting documentation and she would just have to check the fact she is engaged to a USC and see what happens. But then again maybe an interview would help in this case?...