Getting a Chinese visa in the US

So, I'm getting ready to get my Chinese visa to go there this summer for a trip, and I'm wondering -- is it a problem to get a visa through a consulate that technically doesn't have jurisdiction over your state?

I ask b/c, from the comments on this forum, it seems like there are some super agents who go through Houston (and I REALLY need a good agent b/c I'm trying to apply for a 2-year 90 day multiple entry), but in fact it's Washington DC's consulate that has jurisdiction over my state.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

So, I'm getting ready to get my Chinese visa to go there this summer for a trip, and I'm wondering -- is it a problem to get a visa through a consulate that technically doesn't have jurisdiction over your state?

I ask b/c, from the comments on this forum, it seems like there are some super agents who go through Houston (and I REALLY need a good agent b/c I'm trying to apply for a 2-year 90 day multiple entry), but in fact it's Washington DC's consulate that has jurisdiction over my state.

I used http://mdvisaplus.com in houston if you get it from Micheal it don't matter where you live in the US. It only took him 1 day to get my visa after he recieved my passport in the mail I had my visa in my hand in 1 week. Chinese embassy is in Houston

We went through a visa agency that has offices in San Francisco and Washington DC. They as well as others told us that the SFO consulate doesn't like to give out visas for more than 30 day durations. We sent our applications to the Washington DC office and they got us 60 day multiple entry visas. My wife's is good for 2 years, mine is only good until August because my passport expires in November.

We went through a visa agency that has offices in San Francisco and Washington DC. They as well as others told us that the SFO consulate doesn't like to give out visas for more than 30 day durations. We sent our applications to the Washington DC office and they got us 60 day multiple entry visas. My wife's is good for 2 years, mine is only good until August because my passport expires in November.

Houston embassy gave me a 6 month 1 entry $157.00 and then I got second one here in Ganzhou 920 yuan ($134.52)

Thanks so much for the answers guys!

That's great to know that if you choose an agent, you can go through the consulate they have the relationship with. Sounds like there are some great agents in the DC area too. Strange about San Fran Consulate and their unwillingness to give out anything more than 30 days...but anyhow, I will be sure to avoid it.

A 2 year visa generally requires that you have had two previous visas. I have a two year, but I previously had have two one year visas. I asked for 30 day; they gave me 60. Most require a letter of invitation or confirmed hotel reservations, but the LA consulate does not require anything. We use Cibt. They're good. They will send your passport/visa to wherever it's fastest, even if it is two different locations.

In my case the consulate for NY is in NYC, however I have always used Oasis Visa Service located near Washington DC, they run the application and passport into the Embassy, and return it to me quickly. Makes no difference where you live when you use the visa service.

http://www.oasischinavisa.com/tourist_visa.html

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

I just sent mine to visarite in New Jersey. They seem to keep up to date information on their pages, and have been very good about providing information related to status and expected date of the visa. Current stipulations for a two year visa require one of the following:

Scenario One: For applicant born in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan or Macao and has investment in China. You may apply for it if all following conditions are meet:

1. You were born in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macao. Your passport must show China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Macao as place of birth.

2. You have received at least one multiple entry visa before and have been to China at least 2 times in the last 12 months.

3. You have investment in China such as real estate. Copy of deed is required.

Scenario Two: For applicant born in mainland China, visiting parent(s) or child(ren) who are Chinese citizen and reside in mainland China. You may apply for it if all following conditions are meet:

1. You were born in China. Your passport must show China as place of birth.

2. Either your parent(s) or child(ren) must reside in China. Photocopy of the birth certificate as proof and an invitation letter are required. You must also provide their name, address, contact phone on the visa application form section 4.7 - 4.10.

3. You have been to China at least 2 times in the last 12 months. Copy of previous visa and entry stamps are required.

Scenario Three: For US citizen married to Chinese citizen. You may apply for it if all following conditions are meet:

1. You are married to a Chinese citizen.

2. Your spouse must reside in China (proof or statement is required). Photocopy of marriage certificate as proof and an invitation letter are required. You must also provide your spouse's name, address, contact phone on the visa application form section 4.7 - 4.10.

3. You have been to China at least 2 times in the last 12 months. Copy of previous visa and entry stamps are required.

They have this to say on multiple entry visas:

Can I apply for a multiple entry visa?

Please be informed multiple entry visa is now under tight control. To see if you are qualified for a multiple entry visa, please answer following questions:

1) Do you hold US passport?

2) Have you applied for a Chinese visa in recent 5 years?

3) Are you able to provide a copy of your previous Chinese visa and entry stamp?

If you answer no to any of these, you can only get a single or double entry visa.

Dan, maybe one of the moderators can oasischinavisa to the list of links. Looks like a pretty good service, and they take credit cards. Some of others require you to provide you own return postage, and just seems a tad inconvenient.

my husband use mychinavisa.com

very fast and helpful.

hong

Thanks guys!

Bert Jie-Lin, Craig and Mingjun, thanks for sharing the info on 2-year multiple entry. It's actually a bit confusing at times, because different sites seem to say more or less about the requirements for it. Take for example what I heard from mychinavisa.com when I asked about it:

Thanks for the inquiry. Right now the standard visa is 1-year multiple entry, with maximum 90-day duration of stay per entry. If you could provide copy of your spouse's Chinese passport and marriage license, the Chinese Consulate may consider to give you a 2-year visa. All other documents and fees are the same as 1-year visa. But it's up to the Chinese Consulate to determine if you will receive a 2-year visa. They will at least give you a 1-year visa if the 2-year application is not approved.

Please follow the instructions on our website and send all required documents listed there. You do not need to provide any documents that are not mentioned on our site.

If you have any questions, please feel free to give us a call.

I had seen the information you mentioned, Craig and Mingjun, on the 2-year multiple entry. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Bert Jie-Lin, I checked out Cibt, and here are their requirements for 2-year multiple entry:

1. Photographs

❍ Your passport photos must be printed on photo paper with a white background

❍ 1 color 2 inch by 2 inch passport-type photo is required. Snapshot photos are not acceptable.

2. Explanatory Statement for Multiple Entry Visa

❍ All applicants must supply a letter stating why they are applying for a multiple entry visa. A fax copy or

email copy will do. Please note that even though a letter is provided, it is still not a guarantee that a multi

entry visa will be granted.

3. Passport

❍ Your passport must have at least 1 blank visa page(s) for the visa stamp.

❍ You must send your ACTUAL passport and it must contain your signature before a visa can be issued

❍ Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months. If you do not have sufficient pages or your passport is

expiring in less than 6 months, please contact us for further instructions.

4. Application Forms

❍ Provide 1 fully completed and signed copy of the attached application form(s).

❍ The application(s) attached must be filled out using blue or black ink (if not filled out on screen).

❍ The name of the traveler on the application form must match how the name is written in the passport. All

fields on the form must be filled out, please don't leave any areas blank but instead write "N/A".

5. CIBT Order Form

❍ Completed CIBT Order Form attached.

6. Photocopy of all Application Materials

❍ Please include one set of photocopies of all documents submitted to CIBT for processing, including the

information page of your passport.

❍ A $4.00 fee will apply if you prefer to have us make photocopies.

The following is additional information pertaining to this travel document request:

● CHINESE BORN CITIZENS: If you were born in China, you need to write your name in Chinese characters on

the form. If you have not had a China visa in your current passport, you need to submit a copy of previous China

visas from an earlier passport or your original China passport.

● FAMILY & FRIENDS VISITS: If you are not staying in a hotel, you must provide copies of the proof of residency

of your host, for example: a drivers license or passport with a copy of a long term visa for China. The host also

needs to provide a letter with their residential address, phone numbers and all contact information. The letter

Page 2 of 10

must state that they will accommodate their friend or family member and must state how long the traveler will be

staying. Please attach a copy of the lease agreement or a document showing they own the residence, i.e. a

utility bill and copy of their passport. If visiting family, the consulate/embassy may require birth/marriage

certificates proving the relationship.

● VACCINATIONS: Countries may require vaccinations if your immediately prior point of departure is from certain

countries deemed a health risk. Please go to http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/contentVaccinations.aspx for the most

up-to-date health requirements for each segment of your trip.

The eligibility seems to vary from provider to provider, so I'm never quite sure if I'll get it. But I figured, since my husband and I are going to be going back every year (he's doing research there in the summer), it would save money to try and go for the 2 year.

At the very least, I've been the recipient of many (around seven, including 2 within the past five years) Chinese visas, and lived there for a long time, so I'm going to give it a shot. I figure if they fail, I'll just get the 1-year multiple entry instead.

I'm still deciding who to go through to get my visa, but I'll let you guys know who I end up choosing, and if the 2-year application is successful (along with what I submitted to get it).

Edited by Jocelyn (see edit history)

One thing that may help is to write a letter to include with your application to the Visa Officer. I explained in ours that my wife's mother is old and not in the best of health and we needed a multiple entry visa in case we have to make an emergency trip to China. My wife received a two year multiple entry for 60 day durations.

I live in Ohio and that puts my juristiction New York City, but I was born in Chicago and go there for family visits. I went both times for visa and marriageability document to Chicago, first time during June only thing they would issue was 30 day single visit, and I had to have all kinds of proof and questions, as well as wait 3 hours to see someone.

Next time in November no waiting took 2 minutes no question (I put on form i was married to Chinese citizen maybe that helped) and requested one year multiple, they issued one year multiple 90 day no problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Today we finally picked up my visa for the interview trip. After all the discussion here about the different visa restrictions and available durations, we chose to apply for a 2 year, multi-entry, with 90 day stays. It was no problem, the woman looked in my visa, and asked if I had proof of marriage to a Chinese citizen. I had the "little red book", she made a copy and away we go! To my surprise, the fee for the 2 years is the same as 1 year $130. The 90 days was not really a requirement for this trip, but it could come into play over the next 2 years. Thanks to everyone who put their $.02 into the visa threads so we could be aware of the options. Mike & Yizhen

By the way Chicago Consulate was very busy, 90 minutes on Monday am, and pick-up on Friday unless you pay extra. Drop off in the am and $30 to pick-up same day pm.

Edited by mikepellicore (see edit history)