Shanghai Pudong Airport

I've forgotten to ask, how long should I allow for getting though passport control and customs when I arrive? There is a flight 3 hours after I arrive in Shanghai. If I can take that, I could arrive in Chengdu in the early evening, where my girl would feel safe picking me up by herself.

Christopher

PS. Actually, minimum/average/maximum times for passport control and customs at different Chinese airports would be a valuable reference.

Edited by Christopher (see edit history)

3 hours is more than enough to pass through that airport, I traveled through there several times and passport control is very fast.

Note: There is a handy HSBC ATM in the hallway on the way to passport control that you can use to draw some RMBs from your US bank account.

I've been to China at least 12 times. You want statistical data? ha! I'd like to 'see' the traveler who recorded those times. Dream on. Yet, there probably is one... they'll speak right up, I bet!

I agree with Dan. Everywhere I've been the process has been fast. The slowest, of course, are also the biggest. Ultimately, like anywhere, it depends on how many jumbo jets arrived before yours.

I've been to China at least 12 times. You want statistical data? ha! I'd like to 'see' the traveler who recorded those times. Dream on. Yet, there probably is one... they'll speak right up, I bet!

I agree with Dan. Everywhere I've been the process has been fast. The slowest, of course, are also the biggest. Ultimately, like anywhere, it depends on how many jumbo jets arrived before yours.

If you've never been there before, this will help:

www.shanghaiairport.com/en/index.jsp

This is one of the most efficient airports in the world. 3 hours is plenty of time to do whatever you need to do and relax and have a brew before your next flight

I just flew into Pudong at the height of this year's Spring Festival travel period and although the airport was very crowded it only took me about 20-30 minutes to clear immigration, claim my bags and then clear customs.

Yeah,i've been to this airport 3 times,as everyone is saying,it is very quick,smooth.3 hours...plenty of time !!!!

jimi

been through beijing and shanghai several times on the way to xi'an...i will take shanghai pudong over beijing anyday....very easy to navigate and as others have said, immigration/passport control is much quicker there...3 hours is way more than enough time

Same here.

been through beijing and shanghai several times on the way to xi'an...i will take shanghai pudong over beijing anyday....very easy to navigate and as others have said, immigration/passport control is much quicker there...3 hours is way more than enough time

Just went through Beijing during the Chinese new years. That really sucked. :lol:

Shanghai is the way to go!

3 hours is plenty of time, Don't worry, have fun!

Mike

Guest ShaQuaNew

I've forgotten to ask, how long should I allow for getting though passport control and customs when I arrive? There is a flight 3 hours after I arrive in Shanghai. If I can take that, I could arrive in Chengdu in the early evening, where my girl would feel safe picking me up by herself.

Christopher

PS. Actually, minimum/average/maximum times for passport control and customs at different Chinese airports would be a valuable reference.

Shanghai Pudong is one of the largest airports in the world. The nice thing about it, is that it's well-laid out, and easy to navigate. I've always tried to allow at least two hours to get though the airport when traveling, which so far, has been more than enough.

It should't take you more than 30-minutes to exit your flight, get your bags, and get through customs. Thing is, one never knows whether there will be delays or long lines. Hanging out in the Shanghai airport isn't really too bad though. They have lots of beer and pretty girls walking about.

:rolleyes:

Christopher

Shanghai Pudong is one of the largest airports in the world. The nice thing about it, is that it's well-laid out, and easy to navigate. I've always tried to allow at least two hours to get though the airport when traveling, which so far, has been more than enough.

It should't take you more than 30-minutes to exit your flight, get your bags, and get through customs. Thing is, one never knows whether there will be delays or long lines. Hanging out in the Shanghai airport isn't really too bad though. They have lots of beer and pretty girls walking about.

:D

Only downside to Shanghai Pudong is that domestic flights out of there are not so cheap. I've paid much less for longer flights in the US. Beijing has less expensive flights out, and the flights in seem to cost the same as PVG.

OTOH, beer and pretty girls is nice.