Very first steps

Guest ShaQuaNew

When it comes to picking the best option for pursuing an American / Chinese relationship, it is a highly personal choice. Inasmuch as we may feel like we have met the person of our dreams, and that everything is wonderful and special, we are in fact essentially getting together with a stranger. No one can say at what moment we can be sure of making the right choice, which is why American citizens are presented with options.

I personally feel that K1 is the best alternative. Not because it's faster or better than other methods, but because it presents the petitioner with the most options. Who's to know if things will work out in the many months that it takes to secure the visa? If for some reason, there are nagging questions remaining after a K1 arrival, you have the option of NOT getting married. You still have 90-days to decide.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

When it comes to picking the best option for pursuing an American / Chinese relationship, it is a highly personal choice. Inasmuch as we may feel like we have met the person of our dreams, and that everything is wonderful and special, we are in fact essentially getting together with a stranger. No one can say at what moment we can be sure of making the right choice, which is why American citizens are presented with options.

I personally feel that K1 is the best alternative. Not because it's faster or better than other methods, but because it presents the petitioner with the most options. Who's to know if things will work out in the many months that it takes to secure the visa? If for some reason, there are nagging questions remaining after a K1 arrival, you have the option of NOT getting married. You still have 90-days to decide.

First, I'd like to thank everyone who has replied. I appreciate the perspectives from those have been through(or are currently going through) the process.

A couple key details here:

-I'm not here on a work visa, but a multi-entry business visa. I'm bouncing back and forth between the USA and China, though the majority of my time will be in China. As far as legal/technical status goes, I'm not an expat there on a work visa(yet). I don't know if or how this technicality affects my options.

-I'm certain that her parents will want a wedding in China - and I'd like to do this for them. Though from what I've read here, some have opted to have the cermonial marriage in China(without going through the additional step of legally registering the marriage), but go through the K-1 process.

One other question - is there a general consensus here on the value of hiring an attorney to help ensure the process goes smoothly, versus simply doing one's homework?

Edited by jsa23 (see edit history)

One other thing to add to ShaQuaNews' post. My feeling was no matter how many pictures she saw or the fact that her aunt was here and lives a few blocks away[i was vetted, you betcha] that I wanted LiWen to have the 90 days of the K-1 to make up her mind. As far as the lawyer thing goes you will get as many opinions on that as there are ways to file. I went the K-1 no lawyer route. The only thing I would do different is find CFL earlier to "frontload" the issues for the delay. If you are organized and everything is basic, save your money. If you can see problems or just feel better with a pro working for you, lawyer up. And if you do lawyer up, get one that knows specifics.

Guest ShaQuaNew

First, I'd like to thank everyone who has replied. I appreciate the perspectives from those have been through(or are currently going through) the process.

A couple key details here:

-I'm not here on a work visa, but a multi-entry business visa. I'm bouncing back and forth between the USA and China, though the majority of my time will be in China. As far as legal/technical status goes, I'm not an expat there on a work visa(yet). I don't know if or how this technicality affects my options.

-I'm certain that her parents will want a wedding in China - and I'd like to do this for them. Though from what I've read here, some have opted to have the cermonial marriage in China(without going through the additional step of legally registering the marriage), but go through the K-1 process.

One other question - is there a general consensus here on the value of hiring an attorney to help ensure the process goes smoothly, versus simply doing one's homework?

While we were legally married in the US, after my K1 wife arrived, we had a large wedding party and ceremony in China before she left. To most Chinese, it is actually viewed as official, in their hearts and minds, as it was to both of us.

As for your technical status, as long as you're a US citizen, there is nothing that should affect the way you file your paperwork; just be sure to always maintain a US address and bank account. I have a Chinese work visa, that must be renewed every year, but it doesn't change my status as a USC.

As for attorneys, I strongly recommend NOT getting or using one, unless your case hits some sort of legal snag that cannot be easily resolved. Most of the time, you can file better, faster, and more efficiently, than any attorneys office ever could; plus, you can avoid the delays you may experience through them filing late, or failing to keep you apprised of activity from day to day.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

as in life, preparation is often the difference in success... unfortunately, the overall preparation I am thinking about starts before you ever meet.

A baby will crawl before they walk; walk before the run; Yet I think most are caught up in the adrenaline rush of the cocktail of infatuation/love, excitement and future hope... and this spills into some hasty decisions and filings.

Take it slow... and prepare the entire process... I think a lawyer is generally not needed; A lawyer should be able to consult and not just do the paperwork; any monkey can do the paperwork... Finding a good consulting lawyer who truly knows GUZ is hard to come by anyways. But surround yourself with good information and resources which may include a chat with a lawyer, particularly if your case is not of the norm...

The problem is, it seems that GUZ has moved the cheese since a year or more ago... and so better preparation is probably called for.