Re-entry into US

I had heard from a resident at my work that she needed to fill out a form when she travelled out of the US. She said it was a new requirement as of last year.

My wife has a brand new passport and a valid green card. What other forms/paperwork do we need to re-enter the US after we leave for vacation?

Thanks in advance!

-Sy

Depends on how the person is in the USA, and how long they intend on being out of the country.

If in the USA as a refugee and dont have a green-card, then YES an I-131 needs to be filed for a re-entry permit.

OR if in USA on a K-1 or K-2 with AOS pending they will need to file an I-131 for an AP doc for re-entry.

IF a person has a green-card, they need to file an I-131 for a re-entry permit if time out of country is longer than 1 year, but less than 2.

A green-card holder does not need to file for re-entry if trip is less than 1 year. We have been to Canada several times since my wife got her green-card, NOT A PROBLEM.

I'd like to know which form the friend is talking about. But, then, I'd be hijacking the thread. Ah, nevermind, the question you posed about re-entry to the US after vacation was about your wife and her circumstances, not the friend.

What Lee said. And, what Dan said, but only the green card holder and re-enter from Canada parts. I doubt your vacation would exceed 1 year, but it could.....

I think the lady and her husband got a visa to go to school here. My wife is a green card holder though, and we were just going to the Europe for a couple of weeks and I wanted to find out if what the lady told me was true or not.

Thanks everybody!

-Sy

I'd like to know which form the friend is talking about. But, then, I'd be hijacking the thread. Ah, nevermind, the question you posed about re-entry to the US after vacation was about your wife and her circumstances, not the friend.

What Lee said. And, what Dan said, but only the green card holder and re-enter from Canada parts. I doubt your vacation would exceed 1 year, but it could.....

I think the lady and her husband got a visa to go to school here. My wife is a green card holder though, and we were just going to the Europe for a couple of weeks and I wanted to find out if what the lady told me was true or not.

Thanks everybody!

-Sy

If she's on a student visa, that's a different matter entirely. They are generally not allowed to leave the country.

Don't compare it to your own situation.

Thanks everybody!

-Sy

Yes, what 'the lady' said was true, for HER. Her situation is different than your wife's situation. Is as if one is comparing apples to oranges.

For your wife, she needs her PRC passport and her green card for re-entry into the USA.

For going to Europe, she'll need a visa or two or three. There is an EU visa, but is not recognized for UK entry.

Good Luck, Happy Journey !