I-129F Question

Hi,

I married with my wife at Wuhan, Hubei, now I am filling I-129F in order to send it after I received NOA.

On Question 18 - Am I suppose to treat fiance as spouse and explain the circumstance?

On Question 20 - What should I put?

Thank you very much.

Ricky

On question #18: I entered N/A in the large box and did not check either the yes or no boxes. She is your spouse.

On question #20: The answer will be Guangzhou and China.

Do the CR-1, it does not take much longer to get, and has the benefit of green-card upon entry.

For the most part CR-1 tends to take a bit longer (Less than 30 days) than K-3 to get if you prepare for NVC when they request I-864 fee, and Visa fee, as well as documents requested by NVC. In many cases the CR-1 petition reaches the consulate just before K-3 interview, which causes K-3 to get dropped and the interview becomes a CR-1 visa interview.

K-3:

I-130: $355

I-129F: NONE

Consulate: $131

Adjustment Of Status: $1010 I-485

($1496)

CR-1

NVC I-864: $70

NVC Visa fee: $400 ($355+$45)

($825)

I see many posts from K-3 holders stating, "Wow this sucks, I am stuck at home because I don't have EAD, DL, etc, or I am having hard time getting added to bank accounts because of NO SSN." K-3 has a 90 day or longer period of limbo while waiting for EAD or Green-card.

K-3 was developed at a time when CR-1 was taking much longer that today, NVC has greatly streamlined the CR-1 process to the point where K-3 becomes irrelevant. And lately USCIS has been holding both (I-129F and I-130) and approving them at the same time, eliminating the other reason for K-3, the long approval time for I-130.

Keep this in mind in this economy, the CR-1 with it's instant green-card looks very attractive considering the cost savings, and the ability of the immigrant being able to take a job shortly after entry to the USA. K-3 has the down-side of added cost, and NOT being able to legitimately take a job until they have EAD or green-card, EAD can take 90 days or longer to get.

Actually, I am thinking of doing CR1, and since I-129F doesn't cost any money, I want to send it in as well.

Do the CR-1, it does not take much longer to get, and has the benefit of green-card upon entry.

For the most part CR-1 tends to take a bit longer (Less than 30 days) than K-3 to get if you prepare for NVC when they request I-864 fee, and Visa fee, as well as documents requested by NVC. In many cases the CR-1 petition reaches the consulate just before K-3 interview, which causes K-3 to get dropped and the interview becomes a CR-1 visa interview.

K-3:

I-129F: NONE

Consulate: $131

Adjustment Of Status: $1010 I-485

($1496)

CR-1

NVC I-864: $70

NVC Visa fee: $400 ($355+$45)

($825)

I see many posts from K-3 holders stating, "Wow this sucks, I am stuck at home because I don't have EAD, DL, etc, or I am having hard time getting added to bank accounts because of NO SSN." K-3 has a 90 day or longer period of limbo while waiting for EAD or Green-card.

K-3 was developed at a time when CR-1 was taking much longer that today, NVC has greatly streamlined the CR-1 process to the point where K-3 becomes irrelevant. And lately USCIS has been holding both (I-129F and I-130) and approving them at the same time, eliminating the other reason for K-3, the long approval time for I-130.

Keep this in mind in this economy, the CR-1 with it's instant green-card looks very attractive considering the cost savings, and the ability of the immigrant being able to take a job shortly after entry to the USA. K-3 has the down-side of added cost, and NOT being able to legitimately take a job until they have EAD or green-card, EAD can take 90 days or longer to get.

The option that Dan isn't mentioning is to get the K-3 visa, have her come to the states, and then return to China for the CR-1 interview.

If the K-3 is dropped, there is no extra fee. If the K-3 interviews before the CR-1, then the cost is $131 (plus a round trip ticket or two) for a little extra time together in the states.

You can send in the I-129F NOW at no cost, and make your decision about =which path to follow when you have a more clear picture of the timing of each.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Randy and Dan, don't you have to worry about the NVC sending the I-130 (CR-1) back to USCIS, for AOS in the states? Mike & Yizhen

I'm not quite sure about the mechanics here, but I believe the option is available to a K-3 visa holder to have the CR-1 processed in their home country.

The I-824 used to be filed for this purpose, but I'm not sure that it applies if the I-130 is already at the consulate.

Seems like simply notifying them that you wish to pursue the I-130 would work (while also NOT filing the I-485 for AOS in the states), but I don't know.

You're right - the procedures have changed a couple of times in recent years.

It is possible, but USCIS has been holding them sometimes, even when the petitioner has requested the interview be in GUZ. If you wait until the I-130 is approved,before sending I-129F, then you would defeat the purpose of the K-3. If both petitions are sent to the NVC, then you could delay returning the P-3 if they are close. I think it is best to choose 1 path and pursue it diligently. Mike & Yizhen

It is possible, but USCIS has been holding them sometimes, even when the petitioner has requested the interview be in GUZ. If you wait until the I-130 is approved,before sending I-129F, then you would defeat the purpose of the K-3. If both petitions are sent to the NVC, then you could delay returning the P-3 if they are close. I think it is best to choose 1 path and pursue it diligently. Mike & Yizhen

In that case, you could file the I-824. I was under the impression that the second change was that they were no longer holding the I-130.

The whole point here is that you have options - choose the one that works. Right now, his choice is whether to send in the I-129F or not. He can decide later whether to pursue that option or not.

That is the problem I am trying to point out. If the USCIS decides to hold the I-130, then he would have to file the I-824, I think it is $400 and it takes 6 mo. Then K-3 is the only option. Mike & Yizhen

If you state that you want the I-130 to continue for the CR-1 on the cover sheet of the I-129F, you will likely get your I-130 sent to the NVC, but not always, and if it is not sent to the NVC, then you are stuck with the K-3 or you will have a 6 mo. delay.

Edited by mikepellicore (see edit history)

USCIS has been holding both I-129F and I-130 and approving them at the same time and sending both to NVC together. This has been posted about MANY, MANY times on VJ.

If you answer the I-864 and DS-230 packets and pay the NVC fees, they will keep the CR-1 moving through, and more than likely it will catch up to the K-3 at the consulate by the time of K-3 interview, if this happens the K-3 get's dropped for the CR-1.

OR simply delay responding to the K-3 P3 packet allowing the CR-1 to catch up.

That is the problem I am trying to point out. If the USCIS decides to hold the I-130, then he would have to file the I-824, I think it is $400 and it takes 6 mo. Then K-3 is the only option. Mike & Yizhen

If you state that you want the I-130 to continue for the CR-1 on the cover sheet of the I-129F, you will likely get your I-130 sent to the NVC, but not always, and if it is not sent to the NVC, then you are stuck with the K-3 or you will have a 6 mo. delay.

This practice you are talking about stopped over a year ago, USCIS has been approving and sending both I-129F and I-130 at the same time lately.

So where have you (recently) heard of them holding the I-130? I think people here are assuming that that won't happen any more.

But, yes, I agree that the whole thing with holding up I-130's and the I-824 complicated the life of K-3/CR-1 applicants when they were doing it.

Maybe I am out of touch, but the last person here that I remember with a K-3 changed to CR-1 was "NUWORLD" and that was before they started holding the I-130. Also, there are almost twice the number of CR/IR visa applications than K-visas. Before there where many more K-visas than CR/IR visas. I am sorry for the confusion, Mike & Yizhen

Edited by mikepellicore (see edit history)

Maybe I am out of touch, but the last person here that I remember with a K-3 changed to CR-1 was "NUWORLD" and that was before they started holding the I-130. Also, there are almost twice the number of CR/IR visa applications than K-visas. Before there where many more K-visas than CR/IR visas. I am sorry for the confusion, Mike & Yizhen

Ref: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...t&p=2669927