A few questions before I send off the I-129

Hi all,

I¡¯m just back from my second trip to China where I spent Chinese New Year with my fianc¨¦e¡¯ in Hangzhou. What an incredible experience!

Anyway, I am about to submit my K1 fianc¨¦e petition and have a few questions I hope you can help me with:

1. Chat logs and sessions - I have included a screen printout of our entire chat log with dates, but should I print the complete chat session or is the first page of 2-3 sessions for each month sufficient? Also, we mostly talk over Yahoo Voice everyday so most of our chat sessions only show our initial hello and a brief conversation before calling each other with Yahoo Voice. I am wondering if this will be a problem since all of our conversations about family and future plans together have been over the phone or in person.

2. Along with the necessary proof of meeting in person, I have front loaded my petition with evidence of an on-going relationship such as emails, daily phone call records, ecards, letters and poems to each other, records of flowers sent to my fianc¨¦e, pictures of us together on both of our vacations, pictures of our engagement party with her friends and family, etc. Is there anything else I am forgetting?

3. I am wondering whether it is better to explain my recently finalized divorce upfront especially since I have a red-flag with my long divorce and engagement to my fianc¨¦e before my divorce being finalized. I have explained this in our packet by including evidence that I was legally separated for a year and a half and lived alone before meeting my fianc¨¦e online and traveling to China to meet her for the first time. Is it better to explain this now or wait for the interview?

4. I have also included a letter attached to the I-129F explaining our relationship, how we met our 2 vacations together, our common interests and when and where we feel in love and decided to pursue the K1 Visa. Should my fianc¨¦e write a similar letter?

Thank you

Guest Dylan W

Hi all,

I’m just back from my second trip to China where I spent Chinese New Year with my fiancée’ in Hangzhou. What an incredible experience!

Anyway, I am about to submit my K1 fiancée petition and have a few questions I hope you can help me with:

1. Chat logs and sessions - I have included a screen printout of our entire chat log with dates, but should I print the complete chat session or is the first page of 2-3 sessions for each month sufficient? Also, we mostly talk over Yahoo Voice everyday so most of our chat sessions only show our initial hello and a brief conversation before calling each other with Yahoo Voice. I am wondering if this will be a problem since all of our conversations about family and future plans together have been over the phone or in person.

Front load with select captures and sessions. You can always provide more at the interview time, should you feel the urge to print everything. However I don't think they are going to want to read everything, just bring enough to show your ongoing communication. Provide what you can in the direction of call log history. I don't know with Yahoo! messenger, but Skype you can export a call log with a simple program. If this becomes a problem with Yahoo! You could always switch the Skype, and I don't mind sending you the call log exporting program.

2. Along with the necessary proof of meeting in person, I have front loaded my petition with evidence of an on-going relationship such as emails, daily phone call records, ecards, letters and poems to each other, records of flowers sent to my fiancée, pictures of us together on both of our vacations, pictures of our engagement party with her friends and family, etc. Is there anything else I am forgetting?

This is good, just remember again when preparing for the interview, to show more evidence of your ongoing relationship.

3. I am wondering whether it is better to explain my recently finalized divorce upfront especially since I have a red-flag with my long divorce and engagement to my fiancée before my divorce being finalized. I have explained this in our packet by including evidence that I was legally separated for a year and a half and lived alone before meeting my fiancée online and traveling to China to meet her for the first time. Is it better to explain this now or wait for the interview?

Be honest and upfront. Better than being blindsided in the end because you didn't explain the whole story. Since I don't know your story, I can't say anything really... but this is just IMO. Likely they are going to ask your fiance lots of questions come interview time, just prepare for that too.

4. I have also included a letter attached to the I-129F explaining our relationship, how we met our 2 vacations together, our common interests and when and where we feel in love and decided to pursue the K1 Visa. Should my fiancée write a similar letter?

You write this, but your fiance and you should both complete a notarized letter of intent to marry. I got a sample of this from VJ before I filed.

Thank you

You're welcome! I wonder why I'm the only one to post anything? I hoped I helped, even if just a little bit.

:)

Edited by Dylan W (see edit history)

It sounds like you've got it all together! :)

My suggestion is regarding your chat logs.

1) They will need to be dated in order to be considered.

2) Don't send anything you don't want read.

3) You probably will not need to send the entire thing. (Ours were quite voluminous.) Send some from the very beginning, perhaps one per week, and a few just before you're most recent trip to China.

I think as far as chat logs just a few would suffice. You are at this point just trying to establish the ability to communicate. I think what you are talking about is you discussed the "likelyhood of marriage"while going through the divorce and decided to marry "after" the divorce. :whistling: Right......

In regard to chat sessions it seems that in Yahoo messenger I can only print the first page of each session even though it is several pages long. (Does anyone know how to get around this?) This is why I was wondering if a page of one session per week is sufficient.

Yes, we discussed marriage and decided to get engaged before my divorce was final as I had been legally separated from my ex for over a year and a half and I didn¡¯t know how much longer the divorce would drag on. I wanted my fiancee to know I was serious about our relationship. Fortunately my ex and I finally came to an agreement but it still took another 3 months.

Thanks all for your advice and suggestions

chat logs are really irrelevant; particularly if you cannot print them out completely and not be able to provide them if asked... I'd not submit anything from chats. You could set yourself up (Or her).

Your somewhat complicated circumstances of meeting is what is going to be the issue... I'd make it clearly understood.

I think as far as chat logs just a few would suffice. You are at this point just trying to establish the ability to communicate. I think what you are talking about is you discussed the "likelyhood of marriage"while going through the divorce and decided to marry "after" the divorce. :eyebrow: Right......

In regard to chat sessions it seems that in Yahoo messenger I can only print the first page of each session even though it is several pages long. (Does anyone know how to get around this?) This is why I was wondering if a page of one session per week is sufficient.

Yes, we discussed marriage and decided to get engaged before my divorce was final as I had been legally separated from my ex for over a year and a half and I didn¡¯t know how much longer the divorce would drag on. I wanted my fiancee to know I was serious about our relationship. Fortunately my ex and I finally came to an agreement but it still took another 3 months.

Go to the chat session in the archive, click message and then click save. This will save the the complete chat session in notepad form. From there you can print the entire conversation.

chat logs are really irrelevant; particularly if you cannot print them out completely and not be able to provide them if asked... I'd not submit anything from chats. You could set yourself up (Or her).

Your somewhat complicated circumstances of meeting is what is going to be the issue... I'd make it clearly understood.

That's strange you say that. Our chats were the focus of our second interview as this was the majority of our communications. The VO specifically asked to see our chat logs and chats and then OKed the visa. My situation with a recent divorce was that of the OP but we were denied our K1. My then fiancee was asked about our communication during our K1 and she answered wrong.

I think as far as chat logs just a few would suffice. You are at this point just trying to establish the ability to communicate. I think what you are talking about is you discussed the "likelyhood of marriage"while going through the divorce and decided to marry "after" the divorce. :eyebrow: Right......

Go to the chat session in the archive, click message and then click save. This will save the the complete chat session in notepad form. From there you can print the entire conversation.

Thanks that works great.

That's strange you say that. Our chats were the focus of our second interview as this was the majority of our communications. The VO specifically asked to see our chat logs and chats and then OKed the visa. My situation with a recent divorce was that of the OP but we were denied our K1. My then fiancee was asked about our communication during our K1 and she answered wrong.

In this thread, we are talking about chat logs at the petition submisssion...

The interview is a preparation issue for ALL possible communications.. I wrote the kitchen sink.. so I know this.

Please clarify:

1. Did you submit chats at petition submission?

2. Did she bring chats to interview?

If I may ask, how did she answer wrong? I'm just trying to prepare as best we can.