Wisconsin Ginseng

My wife and I plan to go back to China in April we have purchased Wisconsin ginseng (whole root) at Chinese markets and I was wondering if anyone has ever ordered it online before from a farm or dealer from Wisconsin? if you have was the price comparative to the local markets? do you have the web address? we would like to take it back as gifts to friends and family.

i recommend buying from a chinatown market where you can see and smell the ginseng. a strong ginseng smell is a good indication of quality. online ginseng is hard to judge the quality of the ginseng. i pick up 3 pounds of ginseng at 100 usd when i visited my wife's family. when i open my luggage, it has a strong odor of ginseng.

sorry, i dont know any online that sells ginseng. :rolleyes:

I agree, especially with you in CA, you can find this product at most Chinese food stores. All of the large Chinese markets in the Sacramento area have the ginseng in either large barrels where you can hand pick what you want, or prepacked in plastic bags of different weights. I have looked online before and the store prices are much better than the online venues I have observed.

Most of the stuff they sell here in this state, is of Canadian origin. Not sure what the diff' is between the Wisconsin product and that just across the border in Canada ??

All I know is, the cows which make the cheese, are happier here in California, vs. those in Wisconsin !!! ;) B)

An old man I used to know about 25 years ago once took me and showed me how to find wild ginseng here in Alabama. It is really difficult to discern the difference between the leaf of it versus this other common plant. We found some and he offered a root to me, just brush off the dirt and eat some. Made me feel like Superman. He grew ginseng in his back yard which had a hill facing north and had linwood trees giving the right amount of shade. He had some very large plants. He knew everything about it. He sold the seeds and the roots. That was so interesting. I would not be surprised if he was still living!