SSN process for adult child accompanying parent?-edited

My dad's fiancee has a 19 year old son who will be coming with his mother. I know I've asked about the process for the paperwork for his mother once she is here, but what needs to be done for her son? Is it the same?

I was reading about the ssn process and it mentions needing to bring a valid I-94 with the application. what is the I-94?

What does her son need to fill out to get the I-94?

There is also another dilema. He took his final exams for his high school in china, but will not go through the graduation ceremony there since they are arriving this month to the US. He wants to start college this fall at a local community college, but I have no idea how to help him. Has anyone run into this situation? I called the local college but they have yet to get back to me.

Edited by Melanie (see edit history)

They each get their own. You will need them later to adjust status[AOS]. Try to pull up a blank sample in the forms section and print a sample so they know what to expect. It's easy and straightforward. My wife copied from someone on the flight and put down the same address in Chinatown they did. The joke was on her, she ended up 40 miles away in suburban sprawl. It didn't matter when we filed AOS.

If he has a visa in his passport, he doesn't have to travel with his mother (or does he?) I'm of the opinion he doesn't need to travel with his mother. If I'm wrong, someone here will say so, please?

The visa stamp has a 6 month 'usage' from the date of issue, but still, as I understand it, is for one entry. So if he wants to walk across and get the graduation certificate personally, he might have an option to stay.

for local college in usa - here's what I understand based on prior experience -

1. he'll need an ssn. since he's a k-2 - he can only get one via EAD or regular AOS w/I-485. the school might waive this for one semester.

2. first year o school MIGHT fall under international student guidelines and pricing. some junior colleges have special programs for recent immigrants that focus on quick ESL.

3. most colleges have some 'residency' requirements that delineate a student as 'out of state' vs 'in-state' for purposes of tuition. there is also an 'international student' tag. Is possible for him to get in , be accepted, without the international student label, but he may be paying 'out of state' rates for his first year of school.

4. he'll need to get a transcript of his high school classes. this might be difficult to get , depending on the school. if one is available, it will be in chinese. he'll then need to have it translated into english and the translation notarized. if he can get the chinese transcript, the english translation will be straightforward to get.

Does the local community college have a web site? All of the enrollment requirements should be listed there - have a look? Failing that, get on campus, ask for enrollment bulletin or school catalog.

Edited by Sebastian (see edit history)