Eating the Food

I never judge what other cultures eat. I have a pretty open mind and will try almost anything. I ate horse meat the other day. It was good although a little dry. I like honey comb tripe in Vietnamese noodle soup. I too would not knowingly eat dog for the same reasons most of you stated. I refuse to look down on Chinese people because they eat it though. Having grown up on a farm I have made pets out of all kinds of animals I later ate but I am preconditioned to balk at the idea of eating dog. As far as food as medicine I believe 100%. My wife knows what foods are best to eat for what illness. Chinese medicine treats the body like a garden. Western medicine treats it like a machine. What you eat can and does affect your health. Tofu is a great source for protien and has no cholesterol. Try cuting it into slabs about 1/2" thick and rolling it in corn starch with seasonings then fry it. Add a little soy sauce and mmmmmm good. Chinese do eat some things that seem odd to us but if you stick to vegetables, meat and rice you will live longer and healthier. The only thing I have eaten I didn't like on this trip was chicken blood. I tried it but didn't like it.

Have you tried the jelled pig's blood in hot pot?

Still my favorite dish is noodles, wet or dry. Everywhere we go I try the noodles. In fact tonight I had Vietnamese noodles with charbroiled shrimp.

My wife loves jellied pigs blood. :toot:

The IT boys are NOT gonna be happy having to clean the barf outta my keyboard.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I could not knowingly eat dog.

but you can knowingly eat beef, pork, chicken, and fish :D but only willingly eat certain parts :P

If you lived during early american period, you'd add horse to that list above :P

But I don't have any cows, pigs, chicken or fish living in my home nor am I on a first name basis with any. And none stare at me with big doey eyes when they're hungry or need to go pee. And I haven't raised any of them from 8 weeks old to 8 years. And none of them have stolen my wife's heart since she's been here or have kept her company every day while I'm at work.

You get the idea. ;)

I might guess... go back a few generations and your family did... I get that idea too :D

I never judge what other cultures eat. I have a pretty open mind and will try almost anything. I ate horse meat the other day. It was good although a little dry. I like honey comb tripe in Vietnamese noodle soup. I too would not knowingly eat dog for the same reasons most of you stated. I refuse to look down on Chinese people because they eat it though. Having grown up on a farm I have made pets out of all kinds of animals I later ate but I am preconditioned to balk at the idea of eating dog. As far as food as medicine I believe 100%. My wife knows what foods are best to eat for what illness. Chinese medicine treats the body like a garden. Western medicine treats it like a machine. What you eat can and does affect your health. Tofu is a great source for protien and has no cholesterol. Try cuting it into slabs about 1/2" thick and rolling it in corn starch with seasonings then fry it. Add a little soy sauce and mmmmmm good. Chinese do eat some things that seem odd to us but if you stick to vegetables, meat and rice you will live longer and healthier. The only thing I have eaten I didn't like on this trip was chicken blood. I tried it but didn't like it.

Still my favorite dish is noodles, wet or dry. Everywhere we go I try the noodles. In fact tonight I had Vietnamese noodles with charbroiled shrimp.

My wife loves jellied pigs blood. :D

:P :D

My wife loves jellied pigs blood. :P

Happy or not it is their job.

the only thing I dont like is "tripe"

cats , dogs, horses, rats, mice all very tasty :P

if we ever get together... I promise to cook you some spicy tripe which will make you beg for more :D

I also could not stand it... till I was shown the proper and spicy way :D

Spicy tendon is better :P

Guest Rob & Jin

the only thing I dont like is "tripe"

cats , dogs, horses, rats, mice all very tasty <_<

if we ever get together... I promise to cook you some spicy tripe which will make you beg for more :eatyum:

I also could not stand it... till I was shown the proper and spicy way B)

tripe and onions :blink:

just like my mumma used to make, thanks David ;)

can we have bussel sprouts with it ?

I gotta ask this...I've been to China a few times. Been to HK many times. Been all over SE Asia.

I grew up on meat and potatoes. Good ole' all-american stick to your ribs kinda food.

I can't eat that crap they call food in China. Duck intestines? Chickens feet? I can't even try it because the thought of eating it just makes me want to puke.

Eating intestines, to me, would be like eating a sewer pipe....basically, thats what it is...

You all know what I'm talking about. The list of "things" that Asians call food is endless and, IMHO, 90% of it is disgusting...

How do you guys eat this stuff without puking?????? <_<

you are what you eat...like andrew zimemem said, "to understand the culture of another county, you have to eat what they eat..."

Well on my second trip I was aware of what I pretty much liked and disliked so the dining experience was better. Maybe it was just me but I prefer the food in Beijing over the food in Baotou.

They put some sort of seasoning on most of the meat in china I find terrible. Once I was able to nail down why the meat tasted like feet I was happy with the food. I found that chicken heart cooked over coals and with only salt is my favorite so far. I look here all the time for it but the best I can do is get a pack of gizzards and hearts, they don't sell just the heart here :eatyum:

I am going to bring some of my favorite seasonings with me next trip along with how and when to use them. I'll leave them with the family there. I cooked burritos last time I was there for mom and dad and Ting. I brought the flower wraps with me from the states, turned out to be a smart move.

They LOVED the food I made, said they never saw meat cooked that way before. It's food that brought Ting and I together in the first place, neither one of us were looking for a partner at the time either.

Went on line looking for a dumpling recipe and got me a fianc¨¦ instead. ;) :blink:

The duck intestine in a brown gravy sauce served with onions I found very good.

There is a dark colored sauce they have in a bowl they serve with duck meat, not sure what it was but I gagged when I tried it. As a rule of thumb I guess when eating the meat there, salt and pepper only and preferably cooked over coals and your golden. But once the cook starts reaching for that brownish spice that makes everything taste like feet, freak the hell out on him till he understands not to put that crap on your meats <_<

Lucky for me I had me Ting to translate for me. B)

Edited by shadeOgray (see edit history)

I gotta ask this...I've been to China a few times. Been to HK many times. Been all over SE Asia.

I grew up on meat and potatoes. Good ole' all-american stick to your ribs kinda food.

I can't eat that crap they call food in China. Duck intestines? Chickens feet? I can't even try it because the thought of eating it just makes me want to puke.

Eating intestines, to me, would be like eating a sewer pipe....basically, thats what it is...

You all know what I'm talking about. The list of "things" that Asians call food is endless and, IMHO, 90% of it is disgusting...

How do you guys eat this stuff without puking?????? <_<

you are what you eat...like andrew zimemem said, "to understand the culture of another county, you have to eat what they eat..."

And if you want to be Chinese, then eat what the Chinese do!

Guest Rob & Jin

Well on my second trip I was aware of what I pretty much liked and disliked so the dining experience was better. Maybe it was just me but I prefer the food in Beijing over the food in Baotou.

They put some sort of seasoning on most of the meat in china I find terrible. Once I was able to nail down why the meat tasted like feet I was happy with the food. I found that chicken heart cooked over coals and with only salt is my favorite so far. I look here all the time for it but the best I can do is get a pack of gizzards and hearts, they don't sell just the heart here :blink:

I am going to bring some of my favorite seasonings with me next trip along with how and when to use them. I'll leave them with the family there. I cooked burritos last time I was there for mom and dad and Ting. I brought the flower wraps with me from the states, turned out to be a smart move.

They LOVED the food I made, said they never saw meat cooked that way before. It's food that brought Ting and I together in the first place, neither one of us were looking for a partner at the time either.

Went on line looking for a dumpling recipe and got me a fianc¨¦ instead. :P B)

The duck intestine in a brown gravy sauce served with onions I found very good.

There is a dark colored sauce they have in a bowl they serve with duck meat, not sure what it was but I gagged when I tried it. As a rule of thumb I guess when eating the meat there, salt and pepper only and preferably cooked over coals and your golden. But once the cook starts reaching for that brownish spice that makes everything taste like feet, freak the hell out on him till he understands not to put that crap on your meats :eatyum:

Lucky for me I had me Ting to translate for me. ;)

and so says the Navy <_<

Edited by Rob & Jin (see edit history)

They put some sort of seasoning on most of the meat in china I find terrible. Once I was able to nail down why the meat tasted like feet I was happy with the food. I found that chicken heart cooked over coals and with only salt is my favorite so far. I look here all the time for it but the best I can do is get a pack of gizzards and hearts, they don't sell just the heart here :lol:

If you have a Japanese Restaurant near you that makes Yakitori ask for shioyaki chicken hearts. That is the dish you are describing.