The Age Question

My fiancee is two years older than her national ID indicates. In filling out the paperwork, I used her birth date from her national ID. That seemed to be the safest course of action. This is going to cause a couple of problems.

If I tell her to be honest during the interview--which I will, she will tell them an age two or three years older than what is indicated on her national ID card, if asked. I fear the discrepancy will create doubt which will lead to denial. Age can be so confusing in China, maybe they won't even go there, but just in case...

The second problem, if we are unable to correct it, is going to be when it is time for her to collect social security. She will have to wait two years longer than she should.

Has anyone run into this? Any advice? How does one go about correcting the age? Should I leave it alone?

Edited by Bert-Jie Lin (see edit history)

Simply put, "My actual birthdate is different from the ID". No reason why she can't tell the truth and still keep all her documentation on the date the ID shows. Check her birth certificate - I'll bet it agrees with the ID.

My understanding is that it would be virtually impossible to correct within China.

This problem usually occurs with the wrong date, but within the same month. My wife's ID and birth certificate both say Dec 9, so we carried that over to her paperwork here.

Her birthday was actually Dec 29 (although her mother revised that to Dec 31 just last year).

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

What is the bday on her birth certificate or "hu kou"?

It's the same, I am told. From what I gather, it was a force registration. My guess is that her parents were trying to hide the fact that they had two children and tried to make the ages too close to be possible. Her mother gave her younger daughter her maiden name and the wrong birth year for my fiancee when the authorities came knocking.

Edited by Bert-Jie Lin (see edit history)

It's the same, I am told. From what I gather, it was a force registration. My guess is that her parents were trying to hide the fact that they had two children and tried to make the ages too close to be possible. Her mother gave her younger daughter her maiden name and the wrong birth year for my fiancee when the authorities came knocking.

If the birth certificate and ID is the same then no problem. Changing age because of possible complications with the Chinese gvt is common place. I am sure the Consulate is aware of this.

Your situation, and many similar ones, cause many CHinese to have the wrong information on Chinese documents. Most people go with the ID, HuKou, and Birth Certificate (If there is one) dates. As long as they all match -- then keeping it consistent is the important thing during the process. [i talked to 4 women friends at the Chinese University when I studied there and 3 of them had from 2-4 years subtracted from all of their official documents - it is very common in China ---and we think we're enamored with youth here in the US!]

The papers/documents are the facts - all other information is urban legend! Trying to correct these dates at this time is counterproductive to your efforts at the least, and harmfullllll to the process at best - IMHO. Having said, that - if I had any of the three documents that had the "correct date" on it, and felt like spending a few thousand RMB - fixing it would be a walk in the park -- if I was located in China - it's that easy. If I had filled out any papers for possible immigration -- I would never try to change it - again, IMHO.

Yes the SS delay of two years is a side-effect. Best of Luck.

Besides all the things you have pointed out, my wife reports her age based on the lunar calendar, and it is based on conception, not birth.

So, +- 1 or 2 years I think is within the reasonable range when trying to figure out how old someone is.

Besides, I have never heard of anyone being ask their age at the interview.

It could happen, but I think it is worrying about the really small issues.

My wife also says her birthday is different than the date on all the official documents.

Her's is only a few days off, but I told her we will use the official date. I actually insisted on celebrating her birthday on the 'official day'. She wasn't entirely pleased with that, (until she started getting birthday presents: After my first few trips out to the car, she cheered right up.) :lol:

My wife also says her birthday is different than the date on all the official documents.

Her's is only a few days off, but I told her we will use the official date. I actually insisted on celebrating her birthday on the 'official day'. She wasn't entirely pleased with that, (until she started getting birthday presents: After my first few trips out to the car, she cheered right up.) :blink:

Funny how gifts tend to to that to women :)

But i have to admit if confronted with a Bass Boat or something like that I'd forget my own name for a day or so :P