Cell Phone Mini-Tower in your home, for those with weak signal!�

I don't know if anything has been posted about this or not, but if you live in a rural area and poor cell phone signal strength, then Sprint, and I imagine others, finally came out with what they call AIRAVE.

I have only been yelling at Sprint for YEARS for an antenna or some signal booster mini-tower or something on my property. Sitting in the car up by the street is old. This came out in August but I didn't know until wifey clobbered :lol: me verbally about reception. I don't blame her. OUCH :D :D

My wife is working from home now and MUST be able to be paged and called in order to do her job when she is on call, like today for the next 7 days.

Here is a pic. It is the white device in the back. It has a GPS antenna and hooks into the internet router to broadcast in the house. They say it does not use the local tower at all.

5 BARS BABY :P :yahoo: :ok: :lol: :D

http://i43.tinypic.com/2uogvhz.jpg

and yes that is my modem on ice. But I think it is the Fax line giving the trouble for internet connections. Repair man comes tomorrow to check the wiring and then determine if we need a new modem.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

HOOOOOOOO :) In red just for Idave :D

Edited by SheLikesME? (see edit history)

Here's a review:

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/08/13/s...-airave-review/

But does she need a mobile at the farm?

Since you've already gots internets, get yerself a vonage ata device, and a uniden 5.8 gHz radio phone (gives ya about 1.7 km o distance from the phone base). With Vonage, ain't no 'minutes' billing issues, and I sense you'll recoup the costs in 3 months. You can get both a Vonage box and a Uniden Radio Phone system at Best Buy.

hmmm good luck?

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

I wonder if this will work for a broadband aircard for a laptop computer? I live in a valley and my signal is weak.

sykpe ?

Nope, it is a card that is inserted into a laptop that allows a mobile internet connection. It picks up signals from cell towers.

I wonder if this will work for a broadband aircard for a laptop computer? I live in a valley and my signal is weak.

sykpe ?

Nope, it is a card that is inserted into a laptop that allows a mobile internet connection. It picks up signals from cell towers.

IN fact they said that this is what it is really good for. It is why thay made it possible. I guess my cell phone signal wasn't enough over all these years of compaining.

If your signal is too low it does not work in the house.

Darnell yes she needs to use her cell and so do I. I prefer it over the land line. It keeps folks guessing where i am. Also we are stuck on Sprint for at least another 1.5 yrs. I signed up with a little company that used their system and then Sprint bought them. I kind of hate to leave I have been with them so long. Now my company uses them and I imagine I will be direct bill on my phone anyway one of these days.

5 bars. Man I got the biggest smile today. What a gift. And it is suppose to be free since I threatened to quit due to the signal so low in this one little pocket.

Here's a review:

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/08/13/s...-airave-review/

Here's what it all boils down to -- does this unit really make a noticeable improvement in call quality and signal strength? In a word, absolutely. We tested the unit in a home with notoriously awful Sprint coverage -- we're talking 0 to 1 bars, flashing in and out of roaming / Sprint service depending on how the wind blows. We used a certain Sprint handset in this domicile for a solid month and dropped countless calls and could barely hear when connected unless we waltzed over to "that spot by the window" and remained there for the duration of the conversation. In other words, we'd know for certain if this AIRAVE was working or not.

...we can pretty much sum up our impressions with this: the AIRAVE makes an unquestionable, unmistakable difference in call quality and reception in homes that currently have subpar or altogether poor Sprint service. To be honest, the calls were as clear as we had ever heard from a cellphone, and we really had to look twice at our UpStage to confirm that we weren't on a landline. And, mind you, this was talking to other cellies on different networks, not just landline numbers.

This is exactly the way my home is. It is unbelieveable the diference this makes, and I figured it would. Maybe I will even drop the land line now.

Douggie - nevermind - I forgot - it's you - it's like apples n oranges on comparison - I am so sorry, I truly forgot.

Darnell I am just :( thats all. I never do things the right way, much less the cheapest way. well not unless my wife gets on here and reads your post. :P I'm just stobborn.

Besides I am supposed to have the equipment and monthly free.