New I-134 Form - Does it need to be notarized?

My mother-in-law will have her interview for a tourist visa soon and was wondering if the new I-134 form (10/30/08) doesn't require it to be notarized.

http://www.uscis.gov.../i-134instr.pdf

Execution of Affidavit:

"...It is not necessary to sign form I-134 in front of a notary, nor have your signature notarized after you sign it"

So my questions is, does GUZ still requires the I-134 to be notarized?

Thanks.

My mother-in-law will have her interview for a tourist visa soon and was wondering if the new I-134 form (10/30/08) doesn't require it to be notarized.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-134instr.pdf

Execution of Affidavit:

"...It is not necessary to sign form I-134 in front of a notary, nor have your signature notarized after you sign it"

So my questions is, does GUZ still requires the I-134 to be notarized?

Thanks.

This is a good question, in light of the revision notation on the new form.

From my perspective, this is a USCIS form and not a DOS form. DOS will conduct the interview at the Consulate and this is the form that they have been using at this stage of the process, unlike later during an AOS stage, when they use the other form.

Herein is the issue: The reason for the notarization is to ensure the foreign national has not filled out their own version of the form and/or not paid some third party to fill out a bogus form. By having the notarization by a US Notary, who has witnessed your signature and verified your ID, they know for sure this is a true affidavit, from you the sponsor.

I would recommend just paying the $10 bucks and have the form certified here in the US, vs. having an issue with the VO and delaying the entire process for weeks or maybe months. Maybe the Consulate is also on board with respect to the change; however, my guess is that they still want notarization for any docs submitted by Chinese nationals, on behalf of the USC. Just my opinion and view.

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)

When the I-864 was changed to not require notarization USCONGUZ stayed that they would accept the form as is, without notarization. But that the I-134 still required notarization.

So I expect they will accept this new form as is, without notarization.

But it's best to follow Roger's advice, until we hear from them

Let's just apply straight forward logic here... any form which does not have a notary section does not get notarized; any form with a notary section is to be notarized... it should be self-explanatory.

I've yet to see USCIS or DOS to not follow this...

When it comes to submitting something which you did not write, then notarization is a good idea.

Thanks for all you reply. The guy at the UPS Store wouldn't notarize the new form, even after I'd request him to do so. Pfft. He wouldn't because there's no spaces where he can stamp it. Anyhow, I went ahead and fill out the old I-134 form which I had on my computer previously and got it notarized.

He can attach an all purpose acknowledgment to the new I-134 then notarize it.

This is crazy, I would think the consulate knows all about the new and improved I-134, the form has been around since last year November.

If anything gets questioned, simply attach a copy of the form's directions with the paragraph under "Execution of Affidavit" Highlighted Especially the part in the directions that says that "it is not necessary to signed it before a notary, nor to have your signature notarized after you sign it."

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)