Kids Passports

The good old US established a law reguarding passports for children. The law states:

AS DIRECTED BY PUBLIC LAW 106¨C113 AND 22 CFR 51.28:

To submit an application for a child under age 16 both parents or the child¡¯s legal guardian(s) must appear

and present the following:

• Evidence of the child¡¯s U.S. citizenship,

• Evidence of the child¡¯s relationship to parents/guardian(s), AND

• Parental/guardian identification.

IF ONLY ONE PARENT APPEARS YOU MUST ALSO SUBMIT ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:

• Second parent¡¯s notarized written statement consenting to passport issuance for the child,

• Primary evidence of sole authority to apply, OR

• A written statement (made under penalty of perjury) explaining the second parent¡¯s unavailability.

The law was written to keep one parent from skipping out of the country with the children with out the other parent knowing about it. Well my kids blood father is in China, the kids are here, I have the paper from him allowing them to come to America to live with us, and the law may stand in the way of them getting their passports because we do not have a sworn paper from him saying that it is OK for them to get an American passport.

After Ella obtained her citizenship all that was required to be sent in with the rest of the paper work was a copy of the divorce paper stating that she had sole custody of my step daughter. Now adopted.Had to send passport back for name change. No problems except they sent back 10 yr GC. Had to call USCIS and they told me to keep in a safe place.

Tine