child of a k-1 visa holder

I hope someone can help me with this question: My wife came to the U.S. in August 2008 as a k-1 visa holder. We were married in November 2008 and have recently filed all necessary AOS documents. She went for her biometrics in early January and now we wait.

My question is this: Huiyun (my wife) has a 20 year old daughter who lives in China. We would like her to join us in the U.S. to live, go to school, work, etc. What are the steps we need to take to bring her to the U.S.? What might be an appropriate timeframe from the time we file her paperwork to when she would be granted a visa to come to the U.S.? Does anyone know the cost of whatever document filing, etc. ?

Thank you for your help :)

Wow. She could have gotten in quickly with a K-2 Follow to Join, done at same time of filing, wrapped up with the P-3 paperwork.

I think is possible to get a K-2 FTJ in play now, but there is age limit o 21 - if yer gonna do something, do it within the next 24 hours. Good Luck !

There's lots of nuggets here:

http://candleforlove.com/FAQ/CFL_FAQ_P3_Final1.htm - once you've got the page loaded, search for 'K-2'

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

I hope someone can help me with this question: My wife came to the U.S. in August 2008 as a k-1 visa holder. We were married in November 2008 and have recently filed all necessary AOS documents. She went for her biometrics in early January and now we wait.

My question is this: Huiyun (my wife) has a 20 year old daughter who lives in China. We would like her to join us in the U.S. to live, go to school, work, etc. What are the steps we need to take to bring her to the U.S.? What might be an appropriate timeframe from the time we file her paperwork to when she would be granted a visa to come to the U.S.? Does anyone know the cost of whatever document filing, etc. ?

Thank you for your help :)

First off - when does she turn 21? She must APPLY for AOS before she becomes 21, and MAY be turned down if she becomes 21 before her interview.

But you would simply notify the consulate that you wish to open her case. Submit all P3 documents.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=18764&hl=

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

USCONGUZ:

1. What is the procedure for setting up a follow to join case? The principal applicant or the petitioner can tell us during the time of the interview, they can write it on the DS-230 part 1, or mail us a written statement.

2. Should the applicant e-mail or telephone the consulate? See above

follow the link for more information

Thank you for your help :unsure:

Randy, thanks for your guidance. So, i need to send in a Packet 3 for her and also to submit all pertinent AOS documents? How would she attend a biometric appointment? She turns 21 in September 2009. Thanks again !!

Randy, thanks for your guidance. So, i need to send in a Packet 3 for her and also to submit all pertinent AOS documents? How would she attend a biometric appointment? She turns 21 in September 2009. Thanks again !!

No - she will apply for AOS after arrival in the states. You need to mark the envelopes in bright red ink saying "Please Expedite - Potential Age-out". Contact GUZ (by the web email form) soon after they receive the P3 information to schedule an interview when either you or you wife can be there (they have been known to deny K-2's whose parents weren't there). When you submit her AOS application to USCIS, mark the envelope the same way. Your cover letters should carry the same message. They can (and usually do) cooperate.

The timing is tight - try to keep it moving.

Thanks so much for your help :lol:

No - she will apply for AOS after arrival in the states. You need to mark the envelopes in bright red ink saying "Please Expedite - Potential Age-out". Contact GUZ (by the web email form) soon after they receive the P3 information to schedule an interview when either you or you wife can be there (they have been known to deny K-2's whose parents weren't there). When you submit her AOS application to USCIS, mark the envelope the same way. Your cover letters should carry the same message. They can (and usually do) cooperate.

The timing is tight - try to keep it moving.

JIm - cool, sounds like you gots a path, but as Randy mentioned, the timing will be tight.

SO - get the K-2 in play at GUZ - you will contact GUZ directly, seems that mailing in the P-3 docs with a followup email is the place to start.

Just remember though - since yer timing is so tight - you want to get her here asap, and file for AOS within the next 48 hours of her arrival.

Good Luck !! GodSpeed !

JIm - cool, sounds like you gots a path, but as Randy mentioned, the timing will be tight.

SO - get the K-2 in play at GUZ - you will contact GUZ directly, seems that mailing in the P-3 docs with a followup email is the place to start.

Just remember though - since yer timing is so tight - you want to get her here asap, and file for AOS within the next 48 hours of her arrival.

Good Luck !! GodSpeed !

Thanks to the both of you guys :flowers_and_kisses:

You also need to delay your wife's AOS while her daughter is processed. I had filed my wifes AOS when we found out that her ex would allow her daughter to come to the U.S.

I was not able to get the paperwork in before my wife had her AOS interview scheduled and her AOS approved. Once that happened her daughter could no longer follow on K-2 and I had to file an I-130 for her.

You also need to delay your wife's AOS while her daughter is processed. I had filed my wifes AOS when we found out that her ex would allow her daughter to come to the U.S.

I was not able to get the paperwork in before my wife had her AOS interview scheduled and her AOS approved. Once that happened her daughter could no longer follow on K-2 and I had to file an I-130 for her.

The only thing that affects a K-2 follow to join is the timelimit of them receiving their visa within 12 months of their parent.

A K-3 can loose the K-4 by adjusting status, but we have seen cases where GUZ ignored the adjustment and processed the K-4 visa anyway.

this is interesting to me because i am in a similiar situation. its my understanding that a k2 may follow after the k1 has aos approved, but not a k4 after a k3 has aos approved. can someone please verify this?

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for your help. I ended up contacting the consulate by email. Within one week they mailed packets 3 and 4 to my wifes daughter. Her interview is set for March 4. Since her mom is still waiting for AP, i am flying to Shenzhen and will go with her to her medical and also her interview. This is happening really fast (i am not complaining :eyebrow: ) !!

Thanks to everyone for your help. I ended up contacting the consulate by email. Within one week they mailed packets 3 and 4 to my wifes daughter. Her interview is set for March 4. Since her mom is still waiting for AP, i am flying to Shenzhen and will go with her to her medical and also her interview. This is happening really fast (i am not complaining :lol: ) !!

This is GREAT NEWS !!!!

You might want to get a refundable air ticket for your wife, just in case her AP shows up before then.