HK Visa run for L visa

Rick R.

Has anybody done a HK visa run lately?

I entered the mainland on a 60 day L visa and I'm having trouble extending it. I'm in Shenzhen and have registered my temporary residence here but the Shenzhen PSB refuses to process L visa extensions for American citizens. The SZ website, of course, claims that they process L extensions for foreigners but two worthless suits at the actual bureau said that it's SZ policy not to do it and told me to get lost.

Beijing may be an option but it would involve flying there, establishing residence in Beijing, processing the extension, then flying back to Shenzhen and establishing residence here again.

So I'm considering just taking a bus or train to HK and getting a new L visa there. I want to know, in these post-Olympic times, if things have settled down and if my trip will be successful or not.

The posted policy is that I have to get a new L visa in my country of residence but I have read that the HK embassy does not enforce this policy.

Back in LA, I could pay a rush fee and get my visa in one day. Is this possible in HK? Would I be able to apply for a new visa on the same day that I depart mainland China?

I only want to extend my stay for about 30 days. And, BTW, we got NOA2 about a week ago! laugh.gif

Thanks,
Rick

Has anybody done a HK visa run lately?

I entered the mainland on a 60 day L visa and I'm having trouble extending it. I'm in Shenzhen and have registered my temporary residence here but the Shenzhen PSB refuses to process L visa extensions for American citizens. The SZ website, of course, claims that they process L extensions for foreigners but two worthless suits at the actual bureau said that it's SZ policy not to do it and told me to get lost.

Beijing may be an option but it would involve flying there, establishing residence in Beijing, processing the extension, then flying back to Shenzhen and establishing residence here again.

So I'm considering just taking a bus or train to HK and getting a new L visa there. I want to know, in these post-Olympic times, if things have settled down and if my trip will be successful or not.

The posted policy is that I have to get a new L visa in my country of residence but I have read that the HK embassy does not enforce this policy.

Back in LA, I could pay a rush fee and get my visa in one day. Is this possible in HK? Would I be able to apply for a new visa on the same day that I depart mainland China?

I only want to extend my stay for about 30 days. And, BTW, we got NOA2 about a week ago! :P

Thanks,

Rick

Must be someone out there who can answer Rick's question... ;)

Others here have reported doing this over the past couple of years. Attached is a recent thread:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...sa+in+Hong+Kong

One member reports in this thread that he has gone to the local PSB more than once to accomplish this task.

Hey Rick,

I have never done it but I have heard that if you go early enough in the morning in Hong Kong to apply for a Chinese visa that you can receive it later in the afternoon on the same day.

I'm not sure where to go to get the visa but I would guess that any large hotel could tell you. B)

Good luck!

Bob

Prior to the pre-olympics clamp down, you could get same day turn around at the China Travel Services (CTS) kiosk near the north end of the arrivals terminal after exiting customs. Last time I was through there (10/08) I asked if/when this service would again be available... they said "soon". I know that the following week is when some of the restrictions were lifted.

When available, applications turned in by 8:30am are usally returned by 2:30pm the same afternoon.

If it is not possible there, you could try the following (I haven't tried this, but have spoken with expats living in HK who have gotten visas this way with same day turn):

PRC Visa Office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

7th Floor, Lower Block, China Resources Building

26 Harbour Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong

Phone 752-3413-2424

Hours

M-F 9am-12pm and 2pm-5pm