Teaching English in China

I have been kicking around the thought of getting a TESOL cert so I can be employable anywhere in China when I move there.

I was wondering about the differences in the school system there and the social challenges that I would confront. I did fine this little write up (Click Here) and wanted to know if anyone here has or is presently teaching English in China and what your thoughts/advice are on the subject.

Edited by shadeOgray (see edit history)

I have been kicking around the thought of getting a TESOL cert so I can be employable anywhere in China when I move there.

I was wondering about the differences in the school system there and the social challenges that I would confront. I did fine this little write up (Click Here) and wanted to know if anyone here has or is presently teaching English in China and what your thoughts/advice are on the subject.

Hey Robert, moving to China! I presume this is long term goal for you and yours? Very interesting.

Sorry to be OT

Edited by usaRichard (see edit history)

It is very important that you check out the school that you want to teach in very carefully. Like anything else some schools treat their teachers very well, and some treat them very poorly.

Here is a site that you might want to check out: http://www.buxiban.com/schoolBLKCN.asp

Also here is a site for teaching jobs: http://www.eslcafe.com/

Edited by Stepbrow (see edit history)

I taught English in China for four of my five years there. I could probably write a couple papers on the subject; though, I have not taught in Universities. I have taught every age group from toddlers to 50-some-odd. Your experience varies based on where you are, how well you speak Chinese (yes, I said Chinese), how old you are and what country you're from. As far as pay goes, you'll need a bachelor's (Master's is better these days), one of the teaching certs and the ability to haggle!

I taught in China for five plus years. I taught English and also taught Journalism to Journalism majors, as that is my area of education. I taught in Universities, two of them.

My experience, as someone else said, is that it depends on your school how good of a situation you might have. Salary is important, but not the biggest issue. For example, my first year there the school I taught at locked me in behind a big gate at 11 PM. And my wife could not sleep with me. (she is, of course, Chinese).

We moved at the end of the first year. No surprise there. The next four years were a dream. It was great. Again, it all depends on the school and also on your FAO (Foreign Affairs Officer). If you have a good one, life is great. If not, it is hell.

Dave's ESL Cafe is a good site, spend time there.

I would also suggest going to one of the more advanced provinces, at least to start. My first year I was in Anhui, which is great in many ways, but quite conservative in others. They took a bit of a dim view of our interracial marriage.

I have been teaching in Chengdu since last May. I teach at two private schools, one very close to our apartment and the other about 4 miles away. I have a BS in engineering but no prior teaching experience. Although I'm 63, that has not been an issue. At one school I teach only 1.5 hours every Thursday night. At the other school I teach 4 hours every weekend, small classes (4 students in one, 11 in the other), ages are 5 to 10yo. During the New Year break now, while regular classes are out, I was asked if I could teach for 4 hrs each day during the 8 days before Spring Festival and the 7 days after, for a total of 60 teaching hours before the 2nd semester starts... since we weren't going anywhere, I said sure. I'm paid 100rmb/hr, cash, for each weeks total hours. I have no TESOL certificate and let the schools know that up front. I also was offered another part-time position at a private university-level school, 8 hrs every Thursday, which I turned down because it was too far from our apartment, even though they offered to send a driver to pick me up and take me home each day. All of these jobs I found through friends and their connections. I recently asked about getting a Z visa and the school I spend the most time at said they would help me get it,but I would have to pay them 4000rmb (?????). I presently have a 1-yr "spouse" L visa, and I do know the possible consequences of getting caught working without the Z visa. All the foreign teachers at this school do not have a Z visas. It is a very large private school.

Hope that helps,

Bill

Edited by Bill & Tian (see edit history)

You only need a degree or certificate if you want to teach at univerisities or colleges.

Most high schools pay around 6000 to 8000, with all free accommodations, with average 4 periods a day, five days a week.

For a teaching certificate, go to your local educational bureau, they will give you all the brochure you need to apply for the certificate.

Thanks for the information. I don't have a degree just allot of military training. I was told by several people the degree is not a huge problem.

http://www.tesolonline.com/courses/tutor.php

They said a TESOL will definitely help though and I was looking at the above link. I don't have time to do it any other way than online..

I have 4 or 5 years to plan :-) so time is on my side. :blink:

Edited by shadeOgray (see edit history)

Well I'll probably start off in Baotou so it should not be an issue there. Kind of in BFE.

I just want the job to earn some extra cash when I am there. My retirement will be more than enough but I'd like a big house so a bit more cash for the kitty wont hurt none.

I'm currently teaching at a private company, one class a week usually two or three students. And I was also able to get an Internship with LG here in Tianjin where I'll be teaching about an hour of English a day while doing other office work. I have no TEFL and no degree, currently studying and plan on working part time while I do so. It wont be hard for you to find something, but to find the right something may be difficult. Don't settle for the first offer you get, that's for sure. Unless its something great.

I plan on getting a CELTA, its widely regarded as the best/most wanted cert.

So far I'm liking the whole teaching thing, and plan on doing this as long as I am in China.