Tourist Visa for Chinese/American Baby

I hope someone here can help me! I've tried to search, but I don't really know how to search.

We (Chinese citizen and American citizen) have a daughter who has Chinese citizenship and a Chinese passport. As long as we are living in China, we don't want to get her an American passport (we live in a pretty rural area, and they won't give us a long term L visa for her to live here, so we would have to leave China every 6 months).

I want to travel to the US to see family with my baby (leaving my spouse in China) this summer. Traveling to the embassy in Beijing is such a hassle. Does anyone know if I can use the CITIC visa service for children to get a US tourist visa?

I know that one of the requirements is that one of the adults has a visa to the US, but is a US passport good enough? I don't want to spend over 1000 RMB to get denied (and then end up taking the train for 40 hours to Beijing and pay another 900 RMB).

Thanks in advance! I hope my question was clear enough.

I hope someone here can help me! I've tried to search, but I don't really know how to search.

We (Chinese citizen and American citizen) have a daughter who has Chinese citizenship and a Chinese passport. As long as we are living in China, we don't want to get her an American passport (we live in a pretty rural area, and they won't give us a long term L visa for her to live here, so we would have to leave China every 6 months).

I want to travel to the US to see family with my baby (leaving my spouse in China) this summer. Traveling to the embassy in Beijing is such a hassle. Does anyone know if I can use the CITIC visa service for children to get a US tourist visa?

I know that one of the requirements is that one of the adults has a visa to the US, but is a US passport good enough? I don't want to spend over 1000 RMB to get denied (and then end up taking the train for 40 hours to Beijing and pay another 900 RMB).

Not sure but, I think what I have read here before you might need to get a DNA test to prove you are the parent of the child. That is if you are the American citizen and wish to travel to US with Chinese born (non US citizen). I am sure others will chime in about this with better ideas.

Good luck

Edited by MarkHui (see edit history)

Yikes... That would not be easy!

Just to clarify. The baby has one American parent and one Chinese parent. She could get a US passport (but we don't want to go that route until she is older or we move from China).

I hope someone has better news?!

Not sure but, I think what I have read here before you might need to get a DNA test to prove you are the parent of the child. That is if you are the American citizen and wish to travel to US with Chinese born (non US citizen). I am sure others will chime in about this with better ideas.

Good luck

You can get the USA passport, then get the exit visa stamp for later.

failing that, if you want to travel as a family, suggest you get USA tourist visas for your wife and your child.

Are you ready to file a DCF'd I-130?

Warmest Regards..

PS - 40 hours via train to BeiJing? Is there anywhere that's closer? Guangzhou? Shanghai? Shenyang? Chengdu ? A New US Consulate was opened in Wuhan last november, but they're not handling tourist visas, yet.

PPS - Near as I can recall, the 'CITIC' visa service was solely for tour groups, but I could be wrong.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

The snag is that if you get the child a US passport he/she will need a Chinese exit visa to leave the country. China doesn't recognise dual citizenship. I'm not sure how the consulate would react to a tourist visa application. I think they would be understandably cautious and want to make sure that the child's mother is agreeable to the baby going to the US without her. Personally I think your chances are good as long as you point out that if weren't planning on coming back it would be easier to get a US passport. You need to show them without a doubt that the child will return to China.

The snag is that if you get the child a US passport he/she will need a Chinese exit visa to leave the country. China doesn't recognise dual citizenship. I'm not sure how the consulate would react to a tourist visa application. I think they would be understandably cautious and want to make sure that the child's mother is agreeable to the baby going to the US without her. Personally I think your chances are good as long as you point out that if weren't planning on coming back it would be easier to get a US passport. You need to show them without a doubt that the child will return to China.

This is exactly why we don't want to get the US passport (yet, at least). Sure, there are a lot of expats in China that do have both secretly, but then you have to deal with getting visas to a third country to go through.

Another quick question for anyone who is out there. I sent an email to the embassy in Beijing. Do they usually respond?

Also, do you know when you buy the telephone card to schedule the appointment for visas? Can they answer visa questions or are they just there to give you a time?

Thanks so much for all of your help!