Shipping large items to China question

I have some friends that will be retiring and moving to China this year. They need to ship household items and a large book collection to China. They are located in eastern, TN. Does anyone know of any shipping services that they could use that will not be so cost prohibitive? I'm thinking it would be best to ship by shipping container. Any help or advice that anyone could offer will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Juette

I would recommend they look around at britishexpats.com for shipping info... B) These folks are always moving all over the place and shipping questions abound on the forums... :)

I had also heard somewhere that if you can fill 1/8 of a container or more that you can get a good rate...However I believe that the moving company must pack everything for you...No showing up at the dock with your stuff in grocery bags... B)

Edited by rogerluli (see edit history)

The wife is PRC citizen. The husband is US citizen. I'm not sure how they plan for him to stay in China. If I know his wife, she has found a way. I'll check with her and get back to you. I know their house in the USA is for sale and once it sells they are moving to China, permanently. Also, they have already bought a house in China.

The wife is PRC citizen. The husband is US citizen. I'm not sure how they plan for him to stay in China. If I know his wife, she has found a way. I'll check with her and get back to you. I know their house in the USA is for sale and once it sells they are moving to China, permanently. Also, they have already bought a house in China.

Oh it's no problem for them then...no need to even ask...As long as she remains a PRC citizen he can get a spouse visa annually...thanks... :wub: