I'm lost...

some of you may already know I'm living with my girlfriend in Tianjin right now, studying (with money from my own pocket) at a university to bring my mandarin level up a bit. I had planned to study at Beijing International Studies university with the help of the new G.I. bill (they approved this school, and would be funding me to go there).

Just yesterday I received a whopper of an e-mail saying I was "still in the Navy" and that I left early, I'm in the process of working this one out as I am completely dumbfounded of how this could be. (no they didn't call me back, they are saying my contract was not over) If so, they will administratively seperate me, and I will lose my education benefits.

What I'm getting at here is, now I have no real way to pay for college. I could go to a school that was "federally funded" as my bank puts it, in which case I can continue receiving my Stafford loan to go to school. But I've been unable to find any list of schools in China that are federally funded, I don't think there are any considering it would require funding from the us government to a communist school? That leaves me with a few options, 1. Work for another year to save up money and graduate at the age of 29 @_@ or 2. Find a cheap school that probably wont give me as good of an education as I was hoping for, that I can afford (working while studying).

some of you may already know I'm living with my girlfriend in Tianjin right now, studying (with money from my own pocket) at a university to bring my mandarin level up a bit. I had planned to study at Beijing International Studies university with the help of the new G.I. bill (they approved this school, and would be funding me to go there).

Just yesterday I received a whopper of an e-mail saying I was "still in the Navy" and that I left early, I'm in the process of working this one out as I am completely dumbfounded of how this could be. (no they didn't call me back, they are saying my contract was not over) If so, they will administratively seperate me, and I will lose my education benefits.

What I'm getting at here is, now I have no real way to pay for college. I could go to a school that was "federally funded" as my bank puts it, in which case I can continue receiving my Stafford loan to go to school. But I've been unable to find any list of schools in China that are federally funded, I don't think there are any considering it would require funding from the us government to a communist school? That leaves me with a few options, 1. Work for another year to save up money and graduate at the age of 29 @_@ or 2. Find a cheap school that probably wont give me as good of an education as I was hoping for, that I can afford (working while studying).

How can you still be in the Navy? Didn't you get a DD-214 when you were separated?

Guest ShaQuaNew

How can you still be in the Navy? Didn't you get a DD-214 when you were separated?

It appears he didn't. If he had, he would have been legally separated from the USN. One thing for sure is there is little you can do to change their minds. Absent of any proof that you were legally separated, you will be considered to be "In the Navy." Surely having been in the Navy, you knew that you must complete all the paperwork before you left?

I recieved a DD-214 when I left active duty, my contract was 2 active 2 reserves and 4 in IRR. I'm on IRR time (at least I thought I was) When I left the reserve center they gave me a real simple piece of paper to sign saying I was checking out, no DD-214 now that I think about it. During IRR time I was told I would have to come in once a month for a physical, which I planned on doing. But what I'm being told is "I'm still in the Navy" which I know, sounds very vague, and that I'm about to be Admin Sep'ed.

Edited by carl.hops (see edit history)

You have POC and/or reporting Petty Officer - time for a phone call. You may be able to get a waiver on the monthly check in, but you won't know until you have a conversation. IF yer an officer then it's gonna be some officer somewhere, I think.

But - hey - when you have that phone call, suggest that they change , instead, your monthly check in with one of the consular staff in DHS in BeiJing.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

I recieved a DD-214 when I left active duty, my contract was 2 active 2 reserves and 4 in IRR. I'm on IRR time (at least I thought I was) When I left the reserve center they gave me a real simple piece of paper to sign saying I was checking out, no DD-214 now that I think about it. During IRR time I was told I would have to come in once a month for a physical, which I planned on doing. But what I'm being told is "I'm still in the Navy" which I know, sounds very vague, and that I'm about to be Admin Sep'ed.

There is a missing piece here. Surely someone at some point indicated that you were UA or Unauthorized Absence. You must not have completed something.

You have POC and/or reporting Petty Officer - time for a phone call. You may be able to get a waiver on the monthly check in, but you won't know until you have a conversation. IF yer an officer then it's gonna be some officer somewhere, I think.

But - hey - when you have that phone call, suggest that they change , instead, your monthly check in with one of the consular staff in DHS in BeiJing.

Interesting, I'll bring that up. I'm a Petty Officer, I plan on giving a call early in the morning tomorrow when their office is open again. Thanks for the suggestion!

There is a missing piece here. Surely someone at some point indicated that you were UA or Unauthorized Absence. You must not have completed something.

My Chief let me know via e-mail that he was shocked that he was told I was still in the Navy (I didn't just waltz out, I asked admin what my separation date was, they confirmed it I signed the paper and I was gone). And then he informed me that they were planning to admin sep me. It should all be cleared up tomorrow morning, but I wanted to start creating some options for my self as far as school goes.

Reserve centers are famous for screwing up what ordinary mortals couldn't screw up if they tried.

Once they check and find out you completed your active reserve committment they'll get you squared away. Don't expect them to be quick about it though.

All is well, GZBILL was correctomundo! They didnt give me the proper papers to fill out, it can all be taken care of over fax/pdf. Now its back to the waiting game, lets see if they actually have the money for this new G.I. Bill. :rolleyes:

I so wish I had your problems, bro. You wanna avoid all mine ?

Don't ever have children, don't ever get married, and don't ever leave the safety of the university campus, regardless of what country you are in... Oy, life used to be so easy. :-)