What is next after arrival with CR-1?

When our loved one arrives with his/her CR-1, what comes next?

I understand that he'll receive a "green card"? in about 1-4 weeks? Or we can go to the SS office in a couple of weeks after his arrival?

Then will we get documentation for his next step? Or will we have to request somehow?

Does he go through adjustment period?

When and how can he ultimately achieve his citizenship?

Thanks!

any suggestions and hints will help :)

Green card arrives automatically.

SS card may or may not arrive automatically, but usually ppl go to a SSA office 2 to 3 weeks after arrival, and apply in person. Once he has his SSN card, he can apply for State ID card inside of your state.

NO AOS , once you have GC yer done for about 2 years - then you apply for 'removal of conditions'.

He'll be eligible for citizen after 3 years of green card date, can apply after that time tick. It's not automatic though, have to apply for it.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

Green card arrives automatically.

SS card may or may not arrive automatically, but usually ppl go to a SSA office 2 to 3 weeks after arrival, and apply in person.

NO AOS , once you have GC yer done for about 2 years - then you apply for 'removal of conditions'.

He'll be eligible for citizen after 3 years of green card date, can apply after that time tick. It's not automatic though, have to apply for it.

Darnell, it seems you forgot something

"State ID Card" should be done after SS is in hand, then banking

stuff, etc, then get "State DL", that is unless you don't want her/him

to drive

but thats JMO

Thank You guys!

I appreciate the help.

So, that's it for CR-1 then? Not too bad (considering what we've been through to this point).

And what would happen if they forgot to file for citizenship 3 years from now? Do we get a reminder of any kind? :_)

Sleepless, hei - sorry, I wasn't complete... grrrr.

Thank You guys!

I appreciate the help.

So, that's it for CR-1 then? Not too bad (considering what we've been through to this point).

And what would happen if they forgot to file for citizenship 3 years from now? Do we get a reminder of any kind? :_)

Sleepless, hei - sorry, I wasn't complete... grrrr.

No - you either apply or not, as you wish, At any time (after 3 years).

That is about all, other than removal of conditions.

If entry to the USA on a CR-1 is BEFORE 2 years of marriage, the resulting green-card is a conditional card which needs to have an I-751 filed at two years of residency.

If entry to the USA on the CR-1 is AFTER 2 years of marriage the resulting green-card will be a 10 year un-conditional card, NO I-751 needed to be filed at two years of residency.

I know you got the CR-1 visa fairly close to 2 years of marriage, and that mile stone will be soon, so you may consider waiting for 2 years of marriage before entering the USA on the visa.

Hi Dnoblett,

Thanks again for the info :)

In fact, his entry date will be after our 2 year marriage time frame.

I am wondering...what happens if he gets the 10 year green card but doesn't ever apply for citizenship? Wil he then become illegal?

And a bit confused about the 10 year unconditional green card and then the 3 year citizenship (2 year)? application.

Sorry for confusion and the density :)

:)

That is about all, other than removal of conditions.

If entry to the USA on a CR-1 is BEFORE 2 years of marriage, the resulting green-card is a conditional card which needs to have an I-751 filed at two years of residency.

If entry to the USA on the CR-1 is AFTER 2 years of marriage the resulting green-card will be a 10 year un-conditional card, NO I-751 needed to be filed at two years of residency.

I know you got the CR-1 visa fairly close to 2 years of marriage, and that mile stone will be soon, so you may consider waiting for 2 years of marriage before entering the USA on the visa.

If you have been married for two years when he enters the country he will receive a ten year green card. Regardless of which kind of green card he receives, 3 years minus 90 days after the issue date of the green card he will be eligible to apply for US citizenship.

In fact, his entry date will be after our 2 year marriage time frame.

I am wondering...what happens if he gets the 10 year green card but doesn't ever apply for citizenship? Wil he then become illegal?

And a bit confused about the 10 year unconditional green card and then the 3 year citizenship (2 year)? application.

You don't have to apply for citizenship. Just need to renew the green card every 10 years. My father's wife has been doing that for years. Never applied for citizenship. I understand she has been in the US for about 50 years.

I look at it this way- The first, for most people, 2 year GC is 'conditional'. It is conditioned on you proving, two years later, that your marriage is valid. Hence the terminology "conditional" GC.

The 10 year GC is issued based either on the removal of conditions or upon the 2 year conditional window having already been met. In your case, if you file in a timely fashion (Timely means as those guys have explained above) he is issued a 10 year GC after arrival because you have already been married at least two years.

A 10 year GC is also called the Permanent Resident Card. It means exactly that- Permanently a resident with the requirement that the card be renewed every 10 years. Nothing at all to do with either Citizenship or legal/illegal immigrant status.

The 3 year minus 90 days determines when you can first file for citizenship and is based on the green card date. That is, 3 years minus 90 days from the issue date of the card is the first date he is eligible to apply for citizenship. Not entry date and not marriage date.

The benefits of citizenship have been discussed in other threads. For example http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...+of+citizenship