COUNTERFEITS...

A lot of fake 100 yuan bills have been showing up lately in China. We saw it on Chinese news the other day and below is a BBC report. Since laopo is headed for the homeland in 2 weeks she is quite concerned. The most common fakes start with an HD90 serial number and evidently low-grade counterfeit detectors do NOT catch them... :huh:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7819420.stm

A lot of fake 100 yuan bills have been showing up lately in China. We saw it on Chinese news the other day and below is a BBC report. Since laopo is headed for the homeland in 2 weeks she is quite concerned. The most common fakes start with an HD90 serial number and evidently low-grade counterfeit detectors do NOT catch them... :mbounce:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7819420.stm

Should have posted this ten years ago when it was really news. ;)

It's kind of hard to get a fake 100 RMB note in change because it's already the biggest bill in circulation. There are three common ways that one gets stuck with these notes:

1. ATM machines or money changers;

2. Co-workers inthe office who go into your bag to substitute legitimate 100 RMB notes with fake ones; and / or

3. Taxi drivers who take the real 100 RMB note you give them in payment, switch it for a fake one and return it to you stating they can't break such a large bill.

It really isn't rocket science.

The last few times we have been getting exchanges at a bank in the electronics district of Shenzhen - I can say , just can't spell it and I am lazy to look it up now. :mbounce:

Anyway, they are more than happy to stamp every 100 RMB note with their little stamp. The SAID they'd guarantee every bill. Never had an opportunity to test that.

Well, I'm not suggesting there's any real linkage - but -

1. the fake bills were supposedly printed by a Taiwanese Syndicate, in Taiwan (per the original link) and

2. China Business News today on CCTV9 reported that 39 MORE flights between China Mainland and Taiwan were 'allowed' during Chinese New Year (specifically for Taiwan Air Carriers )

So what happens if the airfare is paid for in that phoney money? Hmmmm .. The Taiwanese Syndicates caused 'free air rides' to visit their country during CNY??? ack.

But hey - it's not even a casual linkage - I'm just blowing phoenix smoke out my left earhole.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

And to make things even more exciting for CNY travelers... :yay:

There are now FAKE TRAIN TICKETS as well... :( Just saw this one on the news from HK... :ph34r: So keep your eyes open... :blink: and remember as GZBILL says..."It ain't rocket science"... :)

Fake train tickets have been going on as long as counterfeit bills too, where have you been Roger, post on some counterfeit big ones next time.

There are now FAKE TRAIN TICKETS as well... :( Just saw this one on the news from HK... :P So keep your eyes open... :blink: and remember as GZBILL says..."It ain't rocket science"... :P

Fake train tickets have been going on as long as counterfeit bills too, where have you been Roger, post on some counterfeit big ones next time.

Just trying to provid a public service to our members heading over for CNY to watch out because the scams get mighty thick this time of year... :ph34r:

There are now FAKE TRAIN TICKETS as well... :( Just saw this one on the news from HK... :ph34r: So keep your eyes open... :blink: and remember as GZBILL says..."It ain't rocket science"... :rolleyes:

Ok, tell me how does one get a fake train ticket.....

There are now FAKE TRAIN TICKETS as well... :( Just saw this one on the news from HK... :ph34r: So keep your eyes open... :blink: and remember as GZBILL says..."It ain't rocket science"... :rolleyes:

Someone offers to sell you one outside the train station or even next to the line for tickets saying they can't go on their trip or whatever. I've seen it before. Don't know if they were fake or not . . .

Guest Dylan W

Someone offers to sell you one outside the train station or even next to the line for tickets saying they can't go on their trip or whatever. I've seen it before. Don't know if they were fake or not . . .

Or they stand in line waiting for hours knowing someone will buy their fake ticket if they seem to be standing in line to return it, by holding their ticket in their air and calling out a value.