Relationship evidence

Another question. The instructions for AOS are clear in requiring Passport pictures, employment letters, copies of other documents such as marriage certificates and passport/visa pages, but what about the evidence of relationship materials such as bank cards, YMCA memberships, utility bills, pictures of us together in America, etc? Do we submit that stuff with the application for AOS, or do we wait and bring them with us to the interview? Thanks.

From the information/advice that I have gathered on the CFL website, I am under the impression that one should only submit what is asked for. Although the intentions are good, extra information can lead to additional questions/concerns on the part of the USCIS and thus result in delays.

Throughout this process (K-1/K-2 and AOS) I only submitted the documents/information that was either stated in the instructions or asked for at the interview (GUZ).

I never volunteered additional information.

I will bring a slew of documents/information to my wife's AOS interview, but I plan to only submit what the IO asks for.

Does anyone have an experience and/or advice to the contrary?

Just as I did with my initial I-130 and I-129F filings, I am approaching my for K-3 and K-4 AOS in the same way, with supplying a front-loaded package of material.

Over two years ago, there were many here who clung to the belief that you should only give them the minimum, just what they ask for.

My analysis of what was happening with USCIS and DOS, indicated to me to follow my own instincts and give them everything they would need to adjudicate the case.

I am including photos, my daughter's grade reports from school, evidence of medical and dental insurance coverage, the preverbal utility bills, and three years of joint Form 1040 tax filings etc, as well as all the other required data.

I believe our AOS will go very smoothly, just as my wife's interview went at GUZ.

From USCIS website:

Don't assume the officer will have access to a prior file or record. Submit as complete a packet as possible so the case can be adjudicated from what you submit. Submit a complete packet of information for each petition or application.

Again, this is IMO, each can do as they please.

Submit copies of evidence of both of your names together and whatever else you think that would prove that you're together. Make sure it's neat and have tabs so that it would be easier for them to find the evidence they need. Don't just hand in a giant stack so they would have to look through each and every sheet. If you're neat, organized, and they can find everything they're looking for then you might not even have to go for an interview (via CA). If you do wind up having an interview then make sure you bring the originals to that interview.

AOS: Virtually no relationship evidence is requested to accompany the I-485 petition. It's all factual documentary and eligibility evidence... and of course a check :eatyum:

Once you get the interview letter (if there is an interview), it will relate all the relationship evidence you should bring. Here is a sample on CFL:

Sample AOS Interview Letter

When filing for removal of conditions (10 year greencard), alot of relationship evidence is requested with the petition.

...The instructions for AOS are clear ...

I reviewed the latest instructions for the I-485 and agree that they are clear. They are specific. I would, and did, follow them. If the instructions didn't ask for something I didn't, and still don't, send "extra" stuff.

Relationship evidence is of paramount importance during the removal of conditions, not adjusting status.

I can recall an AOS case or two being RFE'd. But, those were cases that had been transferred to Calif and there was no interview. Those RFE's were easily overcome by providing exactly what was requested.

Keep it simple. Give them what they ask for.

Yes, I followed the I-485, I-131, I-765, and the I-864 instructions to the "T".

Both the K-1 and K-2 AOS packages that I submitted were extremely well organized and very easy to follow.

I believe that is why both my wife and step-son's AP and EAD were approved so quickly and why they both have AOS (2 yr GC) interviews coming up in early February.

I did not submit anything document or information that was not requested in these instructions.

Yes, I received the AOS NOA. The NOA does list a variety of items to bring to the interview.

I plan to bring, to the greatest extent possible, the originals and copies of the requested items.

Some items like the forms listed above I only have copies of, the USCIS has the originals.

As you can see, there is a divergence of opinion on this subject, which has lingered for some time now.

Each must do what they are comfortable with and/or their individual research and maybe own logic, dictates to them.

I went against the prevailing ¡®wisdom¡¯ at the time I filed my I-130 and I-129f packages; however, other than the delay that most experienced getting out of the CSC early last year, my files were problem free and my wife was told by the VO in very explicit terms during her interview, that our case file submission was very well done.

I included several items which were ¡®not asked for¡¯ with those files, which each served to support the bona fides of our relationship.

As I stated previously, this is the way I am approaching my AOS filing for my wife and daughter. I am hopeful to experience an AOS process which does not require a personal interview as a component, thereof.

Whatever one does, follow the letter of the instructions, or include additional supporting documentation, one will most likely achieve positive results, if all the basic requirements are in place.