China Praises Ping Pong Diplomacy

Guest Tony n Terrific

We watched a program on Chinese TV all about the history of this first thaw in relations... ;) Very interesting and really an accident of getting on the wrong bus... :)

My understanding of this was that it was only used to bring into play talks that were already happening. It helped open the door where it looked good for China to do this. I could be wrong.....

We watched a program on Chinese TV all about the history of this first thaw in relations... :P Very interesting and really an accident of getting on the wrong bus... :ph34r:

My understanding of this was that it was only used to bring into play talks that were already happening. It helped open the door where it looked good for China to do this. I could be wrong.....

Well here's China's view of what happened...What I had seen was a story about an American player who got on the wrong bus with all the Chinese players at a ping pong match somewhere...They had been told to never even talk to the Americans but their best player decided it would be too inhospitable not too and that was where it started... :D

http://www.china.org.cn/english/features/olympics/100660.htm

Guest Tony n Terrific

Before the Ping Pong diplomacy Kissinger made a secret trip to Beijing to meet with Mao and Zho Enlai. His goal was to get the Chinese on our side against the Russians. China and then the USSR where having border clashes along the Ussuri River. China knew it was no match for the USSR and needed help. We needed help also. The Americans knew another folly like Vietnam would be foolish to do. In order to maintain the balance of power in Asia the US and China became secret allies. This tied up Russian forces on the Sino-Russian border in case of attack by the Chinese into Siberia so they could not be used in Eastern Europe or possibly the Mid-East and continued to drain the Soviet Union of capital and led to the eventual collaspe of their Empire.

One big Geo-political chess game. They used the Ping Pong games to cover their true intentions.