Reference to 'wife' in Chinese

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very area specific... some areas hold "Lao Po" as endearing and others not as much...

Same can be said for knowing what to call a waitress by certain names£¬ by area can have different meanings. Same for using the word for "miss" (xiao jie)... in some areas, it's a woman of the night...

And as someone pointed out... it's bad practice to assume "Lao" is only meaning old (ie: Lao Ban).

it's also a sign of respect, used as preface to a relatively older friend; used of famous philsopher's of past (Lao Zi)

One would be hard pressed to connote 'old' when talking about a mouse (Lao Shu). Recall, the mouse was the first of the 12 animals to cross the river and won the coveted position on the chinese zodiac.

It's very area specific... some areas hold "Lao Po" as endearing and others not as much...

Quite true, David. I come across this difference often with friends from different areas within China.

My Taiwan friends tell that it's now in vogue (in Taiwan) with the younger set to call their wife Tai Tai.

Quite true, David. I come across this difference often with friends from different areas within China.

My Taiwan friends tell that it's now in vogue (in Taiwan) with the younger set to call their wife Tai Tai.

Every region and family has their own way. Just follow what makes her happy. Do not worry we are well trained and do the same - keep her happy.

We just combine chinese with english. Sometimes I call her Lao Poo Poo and she will call me Lao Ding Dong.

<_< :lol: :lol:

I can see Ying saying that to you! :blink: ... :lol:

Haiqing and I call each other laopo and laogong even though we are not yet legally married ... she likes it and that's what she wants ... of course I usually call her "wo de baobei laopo" meaning "my precious laopo" :blink:

Haiqing tells me that tai tai is to be used in a more formal setting in public and laopo/laogong in a more familiar setting with friends and family.

Have a terrific day!

Bob

:unsure: :dunno: :roller:

I can see Ying saying that to you! :D ... :D

Haiqing and I call each other laopo and laogong even though we are not yet legally married ... she likes it and that's what she wants ... of course I usually call her "wo de baobei laopo" meaning "my precious laopo" :pash:

Haiqing tells me that tai tai is to be used in a more formal setting in public and laopo/laogong in a more familiar setting with friends and family.

Have a terrific day!

Bob

Oh the nicknames never end. PangPang is the big one. Super PangPang. Monkey is interchangeable between both of us. I call her YingYing or YongYong or YongYong monkey. It's embarressingly cheesey!

Guest ShaQuaNew

I see many of you publicly refering to your wives as 'lao po' (old woman).

How do you get away with that? Li says that is very impolite.

I always refer to her as 'chi zi' (honored wife) in public.

I hope for some interesting responses... B)

Okay, here's the deal:

The only time you should ever call your wife qi zi (chi zi), is when you are introducing her to others. It would not be appropriate to refer to her as lao po, when you are talking to others about her.

Also, lao po does not mean old woman. Rather, lao tai tai, or lao tai po, means old woman.

Calling your wife lao po, is the most common way in today's China to refer to your wife when you are speaking directly to her. While not so much a pet name, it's a more intimate way of speaking to her.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

My fiancee asked me to start calling her lao po a long time before we ever discussed marriage. She told me it literally means "wife," but that it's common for a man to call his serious girlfriend that. It has nothing to do with old, she's 24.

She's been calling me lao gong since then. She calls me that, and refers to me as that, in public, and in front of her friends and family, so there's no way she could feel it's in any way inappropriate or too intimate.

She told me lao gong gong means husband's father, and lao po po means husband's mother.

The only time you should ever call your wife qi zi (chi zi), is when you are introducing her to others. It would not be appropriate to refer to her as lao po, when you are talking to others about her.

That's basically what Li said. Except, she likes being called chi zi in private too.

Also, lao po does not mean old woman. Rather, lao tai tai, or lao tai po, means old woman.

Calling your wife lao po, is the most common way in today's China to refer to your wife when you are speaking directly to her. While not so much a pet name, it's a more intimate way of speaking to her.

Interesting. I'm learning new stuff all the time! :D But, Li does not want to be called lao po.

It seems like the correct pinyin would be qi (not chi). But, when I look it up, it's always spelled 'chi'.