Why do people get denied at interview?

Hi all, I am asking this ahead of time as I am planning to file I-130 this week.

What's the most common reason people got rejected at the consulate interview?

Also, does my wife need to know English to attend the interview in Canada (we are permanent residents here) or China? Is there anything she should prepare or know ahead of time before going? Can I be by her side during the interview?

what smilingAsia said

Everybody's background is quite different. I believe the following factors influence the result of interview:

1. Figures on Income Tax Return

2. Communication and presentation skills of the beneficiary, homework by the petitioner.

3. Time gap between your previous marriage and current relationship, how many marriage records the petitioner or beneficiary have

4. Age difference

5. Whether the petitioner has brought any alien to the US before, whether the beneficiary has got visa denied before by any western country

6. Whether the petitioner or beneficiary has any records of being arrested, being charged of something

7. Whether the beneficiary is from Fujian or TaiShan, how many children she is bringing to the US.

8. Luck. Different VO screws different weakness you have. Different weakness is screwed in different time of the year.

what smilingAsia said

Everybody's background is quite different. I believe the following factors influence the result of interview:

1. Figures on Income Tax Return Bingo!

2. Communication and presentation skills of the beneficiary, homework by the petitioner. Agreed. The Chinese SO should approach with confidence of this being only a formality.

3. Time gap between your previous marriage and current relationship, how many marriage records the petitioner or beneficiary have Both of our divorces weren't final until one month before we married.

4. Age difference we have 16 years difference

5. Whether the petitioner has brought any alien to the US before, whether the beneficiary has got visa denied before by any western country

6. Whether the petitioner or beneficiary has any records of being arrested, being charged of something

7. Whether the beneficiary is from Fujian or TaiShan, how many children she is bringing to the US. I know of one CFL member with wife and 2 children from one of those provinces

8. Luck. Different VO screws different weakness you have. Different weakness is screwed in different time of the year. See #2

My comments above and my observations are ...
  1. Income too low; it's pretty cut and dry, I know that some put forward assets they believed should have cleared them but it didn't.
  2. The beneficiary doesn't have the latest tax information (or it wasn't included in the filing); some folks had years where they didn't file. Folks, even if you aren't getting a penny back or only getting a penny back you must file.
  3. Little or no communications; or the only communications via a 3rd party
  4. First started communicating with their Chinese SO while still married; big no-no
  5. Incomplete filing of the forms by the petitioner;
  6. CCP affiliation; easily overcome I understand.

Edited by Yuanyang (see edit history)

Your wife will be interviewed in the country that you were married in. I hope that is Canada. Everything should go much smoother there for you. If you were married in China, she must go to Guangzho for her interview.

Before you file your I-130 do lots of research here. Especially about front loading doucmentation about your relatioship. Facts about your relationship already known by the USCIS are not legally overruled by the DOS, so you will have solid grounds if you must appeal a refusal.

Best of luck to you

I have a question I have not seen addressed here.

Does anyone know or have an opinion if it would be a problem if a person got a Certificate of Marriageability (COM) notarized at GZ ACS office for a Chinese woman and then did not marry them while later (one year) getting a COM (and marrying) for a different Chinese woman? Will they have this in their database?

The GZ office said it was no problem to get a new one as long as one had not used the prior one. I wonder if this would raise a red flag for a person's interview however?

Does anyone know or have an opinion if it would be a problem if a person got a Certificate of Marriageability (COM) notarized at GZ ACS office for a Chinese woman and then did not marry them while later (one year) getting a COM (and marrying) for a different Chinese woman? Will they have this in their database?

The GZ office said it was no problem to get a new one as long as one had not used the prior one. I wonder if this would raise a red flag for a person's interview however?

A Certificate of Marriageability simply says that you are not married. As long as you AREN'T, it's not a problem. It still says the same thing.

Guest jin979
what smilingAsia said

1. Figures on Income Tax Return Bingo!

2. Communication and presentation skills of the beneficiary, homework by the petitioner. Agreed. The Chinese SO should approach with confidence of this being only a formality.

3. Time gap between your previous marriage and current relationship, how many marriage records the petitioner or beneficiary have Both of our divorces weren't final until one month before we married.

4. Age difference we have 16 years difference

7. Whether the beneficiary is from Fujian or TaiShan, how many children she is bringing to the US. I know of one CFL member with wife and 2 children from one of those provinces

8. Luck. Different VO screws different weakness you have. Different weakness is screwed in different time of the year. See #2

My comments above and my observations are ...
  1. Income too low; it's pretty cut and dry, I know that some put forward assets they believed should have cleared them but it didn't.
  2. The beneficiary doesn't have the latest tax information (or it wasn't included in the filing); some folks had years where they didn't file. Folks, even if you aren't getting a penny back or only getting a penny back you must file.
  3. Little or no communications; or the only communications via a 3rd party
  4. First started communicating with their Chinese SO while still married; big no-nohe (Rob) was seperated but not final in divorce when we first communited and met - no problem for us
  5. Incomplete filing of the forms by the petitioner;
  6. CCP affiliation; easily overcome I understand.

Edited by jin979 (see edit history)

It's a big step 'inbetween marriages', right? Your basis is that 'you did not use the first one', yes? The first woman - you never filed any US-based paperwork on her, right? I'm making a stretch here, but if the USC did not file any paperwork for a petition for the first one, all should be fine.

But that's just an assumption. Not even a SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess).

It's a big step 'inbetween marriages', right? Your basis is that 'you did not use the first one', yes? The first woman - you never filed any US-based paperwork on her, right? I'm making a stretch here, but if the USC did not file any paperwork for a petition for the first one, all should be fine.

But that's just an assumption. Not even a SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess).

Your are correct in that I did not file any paperwork/petition for the first chinese woman. I only got a certificate of marriageability as were thought that we might get married. After dating for a few more months we changed our mind. Exactly one year later I got another certificate of marriagability for my current wife. I was just wondering if they would hold it against you for getting two certificates of marriability (one year apart).

Hi all, I am asking this ahead of time as I am planning to file I-130 this week.

Also, does my wife need to know English to attend the interview in Canada (we are permanent residents here) or China? Is there anything she should prepare or know ahead of time before going? Can I be by her side during the interview?

I would think if you did not know the name of your husband or the country of the petitioner, red flag, anything else at interview purely subjective. nothing really definitive.

I would think if you did not know the name of your husband or the country of the petitioner, red flag, anything else at interview purely subjective. nothing really definitive.

At GUZ your in a different world, believe me. If you didnt floss your teeth the day of the interview, denied. If your left foot hit the floor first when getting up in the morning, denied. They are very very tough there. You are at their mercy.