CORRUPTION...THE POLL...

21 members have voted

1. 1. How large of a problem do you think corruption is in China?

• Huge...It filters through just about everything...
    • There is corruption but it isn't any worse than anywhere else...
    • China is squeaky clean...

I don't know I always get my lunch handed to me whenever I have the audacity to suggest that China has a huge problem with corruption... :mobrun:

So how about a poll so that the quiet folks can have their say as well as the usual supects... :lol:

I know my poll choices are not especially wide so please post your own thoughts... :huh: (as if I could stop anybody... :rolleyes: )

When I lived in GZ, I had bought into a partnership for an IT firm. We had a line item in our accounting books that tracked how much each 'bribe', and payable to 'who' and for 'what' .

Unless I missed something, we rarely paid anything to government official - mostly we made 'gifts' for getting the engagement contracts signed.

This was in 2001-2002. YMMV, maybe things have changed?

Guest Tony n Terrific

A former New York City Mayor Wm. O'Dweyer in the 1940s said about corruption the best. It does not matter if they are Gangsters or a Businessmen their wallets are always very attractive.

Speaking as a resident of Illinois, I'm fairly famliar with corruption, political and otherwise. :rolleyes: It IS everywhere but I believe Chinese officials have it down to a science like no other place on earth. The sheer size of the country and the difficulty of the the CCP's ability to maintain any real checks and balances over local officials makes it ripe for corruption like few other countries IMHO.

Speaking as a resident of Illinois, I'm fairly famliar with corruption, political and otherwise. :mobrun: It IS everywhere but I believe Chinese officials have it down to a science like no other place on earth. The sheer size of the country and the difficulty of the the CCP's ability to maintain any real checks and balances over local officials makes it ripe for corruption like few other countries IMHO.

Golly this is terrible... :huh:

Why is everyone agreeing with me??? :rolleyes: 8-0-0... :lol:

I can't agree with you - I wouldn't say it filters through everything. I don't see it myself - my wife keeps me pretty well insulated from any financial issues, except to say, "Here's my wallet, dear!".

I'm not quite clear on who is getting who's wallet... :ph34r: But thanks for not agreeing...I was afraid I died and went to heaven... :)

My wife of 8 years was a senior executive for a large government connected company in China that bought high technology equipment for all of China. Her personal account that she handled was 30 Million USD Dollars and she set in on other accounts exceeding 300 Million USD.

I can tell you that CORRUPTION in China is in fact alive and doing very, very well. That is all I can say about that.

Randy, perhaps you are right, when we go shopping I am only allowed to carry the wallet and only hand it to her and then put it back in my pocket.

Larry